PDA

View Full Version : Paul Helmke Admits Losing Gun Control Debate

jdberger
01-16-2011, 1:31 AM
In an interview on ABC News' Topline, Paul Helmke of the Brady Campaign is asked:

So why have you guys been losing this debate [about gun control] for so long?

Helmke: Err....Clinton...AW Ban...Republicans tricked everyone....Bush II wanted mor gun control....

Video available here (at about the 4 minute mark). (http://t.co/LJdwGSs)

I think that he's honestly flabbergasted that the Nation hasn't all risen up to ban guns in the wake of the Tucson tragedy.

Cali-Shooter
01-16-2011, 1:47 AM
Hahaha, what a douche. Yet he still persists like the wind. It would be one of the greatest things in the world to see his life-long work at gun control revert back to nothing. Then maybe he could have some sense knocked into him by having a psychological breakdown, during which he would be 110% more rational and logical than he is right now.

bwiese
01-16-2011, 1:48 AM
He's so incompetent the Bradys should ask for their salary money back on grounds of "theft of honest services". Helmke must be autistic if he thinks he's even useful to them.

Merc1138
01-16-2011, 1:51 AM
He's so incompetent the Bradys should ask for their salary money back on grounds of "theft of honest services". Helmke must be autistic if he thinks he's even useful to them.

Is it really worth pointing that out to them? I mean, if they want to leave that level of incompetence alone, why should we help them? heh :p

wildhawker
01-16-2011, 1:52 AM

While he'd surely be fired in the private sector for such pitiful ROI, I rather think his incompetence is an amusing (and useful) characteristic.

Cali-Shooter
01-16-2011, 1:59 AM
While he'd surely be fired in the private sector for such pitiful ROI, I rather think his incompetence is an amusing (and useful) characteristic.

Yes I totally agree. His position as leader of an anti-gun coalition makes great use of "skilled" incompetence, deception, manipulation, and backasswardry. It's the only work that makes lying their your f'ing teeth a professional job requirement (except politics, oh wait...)!

Whiskey84
01-16-2011, 2:22 AM
oops.

Whiskey84
01-16-2011, 2:23 AM
oops

Whiskey84
01-16-2011, 2:26 AM
Backasswardry. LOL

He's fighting a losing battle but wont stop the charge.

five.five-six
01-16-2011, 3:09 AM

IMO. Paul is doing s great job, given what he has to work with

AndrewMendez
01-16-2011, 3:20 AM

Oh man Bill I LMAO on that one. What more can you really expect? An organization with a track record of fail, that feeds off tragedies for their political advantage like blood sucking chupacabras. Americans have woken up to this type of bull.

Patrick-2
01-16-2011, 5:10 AM
Helmke: "I am not anti-gun."

He makes points that could sound reasonable to many people not involved in the issue. But nobody who is even tangentially knowledgeable of Brady would ever think they are not "anti-gun". That's what they do.

So its tough to swallow everything else he says he makes such specious claims. Perhaps he believes it in his own mind. But most people listening would call him wrong.

Brady is against guns. It's who they are. They should own it and be proud, not hide it. The fact Brady now has to sell itself as a pro-gun group whose only concern is safety tells a lot about the way things have gone the last decade and where it is going in the future.

press1280
01-16-2011, 5:18 AM
They've been in constant retreat for the last 25 years or so. Notice Helmke said that "30 round clips" are not used for hunting or SELF DEFENSE. When gun control was at its height, these same groups tried to convince everyone that a gun was NOT good for self defense, and that civilians shouldn't own anything short of a hunting rifle. They even back CCWs(the NJ/NY may-issue method). They're backed into a corner, and are trying to appear "reasonable" so they don't flat out disappear for good. The average citizen doesn't donate to them anymore, my sense is leftist sugar daddies are having to prop them up financially.

Ford8N
01-16-2011, 5:31 AM
What a liar. "We don't want to take away peoples guns, we only want to keep guns away from dangerous people". The Assault Weapons ban takes guns away FROM EVERYONE!!!! There are already laws making it illegal for dangerous people to have guns! So the Assault Weapons ban only takes guns away from the law abiding, because that is who it is directed toward. And anyone that supports an Assault Weapons ban, politician or private citizen, wants to take away your guns, bottom line.

Patrick-2
01-16-2011, 5:42 AM
In his lexicon, anyone who would possess an "assault weapon" becomes dangerous by proxy.

He is not being tricky or disingenuous. In his mind, that connection is automatic and sensible. His frustration must be high; he is a smart enough man to know that his opinion is a minority one these days. they are hanging on for the day opinions change and tides turns. Which they will.

model63
01-16-2011, 5:47 AM
who is that fake Maddow chick? Lol

craneman
01-16-2011, 7:00 AM
He knows who butters his bread. He's trying to save his position, job and paycheck. As it is now he can go on TV, be famous, hob-nob with celebrities and powerful politicians. If he didn't do this he might have to actually break a sweat to make a living. He would be destined to be just another one of the "minions" in society.

CitaDeL
01-16-2011, 7:27 AM
What a liar. "We don't want to take away peoples guns, we only want to keep guns away from dangerous people".

I think he is being completely honest when he says he only wants to keep guns from dangerous people. You have to keep in mind that his definition of 'dangerous people' include those who believe the Second Amendment is an individual right and those who already excersize it as such. In other words, if you already have a gun or want one, you are already dangerous people.

microwaveguy
01-16-2011, 7:33 AM
Helmke: "I am not anti-gun."

Hummm ........ as long as it is a black powder rifle

Really "we" want him keep his job. Might be dangerous if someone competent actually held that position.

