PDA

View Full Version : New to Black powder

itsallgood
01-16-2011, 10:20 AM
I live in San Diego and I just picked up an old ASM colt navy replica in .44 caliber. It came with ball, powder, caps and wads. just wondering if anyone knows where I can shoot this, and if anyone local with some experience in black powder would be willing to get together sometime to shoot? never done it before but looks like fun.:43:

wellfedirishman
01-16-2011, 11:44 AM
It is fun, but load the revolver gently (for an ASM brass frame gun, use no more than 18-20 grains of black powder per chamber or you will stretch the frame pretty quickly).

You need a black powder measure, a capper tool, a bore brush of approx the right size, and some Windex and water to clean the black powder residue out of the barrel and chambers.

Dixie Gun Works has tons of good info and guidelines on black powder guns. I suggest you start reading there.

A revolver nipple wrench is also very useful for removing the nipples when cleaning.

Dutch3
01-16-2011, 12:31 PM
A revolver nipple wrench is also very useful for removing the nipples when cleaning.

A nipple wrench is also useful for tightening the nipples if they loosen up while shooting. The first time I took my Pietta 1858 out, the nipples were all loose after shooting a few cylinders through it.

It hasn't happened since, but I still make sure to have the wrench with me.

-D

Tallship
01-17-2011, 7:56 PM
The only place in SD that lets you shoot bp is P2K. Escondido Fish and Game has bp shoots on certain Sundays.

Flintlock Tom
01-18-2011, 6:17 AM
South Bay Rod and Gun Club also has dedicated BP shoots, but I don't know why they wouldn't let you shoot a BP revolver on the pistol range any time.
http://www.sbrgc.org/index.html

itsallgood
01-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Hey, thanks for all your input. i will check out y 2 k and south bay rod nd gun club... Tallship, are the escondido shoots competitions or just for fun and inexperienced shooters as well. I bout an 1585 remington as well, but the ASM I got for $50 on crags list. I am looking forward to it. just finding the time with two small kids etc. Responsibility always seems to get in the way of my social life. Good shooting and if anyone is going out, drop me a PM if you don't mind the tag along. Thanks again

Tallship
01-20-2011, 2:59 PM
Hey, thanks for all your input. i will check out y 2 k and south bay rod nd gun club... Tallship, are the escondido shoots competitions or just for fun and inexperienced shooters as well. I bout an 1585 remington as well, but the ASM I got for $50 on crags list. I am looking forward to it. just finding the time with two small kids etc. Responsibility always seems to get in the way of my social life. Good shooting and if anyone is going out, drop me a PM if you don't mind the tag along. Thanks again

Yes, the Escondido shoots are competitions, and it costs something (I don't know how much, but I think it's minimal), but no one says you have to win! Plus, you'll learn from some really good shooters.

Robin47
01-20-2011, 7:38 PM
Yeah Itsallgood,

You will love BP shooting when you get into it.
I started back in 1977, shooting BP- cap & balls.
I shoot a 1851 Navy 36 cal.
I think there more fun to shoot, then any modern gun.
When you get "Hooked on it" you will want to get only the steel framed ones.
They last a lot longer and are the only way to go.
You can shoot higher loads in them to.
I shoot 22 to 24 grain in my 36, and have hunted with them to.
I even shot one of 2 wild dogs, that attacked me one time in the woods.

You might carry a handy bag, like a possibles bag to put your stuff in
till you get it all worked out.
I put wonder wads, and my home made grease, to lube over the balls.
I use an old Popsicle stick and that works great with a lot less mess.
An "Inline caper" is good to, but a (nipple wrench) is a "Must have".
I also carry a big and small screw drives, for in the field work if needed.
And a few patches, and a bore stick I made out of an old dowel.
Last but not least, a couple of candy bars, and water, because I won't
be home till dinner !!! :) Robin47