PDA

View Full Version : Tube Fed magazine

salazar44
01-16-2011, 10:04 AM
I just got my hands on a free bolt action Western Field Model 31. It looks like it could be a fun little plinker.

I noticed that the previous owner had some beat up tape around the barrel and tube magazine. After taking it apart for a thorough cleaning, I noticed that the magazine tensioner screw was missing.

I have NO experience with tube magazines and no matter how I try to adjust/place the tube I cannot get it to cycle properly. Can somebody provide a pic of what it looks like from their tube magazine? I also would like some animation of what is going on in a tube fed magazine when a round is cycled

Thanks guys!

salazar44
01-16-2011, 9:05 PM
nobody in the calguns world can snap a pic of the underside for me?

Dorkhedeos
01-16-2011, 9:45 PM
You should probably post a picture of your magazine first. If I showed you a picture of my tube magazine, I dont think it would help much.

salazar44
01-16-2011, 11:37 PM
You should probably post a picture of your magazine first. If I showed you a picture of my tube magazine, I dont think it would help much.

Here you go. So when I took everything apart I did not the location of how it was. There was also tape holding it in place.

Top View

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/dAo-cWHz9S6nPGTiuwkHlU_USTdCWsWZW2sebtJMGKTUgBDjHO8iii NgY30muXmU5INl3SgjVNer2uQNuKo3yTMZEA=s512

Side View

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/AvkT5HDKTLBAHnr5tnSF8wpBuquaDeSc9HpA8addAyDdGdRJo7 YwbqHpabBHvaQmGYpbGzrYfXAiXckFEL0_qVddJw=s512

salazar44
01-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Could anyone tell me the purpose of the screw located between the 'mag well' and the trigger? Also, what is the notch for on the tube?

pilote
01-17-2011, 5:33 AM
are you sure it's a 31 and not 31A...if it's a 31 it's a mossberg R, and parts are hard to find for that exact model...either way you need to get the mag mounts and screws for it or it will never cycle properly...

salazar44
01-17-2011, 8:16 AM
yes its a model 31. I have the mag mounts just not the screw. if i new what type of screw it needs then maybe I can get it somewhere.

jackandblood
01-17-2011, 8:40 AM
just curious. was it a gift?

salazar44
01-17-2011, 8:44 AM
just curious. was it a gift?

yes it was a gift. it looks to be pretty darn old and could possibly be a good little shooter.

pilote
01-17-2011, 11:39 AM
yes its a model 31. I have the mag mounts just not the screw. if i new what type of screw it needs then maybe I can get it somewhere.

http://www.box54.com/exploded-40-44.jpg

the 31 should have the same tube assembly as the 31A, which is the mossberg 40, and there are parts available for it at Numrich...

...if you do get that tube problem squared away, it will be a good plinker; all the old mossbergs are hardy, well made rimfires...look how long that 31 has lasted...

salazar44
01-17-2011, 11:49 AM
http://www.box54.com/exploded-40-44.jpg

the 31 should have the same tube assembly as the 31A, which is the mossberg 40, and there are parts available for it at Numrich...

...if you do get that tube problem squared away, it will be a good plinker; all the old mossbergs are hardy, well made rimfires...look how long that 31 has lasted...

Thanks. I am not quite sure how old it actually is. Any idea? the serial number on it says 186. Pretty crazy.

OH... and im not sure which screw it is that I actually need. is it the barrel screw or the tube tension spring screw.
I think the Barrel screw is the one visible in the picture.

salazar44
01-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Hmm... Strange thing that the parts lists on Numrich looks like model 31 contains shotgun parts. This is definitely a 22LR. I just purchased the Tube Tension Spring, Tube Tension Spring Screw, and Barrel Screw from the parts list you provided. I sure hope the model 40 is the same :)

But I did see remnants of the Tube tension spring left on the gun when i cleaned. I thought it was some sort of washer since it was only piece of it.

pilote
01-17-2011, 1:40 PM
Hmm... Strange thing that the parts lists on Numrich looks like model 31 contains shotgun parts. This is definitely a 22LR. I just purchased the Tube Tension Spring, Tube Tension Spring Screw, and Barrel Screw from the parts list you provided. I sure hope the model 40 is the same :)

But I did see remnants of the Tube tension spring left on the gun when i cleaned. I thought it was some sort of washer since it was only piece of it.

i know my cross reference to the ward westernfield-mossberg is right...

the ward westernfield 31 is a mossberg K, made 1930-33...the 31A followed it, which was the mossberg 40...the guts should/look to be the same, just the sights are different...

don't shoot me if it isn't...ain't no parts for a K anymore...

you get that old guy shooting ok you should consider refinishing the stock with a tru oil finish...it's not hard, just takes time...way cooler then owning a tacticalcool...

salazar44
01-17-2011, 2:30 PM
ehh... if the parts dont fit then its ok. it was only 20 bucks invested. maybe they will let me return them.

So this rifle was manu'd somewhere between 1930-1933? with a serial of #186 I would think it was made in 1930 huh.

As for restoring the stock I will do that. I have already done my AK and SKS with tru oil. Comes out really nice!

Thanks for your help!

salazar44
01-17-2011, 3:58 PM
I forgot to ask again... is it possible for somebody to put up a pic of what their magazine looks like near the receiver opening. Not sure if they will look similar to mine but your pic could help me understand the concept. Thanks!

tobkis
01-17-2011, 4:16 PM
Check out Numrichs, The have had my parts in the past, Good luck. They also have Schematics:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

salazar44
01-17-2011, 4:30 PM
Check out Numrichs, The have had my parts in the past, Good luck. They also have Schematics:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

yes... i already bought parts but im not sure how the whole bolt action, tube mag functions together. no schematic for my needs. google turns up nothing. I would expect an elevator feeding mechanism but three is no such thing.