PDA

View Full Version : best option for target .22

wecf
01-16-2011, 12:35 AM
To make a long story short, my Wife was given a nylon 66 about 10 years ago and started shooting short range silhouette with it and fell in love with the sport. Then the 66 was "returned" and now she has no rifle to shoot silhouette with.
I need to replace the rifle and want to give her a true target rifle. I would like some suggestions, bolt or semi, needs to be pretty lightweight, my budget is less than $1000. I grew up with a 10/22 and am kind of looking at them closely (with many mods). Any help would be great. Thanks.

AndrewMendez
01-16-2011, 4:32 AM
You can not go wrong with a 10/22. So many after market options available. You can seriously do whatever you want to do with that gun. You can make it look like a Tommy gun, a m16...etc...etc. Upgrade the trigger and your g2g, maybe add a scope for 100 bucks? Then keep the other $500-600 and buy her some earrings.

redcliff
01-16-2011, 5:15 AM
Personally if shes like my wife, I'd buy her another Nylon 66. I don't know about your wife, but mine is not the most receptive to change. She likes what she likes and doesnt care what "advantages" something else may have. Its a comfort level thing I guess. Not knocking her, shes a better person than me, but we all have our idiosynchrasies.

What model did she have? I have an Apache Black that I like a lot. I think there was a Mohawk Brown also, and maybe one other color?

wecf
01-16-2011, 8:41 AM
She had the brown. She has kind of a bad association with the 66 because of what happened with the old one. Besides that they are too expensive for what they are (they go for $350-450 around here).
I am very familiar with the 10/22 it was the first rifle I ever shot 30 years ago and my dad still has it. I am looking for advice on either a good factory target rifle or a good web site for mods for the 10/22. I have heard good things about the Remington 597 also I just don't know if there are enough aftermarket accessories to turn it into a true target rifle.
Thanks for the replies!

Izzy43
01-16-2011, 8:44 AM
To make a long story short, my Wife was given a nylon 66 about 10 years ago and started shooting short range silhouette with it and fell in love with the sport. Then the 66 was "returned" and now she has no rifle to shoot silhouette with.
I need to replace the rifle and want to give her a true target rifle. I would like some suggestions, bolt or semi, needs to be pretty lightweight, my budget is less than $1000. I grew up with a 10/22 and am kind of looking at them closely (with many mods). Any help would be great. Thanks.

What accuracy do you expect at what range? What type of targets will she be shooting? True target rifles tend to be heavy (for a reason). There are of course many accurate bolt action rifles from Savage, Marlin, CZ and others, all under $1000.

Cali-Shooter
01-16-2011, 8:47 AM
+1 for a 10/22.

Imho, there is no reason to spend more than 500+ on a target .22 rifle. A budget of $1000 is more than ample.

Ledbetter
01-16-2011, 8:49 AM
A CZ with a good scope is the best option in your price range.

a stock 10/22 is fun, but not target-accurate.

Mail Clerk
01-16-2011, 9:13 AM

wecf,

The Ruger 10-22 is perfect for your wife in every way!!!! I'd get a used one and replace the barrel and stock with one that's better suited for her range/silhouette shootoing sport. I don't know if she can have a scope on it but a nice 3X9 comes to mind. With those in mind your well under your maximum budget! That's what I did long ago when all the custom parts cam out. My stainless steel Midway heavy barelis the most.:-) Also consider a Remington 597.... it's a little finiky but when tuned it just as good as the Ruger. Caliber wise try a 17HMR due to it's power and extremly flat trajectory.

Mail Clerk

beerman
01-16-2011, 9:20 AM
How about a Kimber M82 available thru the CMP?
http://www.thecmp.org/22targetsurplus.htm://

wecf
01-16-2011, 12:15 PM
All targets are off-hand from 25-100 yards. I was thinking or a 10/22 w/carbon barrel, new stock, power customs trigger, maybe a lightweight bolt? I'm not sure what the best mods are for it. I saw one on gun broker with a threaded barrel, I thought that was a good idea. I have always liked the rifles like they use in the Olympics but they might be out of my price range and I don't even know where to start looking for something like that.
Thanks for the responses!

Izzy43
01-16-2011, 12:47 PM
While this is a very new semi-auto from CZ there have been a few reviews that indicate it has the renowned accuracy of the CZ line of .22 rifles. Here's one (non-shooting) review. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374436

Link to Rifle: http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-512/

It will be my next .22 purchase. Price around $450 which is more than a basic 10/22 but no need to upgrade anything. Just add the scope of your choice. I own a CZ 452 UltrLux and the fit and finish of this rifle is excellent. It shoots 1/4" groups @25 yds and 1/2" groups @ 50 yds with inexpensive Federal Automatch ammo and Peep sights. It is however a heavy rifle and would not suit your requirements. If you go for a bolt action I also recommend a CZ, perhaps one of these.

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-style/

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-silhouette/

These two have the synthetic stocks but not the type you will find in inexpensive rifles. They are very sturdy, do not flex and these rifles are known to be as accurate as their wood-stocked brothers. The craftsmanship on all CZs is excellent. Good luck on your choice.

Dorkhedeos
01-16-2011, 3:00 PM
I just bought a 981t and I really like the way it shoots. Really light and pretty damn accurate with marlins microgroove barrel. Be ready to buy a scope though, sights are useless unless you mash your face against the stock. Great rifle once you have a scope though, 17 round tube mag lets you shoot for longer.

