PDA

View Full Version : Is there a law against.....

todd2968
01-16-2011, 5:37 PM
Driving out of state to buy ammo, and transporting it back to California.

quick draw mcgraw
01-16-2011, 5:38 PM
No sir!

Sunday
01-16-2011, 5:39 PM
Not yet.

I_Love_My_.22
01-16-2011, 5:41 PM
Thank god.

Carnivore
01-16-2011, 6:18 PM
Perfectly legal, that will be my plan should legal options fail.

pitchbaby
01-16-2011, 6:57 PM
Nope

el_hombre70
01-16-2011, 7:00 PM
Why do you think I'm going with OME Heavy Duty Springs in my 4Runner soon?:D

Sealawyer
01-16-2011, 8:02 PM
The Reno Cabellas will be the highest grossing store of the entire chain soon.

I_Love_My_.22
01-16-2011, 8:13 PM
The Reno Cabellas will be the highest grossing store of the entire chain soon.

:D They had cases of ammo just ready to go in bulk, was there sunday.

SwissFluCase
01-16-2011, 8:13 PM
Road trip!

Regards,

SwissFluCase

Window_Seat
01-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Not yet.

And even if there is, ___________________. :devil2:

Erik.

Zak
01-17-2011, 12:00 AM
Anybody going to Yuma for ammo? :D

gschoelles
01-17-2011, 6:19 AM
Driving out of state to buy ammo, and transporting it back to California.

I've had several sources saying that they won't sell across the counter to Californian's In AZ and NV. I have no direct experience and am looking forward to monthly trips to Vegas or Phoenix to supply my habit and am hoping this to be FUD!

I'd like to see an experience thread from those whom have crossed the State line and accomplished the goal at hand.

760knox
01-17-2011, 6:39 AM
Ill be hitting up Yuma when im there :D and Reno too

NotEnufGarage
01-17-2011, 7:17 AM
This might actually help to overturn AB962 itself. If California gunshops and sporting goods stores lose enough business to Cabela's and the like, the loss of sales tax revenue will become measurable and begin to have a noticable impact on state and local revenues.

Short of an all-out ban on importing ammunition complete with checkpoints and searches at the state line, there isn't much the CA legislature could do. Think that would pass constitutional muster?

Starve the beast.

NotEnufGarage
01-17-2011, 7:21 AM
I've had several sources saying that they won't sell across the counter to Californian's In AZ and NV. I have no direct experience and am looking forward to monthly trips to Vegas or Phoenix to supply my habit and am hoping this to be FUD!

I'd like to see an experience thread from those whom have crossed the State line and accomplished the goal at hand.

I bought 1000 rounds of XM193 at Reds Trading Post in Twin Falls, ID a couple years ago. They never asked for ID.

Even if chains like Cabela's tried to enforce such a measure, I'm sure there'd be plenty of mom and pop stores that wouldn't. California can't enforce their laws in Reno, Sparks, Yuma, or Las Vegas and I don't believe there is any Federal regulation requiring identification for purchasing ammo.

Rule .308
01-17-2011, 7:39 AM
I can tell you that the Reno Cabela's is onboard with it. I listened to one of their manager's outline exactly this to my Dad while we were in the store on Saturday. "no limits, buy all you want, take it where ever you want, no restrictions" Don't know about the rest of the world but that was their take on it in Reno.

Andy Taylor
01-17-2011, 7:49 AM
Does anyone think that the Reno Cabella's being located at the Verdi exit is coincidental? Has anyone bothered to notice the plates on the cars in the parking lot? Every time I am there at least 2/3-3/4 of the plates are California. I bet a big chunk of the NV plates are employees. And this is prior to AB962 going into effect.

Dreaded Claymore
01-17-2011, 9:23 AM
Road trip!

Starting next month there's probably going to be a Calguns ammo convoy every month. I can picture it now, a couple dozen vans and trucks, heavily laden with whole pallets of ammo, driving in a line down the dusty highway from Reno or Arizona.

someR1
01-17-2011, 10:02 AM
VEGAS TRIP!! :eek::43:

IGOTDIRT4U
01-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Does anyone think that the Reno Cabella's being located at the Verdi exit is coincidental? Has anyone bothered to notice the plates on the cars in the parking lot? Every time I am there at least 2/3-3/4 of the plates are California. I bet a big chunk of the NV plates are employees. And this is prior to AB962 going into effect.

It's also one of the closest Cabellas for those of us that think BPS is crap. We have Reno and Glendale, AZ for the closest.

NotEnufGarage
01-17-2011, 11:06 AM
It's also one of the closest Cabellas for those of us that think BPS is crap. We have Reno and Glendale, AZ for the closest.

Don't think they don't know that by not having a physical store in California they don't have to charge sales tax on ammo purchases that are shipped here, either.

760knox
01-17-2011, 11:09 AM
There sould be Ammo runs where Cal Gunners get together and drive drive drive!

chico.cm
01-17-2011, 11:22 AM

I laugh about it every time I am there.

magsnubby
01-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Short of an all-out ban on importing ammunition complete with checkpoints and searches at the state line, there isn't much the CA legislature could do. Think that would pass constitutional muster?

