PDA

View Full Version : 1911 conversion kit legality? Semiauto,detach mag illegal?

superdave
08-15-2006, 4:51 PM
Hello guys, I have a little question for my first post.

Some reputable guys at the range I go to have told me that one of them had one of those conversions for the 1911 that makes it into a carbine. He said that he HAD to get rid of it and that the DOJ just made the entire kit illegal to even possess here. Is this correct? Did he HAVE to get rid of it?

Also I have heard that they DOJ is going to make all semiautomatics with detachable magazines illegal. Like my mini-14 and the SU-16s. Is this what is going on? :confused:

Thanks for any help guys.

bwiese
08-15-2006, 5:07 PM
You're probably referring to the Mech-Tech carbine conversion kit for Glocks and 1911s.

Since it's a semiautomatic centerfire rifle with pistol grip and detachable magazine, why would anyone expect it to be legal - since it clearly is described by PC 12276.1, the generic description of a CA assault weapon?
(A few people had these in 2000 and registered their Glocks or 1911s as assault weapons.)

However, you may possess the conversion kit separately. You just can't assemble it in CA.

The DOJ did NOT make the kit illegal. It's only illegal to have it assembled. They can't make new law, which they would have to to do this.

The DOJ cannot make currently-legal Mini14s, SU16s etc illegal. That takes a legislative act. They are playing some regulatory games with definitions but that will be shot down.

superdave
08-15-2006, 5:13 PM
Thank you bweise, so my buddy did not have to actually get rid of it? He just couldn't assemble it?

So there is no way that the DOJ is just outlawing all semiautos with detachable mags either?

This clears up a lot, thank you.

JPglee1
08-15-2006, 5:14 PM
So there is no way that the DOJ is just outlawing all semiautos with detachable mags either?

We'll see tommorow, won't we :)

JP

bwiese
08-15-2006, 5:18 PM
We'll see tommorow, won't we :)
JP

It ain't gonna happen tomorrow. This is just posing, CYA, etc. They gotta act like they're doing work.

JPglee1
08-15-2006, 5:20 PM
It ain't gonna happen tomorrow. This is just posing, CYA, etc. They gotta act like they're doing work.

Well I just got back from DROSing another M1 Garand, just in case.

JP

Rumpled
08-15-2006, 11:46 PM
Well I just got back from DROSing another M1 Garand, just in case.

JP

Why DROS a Garand?

Nearly all are legal for FTF no paper transfer.
Or, get it cheaper with no DROS from CMP.

But you probably know all that already and bought one that had to be DROS'd.

JPglee1
08-15-2006, 11:51 PM
But you probably know all that already and bought one that had to be DROS'd.

Receiver came from out of state.

Im having a USGI stripped receiver built with my 18" T57 kit and a couple other goodies.

If it wouldn't have been being built as a tanker I would have just paid cash for it somewhere.

But alas, I had to DROS to get the receiver from Texas :(

JP

wdoyle1980
05-12-2007, 3:03 AM
It is very interesting to read all of these 'legal' posts. Coming from the grand southern state of FL, we have NONE of these restrictions/"legal inconveniences". I was originally working on my OWN carbine conversions before i moved to CA a month ago (starting with a 16" barrel - no shroud). From what I remember of FEDERAL LAW, it's the RECEIVER that makes the gun, right (why everyone's a'scramblin' for them 'off-list' receivers). If that is the case, i have a FL/Federally REGISTERED/FFL-transfered 1911 PISTOL. Federally, converting a pistol->rifle = OK ; rifle->pistol ("sawed-off")=bad. I find it VERY interesting that CA considers this conversion an 'assault weapon when assembled. I wonder if i can still use the 16" barrel , no shroud, on the pistol frame and just have a BIG-@$$ PISTOL. Also, this handgun is still in FL (With a family member). I was going to have them mail me the axillary parts (slide, barrel, etc) and then FFL me the lower receiver. i honestly do not want the hassle of trying to bring it back on a flight from FL. also, i just registered the two pistol i brought WITH me on my drive from FL to CA. I got the CA-DOJ 'acknowledgment' letter - so i'm good. Now that I'm a CA-resident, When these pistols (which are MINE; mine from FL, still has MY name on the FFL transfers) are being shipped to me, i don't have to DROS (whatever the hell that is.... explain this new stuff to me) or anything besides a 'regular' FFL transfer. I 'know' that according to the USPS and UPS, i can ship MYSELF a gun, regular shipping (no FFL) so long as that it is shipped to ME and received/opened ONLY by ME. Does this federal ruling hold any water here in CA? Seriously, every day I'm here makes me really wish to be back in FL with my AR15, SKS (wtf? CADOJ just states that the gren-adapter that comes with it is a 'dest. dev.' so the rifle is banned even if totally taken off and lugs removed??), and my self-build 922r-compliant AK-"series" rifle. I seriously hope that my G/F appreciates me coming to this awkwardly fascist state. *(sorry about my rant: 330am and i've been kept up by how to get my babies to CA safely. i'm sure you can understand).