MaHoTex
01-16-2011, 3:13 PM
I purchased a Marlin 925 for my son's Xmas gift. That rifle is very accurate and reasonably inexpensive. I would not hesitate to purchase another. Saw the mention of the 981 above, and I really would like to get one of those for myself. I was considering the stainless 981TS, just wish it came with a wood stock instead of the plastic.

I do agree about the iron sights though. Seems the sights on the 925, 795 and my model 60 are next to worthless.

klmmicro
01-16-2011, 3:16 PM
The "stock" 10/22 would be fine for 25-100 yard shooting.

BrianRodela
01-16-2011, 5:54 PM
My suggestion would be a 10-22, Kid lightweight barrel and rework the trigger and bolt yourself or have someone do it for you (550 bucks). That will pretty much give you 1/2" groups (at worse) with Wolf MT at 50 yards consistently. Anyone who says that semi's can't compete with bolt actions forget that we are all not olympic shooters and the 1/8" difference in our groups most likely won't make the difference in the matches anyway.

wecf
01-16-2011, 8:58 PM
Thank you Brian. any suggestions on where to get info on reworking the bolt myself? how about on aftermarket bolt/trigger suggestions?
Thanks everyone!

pennys dad
01-16-2011, 10:27 PM
Umm, get her to a Calguns shoot and line up some test shoots.
Marlin 795, Ruger, Savage and let her choose

BrianRodela
01-17-2011, 9:36 AM
Check out Rimfire Central in the 10-22 tips and tricks section. There is a wealth of information that you can use as a reference.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

surfNshoot
01-17-2011, 10:00 AM
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVT

brian01tj
01-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Sako Quad....enough said. A single barrel version can be had for $500-600 if you look and they are amazing shooters out of the box.

03fatboy
01-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Here's a 10/22

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=385426

1911ShooterPhil
01-20-2011, 1:29 AM
Savage Mark I FVT is a "true target gun" with a globe front sight and a micrometer rear sight used by the CMP for their Junior Smallbore category. I use one as a varmint rifle because of the target grade barrel and the fact that it is light weight with an adjustable trigger. Check it out. It's a very fun rifle.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARK+I++FVT

wecf
01-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks everyone. I think we are going with a 10/22. My wife has decided that she doesn't want a bolt gun (after shooting my 513t). I'm going to do a build on the Ruger. I have never done anything except clean one and install a Power Customs trigger so this should be interesting. I saw one that someone had threaded the receiver and barrel, I think that is where I want to start. Any suggestions on where to get that kind of work done?
Thanks again.

joeyant
01-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Thanks everyone. I think we are going with a 10/22. My wife has decided that she doesn't want a bolt gun (after shooting my 513t). I'm going to do a build on the Ruger. I have never done anything except clean one and install a Power Customs trigger so this should be interesting. I saw one that someone had threaded the receiver and barrel, I think that is where I want to start. Any suggestions on where to get that kind of work done?
Thanks again.

If your wife likes to attach all kinds of useless crap like 1000 lumen flashlights, WWII bayonets, and quad rails to her Nylon66, then by all means, get a 10/22.

If she is an infrequent shooter and wants the lightest, and most accurate semi-auto possible, go to Big 5 and get her a Marlin 795. Out the door for 250. Keep the 750 to yourself and buy a nice Glock or SW revolver.

The Marlin 795 is VERY accurate and designed for young shooters and women due to patented Micro Groove barrel.
Both of you will never go back when you get used to its last shot bolt open feature.

You need to spend a lot of time and money to get a stock 10/22 to the level of a stock 795. Granted, the 795 is not for mall ninjas, but it doesn't sound like your wife is looking for a Barbie doll to dress up anyway like a lot of 10/22 owners are.

lmudave
01-20-2011, 10:29 AM
For true target shooting you'll want a bolt action. If its more for informal plinking then a 10/22 is a lot of fun. Depends what she's looking to do with it. A cz bolt .22 is extremely accurate and has nothing but great reviews. Older target rifles can be inexpensive and extremely accurate as well, like Remington 513-t's. I have a Remington speedmaster 552 that is VERY accurate for a semi auto, holds a lot of rounds in the tube magazine, and is a blast to shoot.... Shouldn't be too hard to find one of those used.

Swiftyjuan
01-20-2011, 10:38 AM
I also shoot silhouette, and I have 20 .22 rifles (O.K., I went a little overboard). I have had great luck with 10-22 variants, but an ultra light rifle is hard to hold steady in my experience without some weight added to the end of the barrel. I strongly recommend the CZ or an Anschutz 54 or 64. I have a used 64 that is my primary silhouette gun, and most of the serious silhouette shooters I shoot with use an Anschutz. Just my .02 cents!

wecf
01-20-2011, 11:15 AM
yep I tried to get her to use a bolt gun, she just doesn't like them. so I found a used 10/22 cheap and am going to do a inexpensive/accurate build on it. if she decides she loves it great, i'll go a little farther with it. if she hates it fine my 2yo son will love it someday and I will hunt rabbits with it until then.

Ledbetter
01-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Just so you're not surprised later, this is what I did to get my 10/22 to shoot well:

Magnum Research carbon fiber barrel: $300
Volquartsen trigger group $200
Volquartsen extractor $25
Fajen thumbhole stock, unfinished $150
Hand stoning the bolt face perfectly flat with a .032 rim depth
Bedding the action into the stock with Marine Tex epoxy
Plus the price of a good scope

I did this because I wanted a project rifle.