It's already illegal to bring certain plants and produce into Ca. Why would ammo be any different?

xcop
01-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Magsnubby if we followed your "logic" then we couldnt bring anything we purchased out of state into California. Because one thing is illegal doesnt mean everything else is. Do you drain your tank of gasoline so that you arent bringing any Nevada or Arizona gas into California when you return?

JimWest
01-17-2011, 1:05 PM
There sould be Ammo runs where Cal Gunners get together and drive drive drive!

There will be at least an annual run, I can assure you. I have room in my 1 ton van for twelve passengers plus my 6x12 Wells Cargo on the trailer hitch will haul 2,500 lbs. See? Isn't the internet wonderful? We can have real "togetherness" and we're being "green" because we carpool. Maybe we can get a caravan going and have an "ammo-in" or "ammo fest". ;)

tonelar
01-17-2011, 1:07 PM
There will be at least an annual run, I can assure you. I have room in my 1 ton van for twelve passengers plus my 6x12 Wells Cargo on the trailer hitch will haul 2,500 lbs. See? Isn't the internet wonderful? We can have real "togetherness" and we're being "green" because we carpool. Maybe we can get a caravan going and have an "ammo-in" or "ammo fest". ;)

awesome!

Librarian
01-17-2011, 1:20 PM
It's already illegal to bring certain plants and produce into Ca. Why would ammo be any different?

Plants and produce sometimes harbor pests that are a threat to CA's agriculture.

Ammo, arguably, is a pesticide. :)

SupportGeek
01-17-2011, 1:36 PM
Plants and produce sometimes harbor pests that are a threat to CA's agriculture.

Ammo, arguably, is a pesticide. :)

I LOVE the way you think!

jpigeon
01-17-2011, 1:55 PM
There is'nt until the wrong person reads this thread:) They are just looking for a reason...

Neuvik
01-17-2011, 2:16 PM
Ahah, It is certainly my plan. Living in Eureka, and my friends to the south have already asked if they could place orders with mine if ab962 doesnt die. We'll have to establish convoy routes; although I doubt there are that many commuters on 101 going from Eureka to anything south since industry up here is dead...save for pot.

Ieyasu
01-17-2011, 2:36 PM
A sticky will need to be created for the best out-of-state ammo stores.

Deucer
01-17-2011, 2:50 PM
Last So. Lake Tahoe trip (1 month ago) I picked up some .45 at the Walmart in Carson City. I had zero issues.

nicki
01-17-2011, 3:05 PM
Reality is that all the border states will have a boom in bulk ammo sales.

Oregon has NO SALES tax, so if someone was to say by 10,000 dollars in ammo, they would save close to 900 dollars in sales tax.

Other state's have lower sale tax rates, the question is what is the sales tax in Nevda versus Arizona.

All we would have to do is find a border FFLs who would like the business.

Other states have lower sales tax rates, but the numbers add up.
A standard van could easily carry 100,000 rounds of say 9mm ammo.

California could try to ban interstate purchases, but how are they going to enforce it?

This bill is going to cost California alot of lost sales tax revenue.

Nicki

Wherryj
01-17-2011, 4:49 PM

I don't think that my S2000 will hold many cases. I guess that I'll just have to drive fast whlie making mulitple passes.

Uriah02
01-17-2011, 4:59 PM
Yea... when I move back to PRK I might be flirting with the maximum weight on my sedan.

Sydwaiz
01-17-2011, 5:16 PM
I'm glad I have two addresses in Vegas. One residential and one commercial. Also glad I have a heavy duty truck and trailer too. No way am I going through all the AB962 BS here just to buy ammo.

CaliforniaLiberal
01-17-2011, 5:18 PM

Because plants and produce are living organisms and provide a happy place for plant diseases and parasites to ride into California and destroy our state's agriculture?

No?

Well then is it because the Ag Inspection people only ever ask about plants and produce, nothing else?

No?

Ummm.... Oh! I know! I know! Because there's no law against it?!??!?

Kid Stanislaus
01-17-2011, 6:16 PM
I'm think'n reloading is going to become a BIG hobby here in the PRC.

JimWest
01-17-2011, 6:25 PM
Reality is that all the border states will have a boom in bulk ammo sales.

...Nicki

Absolutely, Nicki. California's assault on gun and ammo ownership has shot her in the foot. How ironic. I am so committed to punishing this state's stupidity that when I had to make some major appliance purchases I went out of state just to spite CA the sales tax! For ammo, I'll make a trip to Texas if I have to before I'll kowtow to this nonsense. :chris:

otteray
01-17-2011, 6:40 PM
I go to Reno during Lake Tahoe trips sometimes several times a year and many times have purchased ammo to bring back to Kalifornia , purchasing from Scheels and Cabelas.

ForceofNations
01-17-2011, 7:06 PM

That sounds like a blast...

J.D.Allen
01-17-2011, 7:08 PM
I guarantee that Spague's in Yuma will sell you all the ammo you can hold. Hit me up via PM if you come out this way and I'll show a great spot to go shooting...:D

Librarian
01-18-2011, 1:02 PM
AB 962 has been overturned before this all could be implemented - see the sticky http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=385930