PDA

View Full Version : another AR/OLL question

ahead
08-15-2006, 5:45 PM
hello, im a little late with the whole OLL thing, but i am considering building one. i had allot of questions but most of them have been answered by searching this forum, im left with one that i didnt find an answer for..

my question is, when reloading your OLL do you have to crack the upper and load into the magazine? or can you use a tool (allen key) to drop the empty mag and put a loaded one in? i havent found much info on this, all i found was this video, and it shows the guy loading with the upper cracked open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ovmzvpPG8

thanks in advance

blkA4alb
08-15-2006, 5:48 PM
You have to break it open and load from the top. The second that you use a tool to remove the magazine and reload it. The rifle is capable of accepting a detachable magazine and illegal. A pistol grip and open magwell is a big no-no. There is no way to remove the magazine with any evil features attached and be legal.

ahead
08-15-2006, 6:12 PM
You have to break it open and load from the top. The second that you use a tool to remove the magazine and reload it. The rifle is capable of accepting a detachable magazine and illegal. A pistol grip and open magwell is a big no-no. There is no way to remove the magazine with any evil features attached and be legal.

thanks for clearing that up for me. so are you guys using stripper clips to speed up the loading? can they be used with the ar mags?

blkA4alb
08-15-2006, 6:13 PM
thanks for clearing that up for me. so are you guys using stripper clips to speed up the loading? can they be used with the ar mags?
I do believe that there are stripper clips. However I don't personally use them. After you start loading the mag you can get pretty quick.

ahead
08-15-2006, 6:17 PM
I do believe that there are stripper clips. However I don't personally use them. After you start loading the mag you can get pretty quick.

and one final question, how involved is the process of cracking the upper open to reload? do any screws have to be removed, or is it just a mechanical lock of some type that holds it in place. i have seen AR's before just never shot one.

how long would you say it takes for you to pull off the upper, reload and reinstall the upper? thanks for the info

JPglee1
08-15-2006, 6:23 PM
Push pins take it out.

With a stripper and a guide, prolly 8-10 seconds max to pull pin, pivot upper, put guide on strip, close upper and push pin back in...

I MUCH prefer shooting the gun without a PG and using a detachable magazine. The ergos aren't that bad and its a A LOT faster to reload.

JP

blkA4alb
08-15-2006, 6:24 PM
and one final question, how involved is the process of cracking the upper open to reload? do any screws have to be removed, or is it just a mechanical lock of some type that holds it in place. i have seen AR's before just never shot one.

how long would you say it takes for you to pull off the upper, reload and reinstall the upper? thanks for the info
:D Don't worry its extremely simple. All you do is push one pin out in the rear and the upper pivots forward on the front pivot. I custom made a punch out of delrin that won't mar the pin or receiver and helps in cracking it open. I can probably open and reload and be ready to fire in about 10-20 seconds. I've never really timed it.

ohsmily
08-15-2006, 6:26 PM
I MUCH prefer shooting the gun without a PG and using a detachable magazine. The ergos aren't that bad and its a A LOT faster to reload.

JP
+1 The monster grip is awesome and allows you to use your hi cap mags if you have them

I have an Armalite that I reg'ed back in '99 and have MANY USGI 30 round magazines; so, going pistol gripless and using detachable mags is great.

This is except for my 24" varmint barreled OLL. I only shoot one round at a time out of this one anyway, so I used a fixed 10 round mag and a nice palm swell pistol grip.

grammaton76
08-15-2006, 11:52 PM
If you don't want to make your own punch, you can also buy a keychain punch from www.sportingconversions.com. I've got one on my keyring, which comes in handy from time to time when I run into a pin that just doesn't wanna move.

Stanze
08-16-2006, 1:56 AM
A bullet tip makes a good punch.

tenpercentfirearms
08-16-2006, 5:25 AM
The Watson Weapon's extended take down pin is the only way to go (well not really, but I think the best) for your fixed mag OLL. It is low drag and very easy to use. You don't need to carry a punch or use a bullet when you just use the extended take down pin. Watson has it direct for $5.95 or you can find other vendors that sell it for a few bucks more, but they have other goodies to buy too. They are such a popular item they are currently back ordered.

Mudvayne540ld
08-16-2006, 12:22 PM
+1 to that.
If you are doing an OLL AR build, that pin is a must!
I got mine from 10%, so I would recommend him. :)

fairfaxjim
08-16-2006, 12:28 PM
+1 to that.
If you are doing an OLL AR build, that pin is a must!
I got mine from 10%, so I would recommend him. :)
Another +1
I had the ring pull pin in my FAB-10, and have replaced it and installed the Watson Weapons pull pin in it and my OLL builds.

The FAB-10 came with a stripper clip guide that matched a hole in the lower, but I didn't find it very useful. The ergonomics of stripper clips inside an open AR just didn't work for me. I am now pretty good and stuffing rounds into the mag by hand.

ahead
08-16-2006, 8:53 PM
good info, ill be picking one of those up when ive got everything else at home. thanks guys

highspeed11
08-16-2006, 9:28 PM
Can most of ya'll push out the rear pivot pin with your finger?

My well worn M4s were a breeze to break open for shotgun style cleaning. Never needed a tool. Then again the "compensator" on one of them was ready to come off with each shot downrange....

C.G.
08-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Can most of ya'll push out the rear pivot pin with your finger?

My well worn M4s were a breeze to break open for shotgun style cleaning. Never needed a tool. ....

Same here. Don't really see the need for the Watson's pin.

tenpercentfirearms
08-16-2006, 11:47 PM
You guys must have long and strong finger nails.

bwiese
08-17-2006, 9:39 AM
A bullet tip makes a good punch.

Yeah, but if there's any bullet setback when you use that round you risk a KaBoom.

If you use a bullet (from an assembled round) as a field expedient too, don't use the round.

williamkwong
08-17-2006, 10:10 AM
I use a retractable pen and take the actual ink cartridge out. Its plastic and doesnt mark the lower at all.

grammaton76
08-17-2006, 11:18 AM
You guys must have long and strong finger nails.

If you're going to try and dig at the pin right off the bat, sure.

I slap the protruding nub first to start it out, then grab onto the pin (since it's sticking out at that point) and pull it out the rest of the way. No fingernails involved.