PDA

View Full Version : Can I use my FFL03 for my friends purchases?

cornholio1
08-16-2006, 6:32 PM
I know the ATF says I cannot tranfers C&R products I buy to someone who I know has intention to use it improperly, but can I use it to buy a couple SKSs for my friend? Hes responsible. Can I just log it in and out? Thanks

blkA4alb
08-16-2006, 6:35 PM
I sure hope your not asking if it is acceptable to do a straw purchase for someone "responsible." Is there a certain reason they can't buy it for themselves?

cornholio1
08-16-2006, 6:37 PM
I sure hope your not asking if it is acceptable to do a straw purchase for someone "responsible." Is there a certain reason they can't buy it for themselves?

Yea. They are responsible. No Tax, Free Ship, and no DROS, and Excellent Condition. Is it legal?

ocabj
08-16-2006, 6:45 PM
You could buy the rifle for yourself. Then decide that you no longer want the rifle and sell/transfer it to your friend. Just be sure to get his information to enter into your log book for the disposition entry. It is your responsibility to make some effort to ensure that he is not eligible to purchase a firearm.

JPglee1
08-16-2006, 6:47 PM
I know the ATF says I cannot tranfers C&R products I buy to someone who I know has intention to use it improperly, but can I use it to buy a couple SKSs for my friend? Hes responsible. Can I just log it in and out? Thanks

Do you mean Pre-56 russian SKSs or Yugos?

Is it legal to F-2-F sell a Yugo M59 or M59/66? I know it is OK to do it with a pre 56 Russian.

J

EOD Guy
08-16-2006, 6:47 PM
Yea. They are responsible. No Tax, Free Ship, and no DROS, and Excellent Condition. Is it legal?

NO NO NO NO

stevie
08-16-2006, 6:49 PM
SKS, only a Russian pre-56.

cornholio1
08-16-2006, 8:24 PM
So i guess the consenses is YES, but a pre 1956 russian sks only?

Mssr. Eleganté
08-16-2006, 8:34 PM

It is against the law for a C&R FFL to order C&R firearms for other people. While it is OK for you to sell something from your collection to your friend, you can't order it with the intent of selling it to your friend.

But you have kind of just admitted your intent on a public forum.

If you sell a handgun to your friend or a long gun that is less than 50 years old, you are going to have to do the transfer through a California FFL Dealer anyway.

TonyNorCal
08-16-2006, 8:37 PM
When ordering with your C&R into Cali you're bound by Cali's 50 year rule. So even if the feds designate something a C&R it also must exceed 50 years. So Yugo and Albanian SKSs are out.

It's legal to sell items from your collection to enhance your collection. It's not legal to buy something specifically for someone else.

blkA4alb
Amendment II, that was my point. He is openly admitting to commiting a straw purchase. :rolleyes: But remember the guy is "responsible."

Elandur
Probably the whole "50 years or older" deal. Not sure if anybody aside from the russians were making C&R eligible SKS's before '56 now since people seem to be specifying the russian thing.

Also, what's the definition of a straw purchase? I've been hearing that a lot. I think I have it figured out, but a real explanation couldn't hurt.

Kestryll
08-16-2006, 8:38 PM
What you're trying to do is find a way to make an illegal action look legal.
No matter how you dress it up you are intending to buy a weapon under your license solely for another person. This is a 'strawman sale' and illegal.
There are provisions for 03FFLs to sell to non FFL holders occasionally but it is meant mainly for the rare times when you want to thin your collection, not to help out a friend or make some side cash.
What some are refering to is doing one but calling it the other. it would be hard to prove but if BATFE looked into it you could have problems.

It's $30, have your friend get his own license and then have contests to see who can go broke with the most rifles first!

cornholio1
08-16-2006, 8:38 PM
I am gonna buy 2-3 myself for my collection next to my garands. I just wanted to know if I could. I guess not. I'm just gonna buy em for myself then. Its not worth getting in trouble for a couple bucks.

grammaton76
08-17-2006, 11:48 AM
I was kinda hoping, when I first got my license, that I could order cheap Mosin-Nagants with it and give most of my friends one for their Christmas/birthday combined present this year.

Then I figured out that there wasn't really much of a way to do this within the intent of the C&R license, even though it's legal to sell face-to-face without paperwork on 50+ year old rifles.

Oh well, it's still a license to cash-and-carry that SVT-40 I'll be getting one of these years!

50 Freak
08-17-2006, 1:01 PM
To the original poster.....

You ARE NOT going to buy that rifle with the intent of selling it to your friend.

You ARE going to buy the rifle for your own collection. If you decide that you don't want it, then as long as it is over 50 years old and the buyer is not legally forbidden to own a firearm.

You can decide to sell it to whomever. There is nothing illegal on about that.

End of discussion.