PDA

View Full Version : OK Fal-of-philes - I'm building one!

oaklander
08-15-2006, 10:00 PM
My XM177 clone is fun - but now for something with a little more horsepower.

I got an Imbel kit for $149, getting a DSA rec. (with no carry handle cut).

Got a 10 round USA magazine (DSA as well).

Got a stripper clip dust cover.

Built a nice workbench and set up a good vise.

Now for the fun part!

Has anyone on this board (who lives in NorCal) ever built a FAL? I've got the AGI DVD, and it looks like a little more work than putting together an AR (my AR took two hours, part of that time was spent looking for detent pins in the carpet).

I think I'm up for it - I've been told I have WECSOG tendancies (like setting the points with a match-book cover sort of thing).

--------

ALSO - I'll be shooting my Mauser this Sunday at the Tactical Rifle Shoot at Chabot, if anyone else is going.

C.G.
08-15-2006, 11:37 PM
www.fallfiles.com (http://www.fallfiles.com)

anotherted
08-16-2006, 4:02 AM
im in the same boat as you. too bad your up north. Ive priced out several well known builders and i just cant justify dropping that much to have the thing put together and spit shined, Its like paying for another whole FAL. I just want to find a local builder.

PanzerAce
08-16-2006, 9:50 AM
im in the same boat as you. too bad your up north. Ive priced out several well known builders and i just cant justify dropping that much to have the thing put together and spit shined, Its like paying for another whole FAL. I just want to find a local builder.

I think most builders of rifles from parts kits and receivers are like that actually. I know that most AK builders that I have seen charge about 350 at the lowerst to build one, and in free america, thats how much you pay for the entire gun.

oaklander
08-16-2006, 3:09 PM
Dwestfall - you rock!

Yes, the correct tools would make me happy - I didn't want to get too WECSOG on it. (I have some scary fanstasies involving 2x4's and multiple bench vises).

I'll be there with a friend, and I'll have my "XM177," Mauser (I'll be shooting that), and M1 Carbine (a friend will be shooting that, if the ammo comes in from Green Supply).

I'll probably have an IDF shirt on.

Cool.

Kevin

rollyourown
08-16-2006, 3:28 PM
My XM177 clone is fun - but now for something with a little more horsepower.

I got an Imbel kit for $149, getting a DSA rec. (with no carry handle cut).

Got a 10 round USA magazine (DSA as well).

Got a stripper clip dust cover.

Built a nice workbench and set up a good vise.

Now for the fun part!

Has anyone on this board (who lives in NorCal) ever built a FAL? I've got the AGI DVD, and it looks like a little more work than putting together an AR (my AR took two hours, part of that time was spent looking for detent pins in the carpet).

I think I'm up for it - I've been told I have WECSOG tendancies (like setting the points with a match-book cover sort of thing).

--------

ALSO - I'll be shooting my Mauser this Sunday at the Tactical Rifle Shoot at Chabot, if anyone else is going.

I have built 17 FALs, mostly StG-58s on Imbel receivers, since those were the cheapest components at the time. If you have a butter-knife, flat screwdriver, hammer, and a pipe-wrench, you can build a FAL.

However, you will want to buy a receiver wrench ($60), a buttstock tool ($10), and a locking shoulder guage or pinset ($??? this is the hardest tool to find.) to do it right. The hardest part to assembling the barreled action is timing the barrel to the new receiver so that the gas piston is lined up with the receiver. once that is done, you have to set the headspace using the locking block guage or pinsets. this little tool helps you to determine which size locking block you should use to set proper headspace on the rifle. Chances are that it will not be the one that came with your kit.

After that, the remainder of assembly of the rifle is basically field stripping. Always make sure you have the handguard ring on the barrel before you torque it down in the receiver. Its really bad to show up to the range with duct-tape wrapped around the handguards to keep them on after you forgot to put the ring on.

rollyourown
08-16-2006, 3:33 PM
I think most builders of rifles from parts kits and receivers are like that actually. I know that most AK builders that I have seen charge about 350 at the lowerst to build one, and in free america, thats how much you pay for the entire gun.

Something tells me we need to have a AK build party sometime in this state. If someone is charging $350 to assemble a AK from a kit then the person who is giving them the $350 is being bent over with no Vasoline. Hell, all the tools you would need to build a kit from scratch from a flat would cost less than $350. I know because I bought em all.