PDA

View Full Version : what happens if your AR lower is damaged

chris
08-16-2006, 5:59 AM
i have a question that is not really addressed here atleast not one that i have seen.

what happens and god forbid it does if your AR lower reciever is damaged :eek: and cannot be repaired are you able or allowed to get it replaced?

my gut tells me that you would be screwed and out an AR.

let me know if anyone have any exeperience in this area and or knowledge of it.

on a side note i look forward to the thread on the hearing.:D

metalhead357
08-16-2006, 6:28 AM
Both theoretically and (sometimes reality) one would send it back to the manufacturer for repair; if they cant repair it- the original part is destroyed and new one (reciever with the serial number) is issued. This is all assuming the gun is under warrentee....but I assume the same could/would happen out of warrentee (but with a fee)..........

chris
08-16-2006, 8:22 AM
my AR is in fine shape this is just a hypthetical question if the problem ever happened to anyone.

your answer sounds like a logical one. also what about the registration that someone would have on said lower reciever?

Fjold
08-16-2006, 9:12 AM
If they get listed as AW's this would become more complicated. I bought a second lower receiver just in case.

blkA4alb
08-16-2006, 9:35 AM
my AR is in fine shape this is just a hypthetical question if the problem ever happened to anyone.

your answer sounds like a logical one. also what about the registration that someone would have on said lower reciever?
The registration would still be the same. The receiver with your registered serial number would be destroyed and a new one with the same number created.

blkA4alb
08-16-2006, 9:37 AM
If they get listed as AW's this would become more complicated. I bought a second lower receiver just in case.
Just two? :D

Pokey
08-16-2006, 9:41 AM
It sounds like the question is regarding a registered AW that is damaged. Can it be replaced or are you SOL? I wondered myself, knowing our DOJ, I would guess the SOL option is more likely.

chickenfried
08-16-2006, 9:45 AM
I'd say it depends on what brand of lower. One guy damaged his stag and was able to get a replacement with the same serial number. I contacted Fulton Armory, they said they'd be unable to provide a replacement with the same serial number.

PistolKidd
08-16-2006, 10:14 AM
It's a big stretch if you think you'll get a new receiver stamped with the same serial number. This is totally on the manufacturer to provide regardless of warranty issues or not. Some companies will and some wont- but i dont think any company has a policy regarding this. It's discretionary at best and if you think you can get a new one with the same serial number, more power to you.

Personally, I would and did, purchase multiple receivers for this event. Right now, the pricing for receivers has stabilized and is somewhat closer to prices you find out of California. I find that purchasing excess receivers a much better option than relying on just 1 and hoping that in some unfortunate event, the OEM or DOJ allows for some serial number 'manipulation'.

As I said, receivers are now fairly cheap.. buy a couple and register them all if you're ever given the chance. It's much better insurance than hoping the DOJ (or manufacturer) will come through for you.

PanzerAce
08-16-2006, 10:32 AM
well, Stag has said that they replace lowers with one of the same serial if it gets destroyed/damaged beyond repair, so personally, im set :D

gose
08-16-2006, 11:02 AM
It's a big stretch if you think you'll get a new receiver stamped with the same serial number. This is totally on the manufacturer to provide regardless of warranty issues or not. Some companies will and some wont- but i dont think any company has a policy regarding this. It's discretionary at best and if you think you can get a new one with the same serial number, more power to you.

Personally, I would and did, purchase multiple receivers for this event. Right now, the pricing for receivers has stabilized and is somewhat closer to prices you find out of California. I find that purchasing excess receivers a much better option than relying on just 1 and hoping that in some unfortunate event, the OEM or DOJ allows for some serial number 'manipulation'.

As I said, receivers are now fairly cheap.. buy a couple and register them all if you're ever given the chance. It's much better insurance than hoping the DOJ (or manufacturer) will come through for you.

I managed to get Glock to give me a new frame with the same serial :)

Mssr. Eleganté
08-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Even if the manufacturer of your lower says that they can replace your receiver with one that has the same serial number in the event you ever damage it, you have to consider that they might not even be in business 5 or 10 years from now. Or they could become a company with really bad customer service when the owner's snotty little kid takes over. Or they may develop some kind of LEO/Government only sales policy.

In ten years you might even have to ship all firearms UPS/FedEx over night service for $80, in addition to paying a California A/W Dealer $50 to ship it. You can buy an extra lower right now for that much.

You never know.

metalhead357
08-16-2006, 4:03 PM
I managed to get Glock to give me a new frame with the same serial :)

good for you! THAT is what I'm talking about. VERY DOUBTFUL they'd re-serialize without the old one already in thier shop.............. but buried away 'somewhere' in the ATF regs is/was just such a provision; wouldn't doubt it if its changed but thats what it at least once wuzzzzzzz........

swift
08-16-2006, 9:39 PM
i have a question that is not really addressed here atleast not one that i have seen.

what happens and god forbid it does if your AR lower reciever is damaged :eek: and cannot be repaired are you able or allowed to get it replaced?

my gut tells me that you would be screwed and out an AR.

let me know if anyone have any exeperience in this area and or knowledge of it.

on a side note i look forward to the thread on the hearing.:D

That's why I bought a stag. Someone posted that they would remanufacture the lower and provide it with the same serial number. I email Stag to check on this and, after stating that this was accurate, the stag rep also mentioned that they don't sell to CA. Of course, our friend in Texas does!