PDA

View Full Version : As a hunter I find it sad that.........................

jabell
01-17-2011, 11:55 AM
the California state flag has a species that is extinct in our state.
I found that most hunters are truly extreme environmentalists of a different nature at heart even if it's just to provide more hunting opportunities.
Ultimately my experience is hunters just want to keep things wild.
I was forced to converse with some true died in the wool CA liberals & I found it fascinating that they were clueless to the fact that we have the above mentioned fact flying proudly on our flag.
I'd love to hear your thoughts,
Jeff

ElvenSoul
01-17-2011, 12:11 PM
Our national bird the same thing.

bubbagump
01-17-2011, 12:25 PM
I hunt
I fish
I hike
I am a tree hugger

And I'm very aware of the fact that there are no grizzly bears in California

Sad:(

EDIT: I also have no party affiliation...

professionalcoyotehunter
01-17-2011, 12:26 PM

What do you mean? There are plenty of Bald Eagles left.

IrishPirate
01-17-2011, 12:34 PM
.....people don't realize that hunters contribute more to wildlife conservation than any other group. All those taxes and fees go to helping keep game there for next year. More hunters actively participate in wildlife restoration than animal rights groups do. It's sad that we don't get respect for that...

jabell
01-17-2011, 12:37 PM
state bird is thriving: valley quail.
national bird is threatened in the lower 48.
Grizzly bear in CA: Extinct.
disturbing.
Jeff

TadyMan
01-17-2011, 1:01 PM
I agree with irishpirate. I would love nothing more than to see more animals running around in their natural envirnoment. I think that home development and pollution is what is really lowering the animal and fish population. No one will say anything about a mall or new housing track going up in an area where thousands of animals live because someone is making a ton of money on it. As hunters and fisherman we are a dying breed. Pretty soon (if its not already) its going to cost way too much money to hunt or fish. I know my hunting and fishing have been cut back due to cost. Im sure other outdoorsmen will agree...

Cokebottle
01-17-2011, 1:17 PM
I've seen 5 in the last 10 years without actively looking for them.

Shoot-it
01-17-2011, 1:24 PM
Jerky hunter's during the 49er gold rush helped wipe them out.

This reminds me of the movie Jeremiah Johnson. So you want to hunt GRIZ!

chris
01-17-2011, 1:47 PM

umm no! i saw one not too long ago. and last year on a fishing trip to Catalina Island we saw one there. so no they are not extinct.

this states game animals are poorly managed period and it's not the game wardens, or the biologists that work for the DFG it's the county councils that have the final word on game in the respective county. combine those people and ignorant liberals, enviromentalists that have no clue on managing animals you have a recipe for disaster.

the mountain lions have devestated our deer heards. they are getting worse that animal has no control over it other than a FED guy to come out and shoot a pesty mountain lion. the mountain lions are everywhere in this state they were never in any danger of extinction.

we all hunt and we see the piss poor management we have and we can really do nothing about it due the people who really have the last word on it. game wardens know what needs to be done and no one listens to them. i have talked to game wardens when i see them and it's pretty positive when i talk them about this. they also will tell you where they see deer at.

we truly live in a state that IMO is trying to destroy it's natural resources and the means to manage it properly.

180ls1
01-17-2011, 2:44 PM
Im a hunter and am all for preserving game but its time we kill off the wolves again, they are a menace and take down some of the biggest animals.

hybridatsun350
01-17-2011, 2:54 PM

What do you mean? There are plenty of Bald Eagles left.

Yea, go to Alaska! They're like pigeons in San Francisco! :p

Edit: Far from extinct...

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9361/picture1fc.png

Spyder
01-17-2011, 7:07 PM
disturbing.
Jeff

I've seen 5 in the last 10 years without actively looking for them.

Hell, I've seen 10 in the last two months! There's a bunch that hang out all around Butte Creek up by Chico, I saw three out at Lake Sonoma just two weeks ago, and I saw three more while hanging out at Scottys on the Sac River outside of Chico. Two parents and a juvenile flew right over the patio while I was having a dang fine cold beer!

AndrewMendez
01-17-2011, 10:18 PM
I have only seen 1 bald eagle, and it was about 3 feet from me on Catalina Island. It opened its wings to fly away after a strong staring contest with me, and I swear I thought I was going to be knocked on the floor. The wing span that close is huge.
Grizzlies on the other hand...have they really been gone since the 50's? I remember reading an article about them...nobody has tried to release a few dozen into the wild for re population like they do with other animals?

