PDA

View Full Version : Would this be a legal way to get pistol ammo shipped?

lower lover
01-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Would it be legal if someone in a free state bought pistol ammo online and shipped it from the dealer to your house in California? The person that got the ammo would just be getting a gift not buying anything.

jtmkinsd
01-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Would it be legal if someone in a free state bought pistol ammo online and shipped it from the dealer to your house in California? The person that got the ammo would just be getting a gift not buying anything.

And who exactly would you use to ship it?

maddoggie13
01-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Why worry? It will be stop by CGF soon.

Paul S
01-16-2011, 2:36 PM
Why worry? It will be stop by CGF soon.

Hope springs eternal. I hope you are right. But getting a law thrown out..or partially enjoined based upon the available issue (vagueness) is like batting with two strikes against you and the sun in your eyes. But we do have top flight barristers carrying the case forward. We shall see. I believe the hearing is this coming Tuesday.

pitchbaby
01-16-2011, 7:00 PM
There are sooo many stupid loopholes in this legislation that I am sure the legality of this scenario could be argued from here to kingdom come.

NSR500
01-17-2011, 3:03 AM
And who exactly would you use to ship it?

UPS/FedEx

Ifticar
01-17-2011, 3:27 AM
The Feds state that small arms ammunition shipping packages must have an ORM-D label attached.

http://cartridgecollectors.org/shipping.htm

If your out-of-state friend does not include the label, then he or she could be in trouble with the Feds. If the label is on the package and you delivery guy is a snitch, you could be in trouble.

I have made arrangements with my local FFL to have my mail order ammo delivered to him and then transferred to me for a small fee.

lairdb
01-17-2011, 11:53 AM
The Feds state that small arms ammunition shipping packages must have an ORM-D label attached.

http://cartridgecollectors.org/shipping.htm

If your out-of-state friend does not include the label, then he or she could be in trouble with the Feds. If the label is on the package and you delivery guy is a snitch, you could be in trouble.

ORM-D labels will properly appear on rifle and shotgun ammunition shipments as well -- it's not a red flag for ammunition restricted by AB962. For that matter, it appears from what I've read in other threads and in the bill, private parties can ship AB962-covered-ammunition, so long as it's not a sale as defined in AB962.

I believe the OP is suggesting a scenario similar to when Uncle Bob goes to Macy's and buys a sweater, and asks the Macy's clerk to have it shipped directly to Nephew Ned. If the sale has taken place to Uncle Bob, and the store is just acting as a shipping agent for the gift to Nephew Ned, is an AB962 sale taking place?

Coded-Dude
01-17-2011, 11:56 AM
So what about shipping ammo to yourself?

I'm heading back to Oklahoma in a few weeks and was thinking about stocking up one some lower priced stuff and using fedex/ups to send it to my home(i can ground ship it and be back before it arrives).

paladin4415
01-17-2011, 12:37 PM
So what about shipping ammo to yourself?

I'm heading back to Oklahoma in a few weeks and was thinking about stocking up one some lower priced stuff and using fedex/ups to send it to my home(i can ground ship it and be back before it arrives).

That would be no different then just driving it in, which is fine.

fd15k
01-17-2011, 12:48 PM
ORM-D is not only for ammo, perfume, for example is also shipped with ORM-D. Though weight gives ammo away, as well as often they put "small arms cartridges" and/or they put the shipping label directly onto the ammo factory boxes.

Coded-Dude
01-17-2011, 12:57 PM
does fedex/ups provide the ORM-D sticker?

Eljay
01-17-2011, 4:02 PM
It's "Other Regulated Materials - Domestic" - basically a catch-all for things that don't need a lot of attention as long as it's Ground, not Air. I've had vanilla and peppermint extract ship ORM - D.

Worst case you would go to a UPS Store - I'm sure they have the stickers and any extra paperwork.

Velocity
01-17-2011, 4:25 PM
That would be no different then just driving it in, which is fine.

Are you saying that if I drive to Nevada, stock up and drive back home I am good to go?

Would that work for bringing in off roster guns, as if moving here from another state?

Andy Taylor
01-17-2011, 4:33 PM
Are you saying that if I drive to Nevada, stock up and drive back home I am good to go?

Would that work for bringing in off roster guns, as if moving here from another state?

Yes he is saying that.

No it doesn't work for guns because you have to buy guns in the state in which you reside. Unless of course you are an FFL.

Velocity
01-17-2011, 4:41 PM
Yes he is saying that.

No it doesn't work for guns because you have to buy guns in the state in which you reside. Unless of course you are an FFL.

WOW Road Trip to Nevada coming right up.

How difficult is it to become an FFL???

Any ideas?

Quser.619
01-17-2011, 7:17 PM
Don't forget that CA law requires that you submit a USE tax for anything bought out-of-state. Though it's voluntary, I wouldn't suggest saying I just bought a truckload & brought it back w/o acknowledging that you :innocent: will pay it. It's a public forum after all...

gazzavc
01-17-2011, 7:31 PM
WOW Road Trip to Nevada coming right up.

How difficult is it to become an FFL???

Any ideas?

Get a C&R License for $30 from the BATFE. Very easy to do.

Get a Certificate of Eligibility from the CA DOJ and you are then able to buy all the out of state ammo and have it shipped to you that you want.

As per the law any 03FFL (C&R) with a COE can buy ammo.

Whether the ammo companies BOTHER to READ the law remains to be seen.

Librarian
01-18-2011, 1:02 PM
AB 962 has been overturned before this all could be implemented - see the sticky http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=385930