PDA

View Full Version : CA gunsmith for a CA legal build?

Matt C
08-15-2006, 11:06 PM
I can't seem to find one, anyone here know of one with decent prices for a CA legal AK build? Thanks

rorschach
08-15-2006, 11:17 PM
What kind of build? AK? FAL? HK? M14?

Notice I didnt ask AR.

grammaton76
08-15-2006, 11:21 PM
Depends on what you're trying to build, and how complicated it is. If it's an AR or AK, plenty of folks here can put it together for you...

PLINK
08-15-2006, 11:23 PM
What do you need built? If it is an AR you could do the lower yourself and buy the upper assembled. Or spend the money for the tools to build the upper and DIY.

Matt C
08-15-2006, 11:24 PM
:eek: Yeah, that's kind of important sorry, I'm doing an AK build. I built an AR lower my with no trouble(actually a few more now for friends) but it seems to be a bit more difficult with AKs. I am very open to help on this one.

Mudvayne540ld
08-16-2006, 12:44 AM
Yea, I am also debating weather or not to start an AK build. if they were as easy as the AR, I would have already done it.

Matt C
08-16-2006, 6:57 PM
I guess I'm bumping this, someone has to know of at least one.

anotherone
08-16-2006, 7:13 PM
Yea, I am also debating weather or not to start an AK build. if they were as easy as the AR, I would have already done it.

Problem with AK builds is that the availability of parts and recievers is highly limited in California.

Matt C
08-16-2006, 7:14 PM
Well, i have the reciever on the way, and copes has the parts......

JPglee1
08-16-2006, 7:18 PM
I have a krink parts kit, but I can't list it or it gets pulled, LOL

J

blkA4alb
08-16-2006, 7:19 PM
Problem with AK builds is that the availability of parts and recievers is highly limited in California.
I have an AK receiver, they are not very difficult to get. I picked mine up at the SJGE. You can order a parts kit from a wide assortment of websites, some for under 100 bucks if you desire.

grammaton76
08-17-2006, 12:19 PM
I guess I'm bumping this, someone has to know of at least one.

Well, if you're not too hung up on it being done by a gunsmith, and don't mind that the rivets won't be perfect, you can come down and use my press in SD. However, I do prefer that you handle the parts kit demil first if you can - that's several hours' worth of work that most folks can do themselves with a dremel tool. Takes it from a morning-through-night thing into an afternoon job.

Compensation - well, I accept donations of gun parts and ammo. :p

Matt C
08-17-2006, 1:06 PM
Hey, that's mighty generous of you and I may just take you up on it!:)

dhl
08-17-2006, 6:27 PM
Still, doe's anybody know of a gunsmith in southern California that will build up an AK lower with a parts kit? Thank you.

grammaton76
08-17-2006, 7:18 PM
Still, doe's anybody know of a gunsmith in southern California that will build up an AK lower with a parts kit? Thank you.

So far, I haven't heard of a single one in CA - if you want it, you have to ship it to a guy out of state. That's why everyone's doing homebuilds, pretty much...

olegk
08-17-2006, 8:02 PM
Hi guys,
If someone wants to try to build AK I can share my experience.
Send me mail or IM. We can meet and I show you mine builds and walk you through process. I don't have much time for actual work, but I can spare 30-40 min on weekend.

Matt C
08-18-2006, 4:21 PM
Well my MK99 reciever came in today, I guess I'm gonna go with the Romanian G2 Trigger Group parts kit from Copes. I'll start with breaking that down, can someone link me to a guide and suggest what tools I'll need to buy? thx

insin
08-18-2006, 5:42 PM
Doing the build yourself is not that hard as many would think. Sure it takes more time then an AR and there are quite a few more tools to buy, but in the end, you just may end up with a rifle that has more "sentimental value" then an AR that was slapped together in 15 minutes. I did my own... proud of the work I did.

grammaton76
08-18-2006, 6:46 PM
Well my MK99 reciever came in today, I guess I'm gonna go with the Romanian G2 Trigger Group parts kit from Copes. I'll start with breaking that down, can someone link me to a guide and suggest what tools I'll need to buy? thx

My recommended tool list is below:

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkToolList

There's a good guide at:

http://www.gunsgutsandgod.com/