PDA

View Full Version : Letters to senators

thomye
08-16-2006, 6:52 PM
I like your site and i like what it's trying to achieve, but my concern is that as much as you ask people to send letters, it doesn't happen. The funny thing, the people fighting against guns will go to no ends while the people fighting for guns seem to think they still have the right which in California has been stripped down the almost nothing.

At any rate, before i actually start ranting, i thought you might consider starting a polling page where you proxy letters for poeple. since you already have email addresses, you should draft letters and send them on behalf of members. Give all members a chance to vote on a poll that answers yes or no on the proxy letter. Then you can send out emails by using your database with the from address as your member.

This way you konw exactly how many letters went out and to how many senators. I recently send a brick to Diane Feinstein and Barbara Boxer. I did it online and someone took care of all the leg work. I just paid them.

I think you'll find better success. just a suggestion.

Nylo
08-23-2006, 12:10 PM
One thing I noticed when I moved to PRK is that most people whine about issues but do little to be proactive. The typical line..... "I just donít have the time." Which I found is a load of crap. I have never met more lackadaisical individuals in my life. I feel everyone thinks the other is carrying the flag so they donít have to.

This is a good idea. I would personally like to know how many CalGuns members are vigilant in pressuring these (our) useless politicians.

tankerman
08-24-2006, 3:50 AM
Writing a letter to Feinstien or Boxer about "gun rights"? Are you kidding? As long as though two are in office all you will be doing is giving them a good laugh. The question I wish she be forced to answer is if she supports indiviuals right to bear arms in Isreal. I would love to listen to that response.

Pokey
08-24-2006, 9:08 AM
I actually do send letters to 'Boxerstein' from time to time although usually not on specific upcoming legislation because I figure all that that will accomplish is to alert them to it so they can vote anti- on it. I usually get canned form resposes back.

brassburns
08-26-2006, 7:35 PM
I realize our letters to Feinstein and Boxer will have little effect upon changing their position on the 2nd Amendment, but by doing nothing, we are doing exactly what they want us to do....NOTHING.

Send off that letter or email. Sure it might get trashed or deleted, but at least you can say, "I did something. What about you?"

When my kids get older, they may or may not be interested in shooting sports, but at least I want them to have a choice.

Randy

tankerman
08-27-2006, 7:55 AM
I realize our letters to Feinstein and Boxer will have little effect upon changing their position on the 2nd Amendment, but by doing nothing, we are doing exactly what they want us to do....NOTHING.

Send off that letter or email. Sure it might get trashed or deleted, but at least you can say, "I did something. What about you?"

When my kids get older, they may or may not be interested in shooting sports, but at least I want them to have a choice.

Randy
Doing something that is ineffective is the same as doing nothing, but it wastes energy. Thats like telling Chuck Manson to stop acting crazy, it ain't gonna happen, it might make you feel good, but there is really no point.

Nylo
08-28-2006, 12:05 AM

Randy

Brassburns, you can board my boat anytime!

All of you keep pushing the letters and email. I like to approach it at a different angle. I write in behalf of groups like Pink Pistols, and womenís rights organizations. Dont make it just a "your rights, and a 2nd amendment" issue.

Though Iím not gay I fully support Pink Pistols and their cause. I make my letters to DiFi, Bouncer, and other useless players a gay rights and or womenís rights issue of self-protection.

Tankerman, with all due respects, I donít get you. This is exactly what I was pointing out in my first letter. Imagine if our forefathers had your attitude!

Nylo

tankerman
08-28-2006, 5:11 AM
Brassburns, you can board my boat anytime!

All of you keep pushing the letters and email. I like to approach it at a different angle. I write in behalf of groups like Pink Pistols, and womenís rights organizations. Dont make it just a "your rights, and a 2nd amendment" issue.

Though Iím not gay I fully support Pink Pistols and their cause. I make my letters to DiFi, Bouncer, and other useless players a gay rights and or womenís rights issue of self-protection.

Tankerman, with all due respects, I donít get you. This is exactly what I was pointing out in my first letter. Imagine if our forefathers had your attitude!

Nylo
Nylo, nothing personal, but you are not writing the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution(forefathers?). Being effective is contacting politicians and others in the community that do not wear ear plugs and can effect long term goals. The three witches of Californian politics are serving their global adgenda, while a letter from the "Pink Pistols" may cause one of them to control their laughter for an extra second thats about all it will do.There is more opportunity in trying to influence voters and increase membership in shooting sports organizations than trying to change the political views of a few old hags. I am being realistic.

LeoC
08-28-2006, 7:55 AM
While I can understand tankerman's idea that writing letters to gun-hating politicians can seem like a waste of time and energy, I think we should all bear this in mind:

These gun-hating politicans believe that they represent the majority opinion, and perhaps sometimes they do. They believe that everybody in their district thinks like they do. They need to realize that there IS a dissenting opinion on these issues from their own districts and they can't assume they'll have the full backing of their district on whatever cockamanie law they want to place on the books next.

If these politicans hear nothing to say otherwise, they will ASSUME CONSENT.

Ok, that being said, Californian gun owners are an apathetic bunch (voters and activists excepted). That's just the brutal honest-to-goodness truth. If every gun-owner in California voted to support gun rights, we wouldn't be in the miserable state we're in now. Yet now, even more Californians are throwing in the towel thinking, "it's too late now" or "my vote won't make a difference" or "I'll move out of here eventually anyway". So I support anything that will make it quicker and easier to make your opposition known to those who would otherwise assume they have your consent.

I support the idea of form letters for all Calguns members and California gun rights supporters. Since the gun-haters won't read them, I think form letters are fine. In fact, just form SUBJECT lines would usually do it (ie. "NO on AB352 (Koretz)" ), the form letters are just in case the gun-banner or one of their staff actually bothers to open and read the email. Form letters would make it quick and easy to let our politicans know that there are people who are not happy with them.

So +1 thomye. Your form letters idea sounds like a good one to me :)

Nylo
08-28-2006, 3:34 PM
Nylo, nothing personal, but you are not writing the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution(forefathers?). Being effective is contacting politicians and others in the community that do not wear ear plugs and can effect long term goals. The three witches of Californian politics are serving their global adgenda, while a letter from the "Pink Pistols" may cause one of them to control their laughter for an extra second thats about all it will do.There is more opportunity in trying to influence voters and increase membership in shooting sports organizations than trying to change the political views of a few old hags. I am being realistic.

Ok Tankerman. Maybe you could take a break knocking members that are trying to do the impossible and tell us just what do you do to help our cause?

BTW: When I send my letters, and faxes complaining about gun rights I usually get a short one page form letter. When I write about Gays & Women I get a two page response that addresses particular issues that I have brought up. Does this mean anything? Maybe not but its something to think about.

tankerman
08-28-2006, 4:12 PM
Ok Tankerman. Maybe you could take a break knocking members that are trying to do the impossible and tell us just what do you do to help our cause?

BTW: When I send my letters, and faxes complaining about gun rights I usually get a short one page form letter. When I write about Gays & Women I get a two page response that addresses particular issues that I have brought up. Does this mean anything? Maybe not but its something to think about.

The discussion was about effective communication. Thats not knocking members. What is this the tender hearts club?
I write letters and make calls(no faxs),I also try to inform friends and coworkers on issues they may not be aware of, also I make monetary contributions. I do some volunteer work, it's difficult with two childern under 3 years old.