spgk380
05-12-2007, 9:16 AM
It is very interesting to read all of these 'legal' posts. Coming from the grand southern state of FL, we have NONE of these restrictions/"legal inconveniences". I was originally working on my OWN carbine conversions before i moved to CA a month ago (starting with a 16" barrel - no shroud). From what I remember of FEDERAL LAW, it's the RECEIVER that makes the gun, right (why everyone's a'scramblin' for them 'off-list' receivers). If that is the case, i have a FL/Federally REGISTERED/FFL-transfered 1911 PISTOL. Federally, converting a pistol->rifle = OK ; rifle->pistol ("sawed-off")=bad. I find it VERY interesting that CA considers this conversion an 'assault weapon when assembled. I wonder if i can still use the 16" barrel , no shroud, on the pistol frame and just have a BIG-@$$ PISTOL. Also, this handgun is still in FL (With a family member). I was going to have them mail me the axillary parts (slide, barrel, etc) and then FFL me the lower receiver. i honestly do not want the hassle of trying to bring it back on a flight from FL. also, i just registered the two pistol i brought WITH me on my drive from FL to CA. I got the CA-DOJ 'acknowledgment' letter - so i'm good. Now that I'm a CA-resident, When these pistols (which are MINE; mine from FL, still has MY name on the FFL transfers) are being shipped to me, i don't have to DROS (whatever the hell that is.... explain this new stuff to me) or anything besides a 'regular' FFL transfer. I 'know' that according to the USPS and UPS, i can ship MYSELF a gun, regular shipping (no FFL) so long as that it is shipped to ME and received/opened ONLY by ME. Does this federal ruling hold any water here in CA? Seriously, every day I'm here makes me really wish to be back in FL with my AR15, SKS (wtf? CADOJ just states that the gren-adapter that comes with it is a 'dest. dev.' so the rifle is banned even if totally taken off and lugs removed??), and my self-build 922r-compliant AK-"series" rifle. I seriously hope that my G/F appreciates me coming to this awkwardly fascist state. *(sorry about my rant: 330am and i've been kept up by how to get my babies to CA safely. i'm sure you can understand).

As a general principle, anything that makes a gun more accurate is illegal in CA.

M. Sage
05-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Also, this handgun is still in FL (With a family member). I was going to have them mail me the axillary parts (slide, barrel, etc) and then FFL me the lower receiver. i honestly do not want the hassle of trying to bring it back on a flight from FL. also, i just registered the two pistol i brought WITH me on my drive from FL to CA. I got the CA-DOJ 'acknowledgment' letter - so i'm good. Now that I'm a CA-resident, When these pistols (which are MINE; mine from FL, still has MY name on the FFL transfers) are being shipped to me, i don't have to DROS (whatever the hell that is.... explain this new stuff to me) or anything besides a 'regular' FFL transfer.

Even if they send you a gun that is yours, you must go through the Dealer Record of Sale (DROS, get it?) bullcrap AND wait the ten days. Even if it IS yours. And, on top of all that, you have to pay the dealer for the transfer. In the end, flying here with the pistol will be 1/10th of the hassle that sending it FFL to FFL would be.

I went through this. There's a reason I've waited till I flew out to visit my dad to get my M1 Carbine back from him rather than have him ship it.