ETA: According to wikipedia, the last Grizzly in California was shot in 1922.

Interloper
01-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Im a hunter and am all for preserving game but its time we kill off the wolves again, they are a menace and take down some of the biggest animals.
Can't say I've seen a lot of wolves in CA.

hnoppenberger
01-17-2011, 10:38 PM
Plenty of bald eagles saw one fishing irvine lake during the summer. the more north you go, the thicker they get. I hope coyotes keep growing in number :D

180ls1
01-18-2011, 6:48 AM
Can't say I've seen a lot of wolves in CA.

Not in California but in the country in general, most of the hunters in the states that do have them will tell you what they have done to the game heard.

Rusty_Buckhorn
01-18-2011, 8:39 AM
griz being extinct in CA is no accident. There is just not enough room in CA for such a large predator. That goes right along with the wolf. It's not a shame... it's life. Some animals CAN NOT coexist with humans, it's just the way it is. A lone griz can kill hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of calves in it's lifetime, not to mention the occasional person who he happens upon. Do a little research on Montana.... major griz issues, and probably only about 10% as densely populated.

Spyder
01-18-2011, 8:54 AM
Not all of California is highly populated...Browns would do just fine in quite a bit of the state.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-18-2011, 8:58 AM
Plenty of bald eagles saw one fishing irvine lake during the summer. the more north you go, the thicker they get. I hope coyotes keep growing in number :D

With me out there it is highly unlikely.:D

Coyotes are spreading faster than ever before and are now found in parts of the country they never were before.

Interloper
01-18-2011, 9:10 AM
griz being extinct in CA is no accident. There is just not enough room in CA for such a large predator. That goes right along with the wolf. It's not a shame... it's life. Some animals CAN NOT coexist with humans, it's just the way it is. A lone griz can kill hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of calves in it's lifetime, not to mention the occasional person who he happens upon. Do a little research on Montana.... major griz issues, and probably only about 10% as densely populated.

That's the bottom line. California just isn't big enough for a healthy population of wolves or bears.

Goldseeker
01-18-2011, 9:18 AM
Hunters are (typically) by nature are conservationists, managers, and practical.

Environmentalists (typically) are stop-everything-anywhere-anytime, hate-everything-mankind-does, nuts who impose their greenie religion on society. It is a debilitating disease of advanced societies.

Rusty_Buckhorn
01-18-2011, 9:38 AM
Hunters are (typically) by nature are conservationists, managers, and practical.

Environmentalists (typically) are stop-everything-anywhere-anytime, hate-everything-mankind-does, nuts who impose their greenie religion on society. It is a debilitating disease of advanced societies.

not to mention, most of their crackpot ideas are paid for with our license/tag revenue, NOT their tax dollars.

Rusty_Buckhorn
01-18-2011, 9:43 AM
Not all of California is highly populated...Browns would do just fine in quite a bit of the state.

yeah, cuz they'll stay in the mountains, chasing deer and elk forever. They'll never realize how much easier it is to kill cattle, or venture into the populated ares. Griz are NOT black bears. They are NOT afraid.

edwardm
01-18-2011, 10:47 AM
disturbing.
Jeff

Yeah. A bunch of the state birds are thriving in my freezer and a bunch more are thriving in a ginger-sesame-garlic marinade for dinner tonight.

:)

chicoredneck
01-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Frankly grizly being extinct in California is not that bad of a thing. The grizzlys used to raise hell with the cattle farmers in california. They were more aggressvie and carnivoruse than there cousins in Alaska. They also used to frequent the river bottoms and were responsible for countless maulings / killings. Think about traveling the woods having to worry about grizzlys warever you go. Those who have traveled to Alaska know that this feeling is not a good one.

jabell
01-18-2011, 12:20 PM
* the last known grizzly was shot in ca in 1922.

* bald eagles are doing well now that we stopped using DDT which was moving up the food chain & causing their eggs to be too thin.

* bears are probably the coyotes worst nightmare.
once they stumble across a den all they got to do is dig it up.
other than mountain lions & bears no other animal can take them out.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-18-2011, 12:24 PM
I am the other animal that takes them out.:D

DannyInSoCal
01-18-2011, 12:25 PM
The last Wounded Warrior event I attended included a "fly over" by a bald eagle at the end of of our national anthem. I'll try to post the video...