Mute
01-16-2011, 8:35 AM
Maybe he's secretly pro-gun and he's working as a mole to undermine the Bradyites. If so, he's doing a bang up job.

trashman
01-16-2011, 8:41 AM
Really "we" want him keep his job. Might be dangerous if someone competent actually held that position.

^^^ this....

Helmke's main attribute is that he seems like a nice, reasonable guy.

The only substitute that I might actually prefer are Danny Glover or Sylvester Stallone, only because they would be hilariously bad attempting to articulate their way out of a big bag of hypocrisy (http://blog.riflegear.com/articles/the-hypocrisy-of-sylvester-stallone.aspx) in every TV interview...

--Neill

cdtx2001
01-16-2011, 9:24 AM
Let's not trample on Mr. Helmke, he's doing a fantastic job and I hope he stays right where he is.

LAWABIDINGCITIZEN
01-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Maybe he's secretly pro-gun and he's working as a mole to undermine the Bradyites. If so, he's doing a bang up job.

"bang up job!"

Paul Helmke: Dems Who 'Played Footsy with the NRA' Lost

Paul Helmke says "there will be a response" to Tucson shooting.

1. I want a list of names of who played footsy with the NRA!

2. There already has been a response:

A. Glocks and Mags are flying off the shelf.

B. Poll numbers against gun prohibition are going up because people
realize what a failure gun control is.

C. The gun banners are fretting (this time on TV) about how they have
lost the debate, the issue, the future and have ended up selling more
guns than any advertising campaign could ever do.

Let's not trample on Mr. Helmke, he's doing a fantastic job and I hope he stays right where he is.

Window_Seat
01-16-2011, 1:36 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with a campaign against gun violence, but this is a campaign against legal & lawful gun ownership, and I believe that this is why Helmke is being blown off more & more, but we can't assume too much in our favor because it could be a bluff. Remember, there are anti (R)s and pro (D)s in the Congress so it's important that we keep our eyes open as we have been.

As far as him being a closet case pro, I seriously doubt it. I think that he is more of an open case communist who can't figure out how to go about his own agenda because he doesn't even know what it is.

Erik.

N6ATF
01-16-2011, 1:52 PM
The only way he shouldn't be prosecuted for treason is if the entire board of the NRA reveals he was their mole.

smokeysbandit
01-16-2011, 3:10 PM
Did anyone else get the feeling that his mouth was watering and and hew was a kid on Christmas while talking about Gifford being a member of congress and a woman? Sad that he's so happy about this tragedy. Everyone wants to ride on the curtails of the crazies.

wash
01-16-2011, 3:21 PM
I wonder how they can live with the contradiction of hoping tragedy occurs to help them pass an unconstitutional gun law while their name is The Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence?

GOEX FFF
01-16-2011, 3:32 PM
they are hanging on for the day opinions change and tides turns. Which they will.

Maybe when the year 2037 rolls around... ;)

IrishPirate
01-16-2011, 3:36 PM
I hope he never fully understands that his logic has been disproved numerous times....it's good for us to have the Bradys keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

GOEX FFF
01-16-2011, 3:38 PM
I hope he never fully understands that his logic has been disproved numerous times....it's good for us to have the Bradys keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon Bonaparte

yellowfin
01-16-2011, 3:56 PM
they are hanging on for the day opinions change and tides turns. Which they will.It depends on how quickly we get Shall Issue for the may issue states. Once gun legal gun ownership is meaningful and practical for city dwellers (and ideally college students), the anti gun ideology will lack a natural host population and thus have little or nothing to remaining to stand on.

BillCA
01-16-2011, 4:05 PM
They've been in constant retreat for the last 25 years or so. ... The average citizen doesn't donate to them anymore, my sense is leftist sugar daddies are having to prop them up financially.

It's almost always been that way.
Pete Shields started Handgun Control, Inc. (HCI) and raised $15k from private donations in two years. From then on, it was receiving funds from trusts and funds (like the Joyce Foundation) and rich leftists as it changed from HCI to the Brady Campaign. Notably, founder Pete Sheilds is on record saying nobody should have a handgun "without going to court to prove a real need for one". Their short-lived partnership with the National Council to Ban Handguns (NCBH) [now the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence] reveals their primary goals.

Part of the good news about the recent financial mess is that funding for anti-gun groups has thinned out considerably. Add the Heller and McDonald decisions which seriously undercut the Brady campaign's ability to impose draconian legislation and donors will continue to withhold money if Brady can't deliver new ideas.

They and the media have attempted to adopt the phrase "gun culture" from the U.K. to refer to the pro-rights side. For some people, it may be believable, however even many NYC/Chicago/NorthEast residents have relatives or friends who are "gun culture" hunters & sportsmen. Painting with too broad of a brush is going to backfire on them.

FYI: When I hear someone talk about the "gun culture", ask them about the people who want to control guns. Refer to them as the Defenseless Victim Culture or the Anti-Civil Rights Culture. It's easy to make the comparison between them and Southern Racists who said they weren't taking away the free speech of Negroes, as long as their speeches didn't inflame the passions of the listeners. :rolleyes:

Dovii4ever
01-16-2011, 6:12 PM
Of Course their losing the battle. People know he's nothing more than a FRAUD. He has been disproven time and time again. Gun Control has been PROVEN to be a FRAUD and the American people aren't buying it any more and it is wonderful to see him slowly lose it.:D

pitchbaby
01-16-2011, 6:51 PM
My feelings about Mr. Helmke's interview are nicely summed up in this video clip.

p7w64fbqYQY

ulv
01-16-2011, 6:58 PM
What a smug "I cant wait to exploit the unfortunate experience of gun victims" grimace on that guys face.