PDA

View Full Version : Starting to research .22 revolvers...

Tzvia
01-16-2011, 6:50 AM
Well, I'm starting to research a nice .22 revolver. Not sure what I want, Ruger, Smith, used Colt, something else? This would be for fun plinking; while I have other 22s, (Neos, Targetsman, Mosquito) they are autos and I would like one nice wheelgun. I'm a woman with smallish hands, I can handle my .45 SAAs fine, and my K framed Smiths, but anything sized like a L frame or larger is out. 4" or better yet, 6" barrel.

I've seen a used Colt locally (what was it, 'New Frontier'?), not sure if they are any good... Saw a new Smith that looks like a K frame, kinda pricey at about a grand (gulp). Looking to spend around 6 hundred, double action or single ok. Any thoughts?

beerman
01-16-2011, 7:32 AM
Why not give a look at the Smith and wesson model 17 masterpiece or 617...both are on the Ca. good to go list. Personally,I am on the hunt for a nice oldar Model 17. Good luck with the search.

Dorkhedeos
01-16-2011, 1:55 PM
Ruger Bearcat?

SoCal Bob
01-16-2011, 1:57 PM
The Ruger Single Six is an outstanding single action that also has the ability of firing the .22 Magnum round. They are built like tanks and will last forever.

I have a couple of 5 1/2" SS's. The stainless came with rosewood grips while the blued came with black hard rubber grips. The wood grips are thicker than the hard rubber grips. The hard rubber grips fit my hand better while my son likes the feel of the wood grips, so I would recommend trying both out to see which you prefer

jackandblood
01-16-2011, 6:11 PM
the SAO with swapping chambers are IMO a rimfire must own. I have a pic comparing 4.75 " barrel .22lr vs .22mag impact on a chunk of t6061 aluminum. 22lr pistol barrel, great forpaper targets, no good on the block of aluminum. the .22mag pistol barrel excellent damage to the aluminum heatsink, alot of deformation ( it's no longer shaped like a block).

ElvenSoul
01-16-2011, 6:13 PM
Ruger dominates the 22 revolver world for good reason. You will not be disapointed.