PDA

View Full Version : various .22lr ammo mfg. and make and results against 12 gram steel powerlets

jackandblood
01-16-2011, 6:20 PM
The targets are empty 12 gram CO2 powerlets. They are made of a mild steel zinc plated and are cylinder shaped with half domes at the top (where 2 of the 4 hits are), a shape that makes them very rigid and solid feeling (if you've never handled a 12 gram powerlet).

The targets were held in place by soil (not really braced or fixed) and against a soil + 3 concrete slab backstop.

.22lr rifle was Colt m4 rimfire distance no more than 24 ft.
1. I believe this was hit completely unbraced ( simply laying sideways next to the backstop) by a CCI Velocitor

2. Clean hit with Aguila 30 gr. hypervelocity (advertised ~1800 fps)

3. Clean hit with either a CCI Velocitor OR, and I believe this is the case, just a spectacular dead center hit with no more than winchester 555 bulk (35 gr. copper wash hp advertised speed ~1270fps) $20 555 rds bulk! I used my magazine that I load exclusively with bulk cheap ammo, a Velocitor may have sneaked in there but i doubt it.

4. CCI Blazer 525 bulk (waxed lead 40 gr. advertised velocity ~ 1250 fps) nice symmetric large diameter dent.

For both 2 and 3 pretty massive entry hole and both exited to the right (likely due to not being rigidly braced 2. for sure is the Aguila hypervelocity while 3. could be Velocitor or win super x bulk.

For every one of the 4 good examples were probably 3 poor examples where the bullet just glanced off the cylinder surface creating a small negligible dent. This is esp. true for the older examples (3 and 4) where I had misadjusted my windage and had not added a neon green front sight post

I would say that hyper velocity hp rds out of a 16" barrel do impressive damage at close range. Tibet, my m4 rimfire, is very handy with the telescoping stock and general m4 ergonomics. Combine with reliability and no recoil that allows for double-triple tap, I would not hesitate to use Tibet in a defense or small game hunting role.

Enjoy!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=82147&stc=1&d=1295230670

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php? attachmentid=82146&stc=1&d=1295230615

waffmaster
01-16-2011, 6:34 PM
Great exercise, Thanks.
Tibet is a great name for a rifle.

jackandblood
01-16-2011, 8:29 PM
As local places dont carry Aguila as far as I know. I may order another box before feb. given the impressive results.

*Tibet blushes* Saffron the SAO 22lr/mag and my new girl, Miranda .40 sw polymer frame Sig Sauer. :punk::cowboy: Ill get a group photo going sometime.

jackandblood
01-17-2011, 1:24 PM
ummm. Will answer any questions you may have =)

gozuki
01-18-2011, 9:04 AM
*Tibet blushes* Saffron the SAO 22lr/mag and my new girl, Miranda .40 sw polymer frame Sig Sauer. :punk::cowboy: Ill get a group photo going sometime.

Ok. I have a question. WTH does this sentence mean?:confused:

lmudave
01-18-2011, 9:10 AM
good question!

Izzy43
01-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Shooting a cylinder is not the best way to demonstrate bullet penetration, although I applaud you for your efforts. A flat plate is the only real way to compare different rounds of any type. With a cylinder there is only one very thin line where the bullet will hit perpendicular to the cylinder. Any other spot will deflect the bullet somewhat. This is particularly important with .22lr ammo that has a tendency to ricochet when striking a hard object at any angle other than 90 degrees. Kind of like the Confederate ship Merrimac in the Civil War. Her sides were sloped and the cannon balls just bounced off. Armor on an Abrams tank is also sloped at an angle.

I would think that all those different ammos would penetrate those cylinders from 24 ft if the bullet hit perpendicular to the cylinder.

The Aguila was however, impressive. The Aquila Interceptor might prove to provide even more penetration as it is a 40 gr bullet versus the 30 gr bullet in the SuperMax even though a slower velocity (1450 fps). The Interceptor has been proven to penetrate through a 7" phone book at 300 meters by an expert marksman (not me for sure).

jackandblood
01-18-2011, 3:55 PM
Ok. I have a question. WTH does this sentence mean?:confused:

not a sentence just me being enthusiastic about my girls.

jackandblood
01-18-2011, 3:58 PM
ya but #4. Thats pretty spot on right? that cylinder didnt jump around after being hit, kinda shoved it straight back into the dirt behind it.

Shooting a cylinder is not the best way to demonstrate bullet penetration, although I applaud you for your efforts. A flat plate is the only real way to compare different rounds of any type. With a cylinder there is only one very thin line where the bullet will hit perpendicular to the cylinder. Any other spot will deflect the bullet somewhat. This is particularly important with .22lr ammo that has a tendency to ricochet when striking a hard object at any angle other than 90 degrees. Kind of like the Confederate ship Merrimac in the Civil War. Her sides were sloped and the cannon balls just bounced off. Armor on an Abrams tank is also sloped at an angle.

I would think that all those different ammos would penetrate those cylinders from 24 ft if the bullet hit perpendicular to the cylinder.

The Aguila was however, impressive. The Aquila Interceptor might prove to provide even more penetration as it is a 40 gr bullet versus the 30 gr bullet in the SuperMax even though a slower velocity (1450 fps). The Interceptor has been proven to penetrate through a 7" phone book at 300 meters by an expert marksman (not me for sure).