PDA

View Full Version : +1 if you've experience Garand Thumb

TonyNorCal
08-15-2006, 8:29 PM
:p yep yep yep +1 a few times here lol:p

Haven't experienced Hakim Thumb though...and after witnessing the force with which the bolt on that bad boy slams forward I hope I never do:eek:

phish
08-15-2006, 8:35 PM
I haven't experienced Garand thumb, but a new injury: Garand hand.

umm...that didn't sound too good...:o :p

In any case, I got whacked pretty good by the op-rod while stripping down one of them, got a pretty nasty bruise and semi-circular cut on the meaty part of the hand.

I thought things had clotted up okay and shot a match 2 days later. I was wrong...

rorschach
08-15-2006, 8:39 PM
+1

M1 thumb more than a few times.

Weatherby eye is fun too, so is the HK meatgrinder.

Mudvayne540ld
08-15-2006, 8:45 PM
I have had the bolt on my Einfield close on my thumb when I pulled the trigger while cleaning..... but that is it
left a good size blood blister and left me cursing for a good 20 seconds.

Beetle Bailey
08-15-2006, 9:13 PM
"I have had the bolt on my Einfield close on my thumb when I pulled the trigger while cleaning"

You mean the cocking piece pinched your thumb when you pulled the trigger? Ouch! IMO it is safer to completely remove the bolt from the rifle if you are cleaning it. This also allows you to clearly see if there is a round in the chamber.

To answer the original question, knock on wood, neither of my Garands have ever turned on me ;-) but I did once manage to get my thumb caught with an SKS bolt. . .

The Soup Nazi
08-15-2006, 9:18 PM
I nipped two parts of my palm loading an M9 mag, its like a tiny vampire bit my hands, the lower wound is healed, the top one is still clotted.

Mudvayne540ld
08-15-2006, 9:23 PM
You mean the cocking piece pinched your thumb when you pulled the trigger? Ouch! IMO it is safer to completely remove the bolt from the rifle if you are cleaning it. This also allows you to clearly see if there is a round in the chamber.
yea >_< I had just finished the cleaning, I had no mag in, but decided to dry fire.

PistolKidd
08-15-2006, 9:24 PM
ahhhh.. No no no.. no garand thumb.. after watching that sucker close..im damn sure to get out of it's way..

worst I've done is blood blister a line across my palm.. got it while trying to do magazine reloads at 'speed'.. ended up pinching my flesh between the magazine and the magazine well..not a good day at the range..

cc56
08-15-2006, 9:33 PM
+1 I was trying to be so careful to. My bolt stuck for a second and my left hand got to the clip and pushed down before my right had got to the handle...oops. It was not that bad, the bolt only had half the speed.

Rumpled
08-15-2006, 9:46 PM
Havne't gotten it yet, since I've only had my CMP about a week and a half and haven't taken it out yet.
I'm sure it's coming some day.

taloft
08-15-2006, 9:51 PM
Never done it with a rifle, but I've done it with a Vaughan 32oz. "Ripper" framing hammer.:eek: Waffle took my thumbnail right off, it still looks weird compared to my other thumb.:o I did the Fred Astaire all the way across the job site, and channeled the ghost of Linda Blair. That's danced and cussed for you younger guys.

Okami
08-15-2006, 9:53 PM
+1 on the Garand thumb:o

ivanimal
08-15-2006, 10:35 PM
No Garand thumb here but a slide bite from my Ruger P-90 drew blood.

wuhungsix
08-16-2006, 12:19 AM
Not yet. I had a scare because the bolt was hung up on the follower were the slightest pressure and WHAM! Good thing I had my other hand on the op-handle and it only surged forward partially. I had that feeling were your balls jump up back in you. Just a little bit:p . Well I'm sure it will happen to me sooner or later since I've on had the rifle for a couple of weeks.

FreshTapCoke
08-16-2006, 10:32 AM
Never had Garand thumb after a year of ownership. While loading, I just stick the butt up against my hip and use my right hand to hold the op-rod while loading the bloc with my left hand.

I have had the front lip of a 1911 mag pinch the palm of my left hand while slamming the magazine in. :(

30Cal
08-16-2006, 10:44 AM
+1 Got bit while cleaning--the bolt was sitting against the follower.

Ty

stevie
08-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Nope

But got a Glock pinky (caught side of pinky between mag well and mag bottom) one time on a tac load with my G27.

SDJim
08-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Does Garand "pinky" count??

I still can't figure out how I did it. But I know I never want to do it again.