Interloper
01-18-2011, 1:42 PM
Tons of Bald Eagles up here. I got to see one swoop down and take out a canvasback right in front of me while fishing Sardine Lake.

Mikeb
01-18-2011, 2:21 PM
If you want to see bald eagles float Cache Creek , the drain out of Clear Lake , from the road to the whitewater put in. Now is the right time of year. I did it some years ago and the sky was full of them. At one point I saw 21+ in the sky.
take care
Mike

lewdogg21
01-18-2011, 2:33 PM
If you REALLY want to see Bald Eagles check out Lower Klamath NWR in December. The Eagles follow the migrating wild life and feast upon the thousands of migratory waterfowl.

One time up there it seemed like every 50-100' there was another Baldie sitting on the ice waiting for a meal.

There is also a number of Golden Eagles in the Sac Valley. I've seen them up in D-10 numerous times (NE Of Marysville).

But yeah I don't want to deal with Grizzlies while hunting.

ElvenSoul
01-18-2011, 2:35 PM
Why don't they clone the bear?

professionalcoyotehunter
01-18-2011, 3:04 PM
Why clone a nuisance animal? Also the vegans would be made if we cloned a meatasaurus,:D

CACitUP
01-18-2011, 4:21 PM
I cant wait till they start releasing those cloned wooly mammoths.......

Rob454
01-18-2011, 4:59 PM
u
the mountain lions have devestated our deer heards. they are getting worse that animal has no control over it other than a FED guy to come out and shoot a pesty mountain lion. the mountain lions are everywhere in this state they were never in any danger of extinction.

Don't forget the bears also. the limit is a fork and horn ( I guess you can call it either a two or 4 pointer depending on how you count points)
They need to start allowing cougar hunting. A SINGLE cougar requires about 25 square miles of range to feed itself and possibly her cubs ( if female)
There are so many cougars that they are attacking people and pets. They are frequently seen in the OC canyons.
These animals really have no natural predators and food is very easy for them to find with peoples pets out at night. bears and cougars have been associating people with food for a long time.
One area where I go hunting at I've seen more bears and signs of bears and very very few deer. next time Im gonna bring a bear tag along. Would be easier for me to get a bear than a deer.

Tanner68
01-18-2011, 7:27 PM
If we want to bemoan the loss of California habitat and game species, let's talk about the whole Central Valley. There was an enormous seasonal lake in the south end, numerous sloughs and marshes and streams and grassland. There were enormous numbers of elk, antelope, upland game, and waterfowl. And now it is a shell of it's former self. The elk are behind a few sad fences. Two little herds of antelope around Carrizo. Most of the wetland is gone. I don't know exactly what the point is, but I guess we can talk about progress and tradeoffs and the inevitable. It is amazing to read early first hand accounts of what it was like.

ScottB
01-18-2011, 9:29 PM
disturbing.
Jeff

CA grizzly was a distinct subspecies. It is extinct everywhere. Intentionally exterminated as a nuisance. Last one was shot in the early 1900's near San Juan Capistrano.

American Bald Eagle was removed for the threatened list in the lower 48 in 2007.

I am doing my best to cut down the CA (valley) quail numbers, but I am only one guy with a 10/day limit.

LoneStalker
01-18-2011, 9:56 PM
I've often pondered this same topic. My parents live off of the Santa Margarita River in Southern California where Ca Grizzly once roamed. I go for runs on the river and I think to my self "man I wish I had a good reason to carry my .45 out here", but I don't...besides the the occasional mt. lion and rattle snake the woods are pretty much harmless, as long as you don't get lost. And yes we do need to be able to hunt Mt. Lions. My mom put a stalk on one in her deadly silent Toyota Prius. It was standing right on her driveway...broadside i might add.

LoneStalker
01-18-2011, 10:02 PM
"you sure you know how to skin GRIZZ?"

jabell
01-19-2011, 6:13 PM
did not know the ca grizz was a sub species.
that makes it even worse.
can you elaborate on what made it different than other brown bears?
jeff

Interloper
01-19-2011, 8:51 PM
Here's what "black bears" look like up here in the Sierras:
http://blog.jetsettingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Lake-Tahoe-Bears.jpg