PDA

View Full Version : Scotland bans swords and knives...

scottj
08-15-2006, 1:35 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/glasgow_and_west/4788881.stm

What's next, pointed sticks?

I can see it now, there's a culture of pointed sticks behind this crime wave blah blah blah...

The Soup Nazi
08-15-2006, 1:54 PM
Why don't we just break the bread with our hands now?

JPglee1
08-15-2006, 1:59 PM
Have they lost their minds?

J

PanzerAce
08-15-2006, 1:59 PM
what about sporks?

blkA4alb
08-15-2006, 2:32 PM
what about sporks?
SHHHHH!!!! *eyes dart*

Stanze
08-15-2006, 2:39 PM
Do it for the wee lads and lasses.:D

Pokey
08-15-2006, 2:41 PM
Holy $%^&!!! What are they thinking (or lack thereof). See, if they instituted Shall Issue concealed carry (of firearms) there would be a HUGE drop in knife crimes.:D :D :D

metalhead357
08-15-2006, 2:47 PM
What about Battle Axes? :p

Or how about a BBQ Sqewer??????:D

CalNRA
08-15-2006, 3:03 PM
notice it exempts the wealthy by using the phrase "legitamate reasons". so a guy with dough to spare can buy whatever he wants, but Johnny blue collar will have to prove he needs one for "legitamate reasons".

Mudvayne540ld
08-15-2006, 4:14 PM
wow....sounds similar to CA's CCW rules. =/

M. Sage
08-15-2006, 5:00 PM
Wow, now I feel like a cowboy for carrying around an assisted-open knife all the time.

Just goes to prove.. you ban guns, they move on to something else. And, yes, I'd bet that pointed sticks and clubs are next on the list.

stag1500
08-15-2006, 8:24 PM
You know, people deserve the government they have. I don't feel the least bit sorry for those Brits living over there. If there are some people over there in Great Britain who feel like the situation is out of control, then they should just get out and move to a country where their right to self-defense is respected. After all, Switzerland is pretty close by. :D

blkA4alb
08-15-2006, 8:27 PM
You know, people deserve the government they have. I don't feel the least bit sorry for those Brits living over there. If there are some people over there in Great Britain who feel like the situation is out of control, then they should just get out and move to a country where their right to self-defense is respected. After all, Switzerland is pretty close by. :D
So your saying all of us who disapprove of the california gun laws should just move to a free state and give up? After all, Nevada is pretty close by.

Dont Tread on Me
08-15-2006, 9:46 PM
If there are some people over there in Great Britain who feel like the situation is out of control, then they should just get out and move to a country where their right to self-defense is respected.

I thought I was doing just that. After watching Schwarzenegger movies in the 80's i figured the CA gun stores were well stocked with Uzi 9mms and SAMs:-)

I lived in Scotland for 3 years and was amazed at the level of violence. I'd come across the after-mouth of a stabbing or glass bottle in the face about once a month during a weekend pub crawl.

It is hard to explain but the culture is setup so the law abiding cannot defend themselves and the criminals get really light jail sentences. FUBAR.

HillBilly
08-15-2006, 10:20 PM
"Scotland has been named the most violent country in the developed world by a United Nations report."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4257966.stm

"Handgun crime 'up' despite ban"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1440764.stm

I will assume that Scotland has extensive firearms restrictions and regulations, and considering they are "the most violent country in the developed world", it obviously proves that such laws are counterproductive. What makes them think that the blade ban will be any different?

Perhaps they should ban cars, as they are responsible for more deaths than guns, knives, or dirty looks.

grammaton76
08-15-2006, 11:24 PM

Congrats, you now understand exactly how most of AR15.com feels about us Californians. Notice how we tend to think that's an unfair thought, considering most of us didn't vote for the gun grabbers in the first place...

Don't ya think the Scotch have a lot of folks in the same boat as us, comparatively speaking?

CalNRA
08-15-2006, 11:32 PM
it's times like this that I thank our founding fathers, without whom we would have laws similar to the UK since all their former colonies have even harsher weapon laws.

So thank you, Founding Fathers, without whom we would be arguing if a spork is an assault weapon or not and which model of spork provides best penetration with good consistency.

taloft
08-15-2006, 11:44 PM
I see a future upsurge in enrollment for Scottish Sword Dancing.:D

m1aowner
08-15-2006, 11:50 PM
I blame Mel Gibson.

kilword
08-15-2006, 11:51 PM
yep...i can see some rioting now with people running down the streets waiving a big ol sword screaming FREEEEDOMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CTT2
08-16-2006, 12:31 AM
Are swords legal in California?

CalNRA
08-16-2006, 12:40 AM
yep...i can see some rioting now with people running down the streets waiving a big ol sword screaming FREEEEDOMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROFLMAO!!!!

m1aowner
08-16-2006, 1:21 AM
As long as you carry them openly, not concealed. :)

Are swords legal in California?

anotherted
08-16-2006, 4:22 AM
I suppose their confiscating hammers and anvils.

thomasanelson
08-16-2006, 4:39 PM
notice it exempts the wealthy by using the phrase "legitamate reasons". so a guy with dough to spare can buy whatever he wants, but Johnny blue collar will have to prove he needs one for "legitamate reasons".

You nailed it on the head. Part of the reason that our US founding fathers established the 2nd amendment was based on the dislike of the old British common law. Those laws stipulated that one had to be a land owner or military/police to posses weapons (even swords). Only the wealthy could afford land, so only the rich could have weapons. Our founding fathers thought this was bogus because they believed in freedom & rights for "ALL" citizens. Today the Brits (still a Monarchy) are only extending the anti-freedom position they have always held. These types of historic laws are fairly common in Europe as their political foundation was/is based on monarchies (special treatment for special people). It all stems from the idea that "people" cannot be trusted and the government knows what's best for them. The sad fact is that the Democrats and other liberal factions also believe this to be true.

The Soup Nazi
08-16-2006, 4:46 PM
I believe in history you had to be a noble to wear a sword in the olden times in Europe.

stag1500
08-16-2006, 5:37 PM
So your saying all of us who disapprove of the california gun laws should just move to a free state and give up? After all, Nevada is pretty close by.

Look, my family and I fled Romania in the early 80's because things were really bad over there. Things didn't get better over there or any other Eastern Block Communist country by a small minority trying to undue the unjust laws one law at a time. There was simply no hope that things would ever get better.

I feel the same way about Great Britain. It will continue to get worse over there till a point when either the system collapses or society as a whole moves to change that idiotic government. I actually do feel sorry for the victims in that country, contrary to what I said earlier. But what can you do? Either you put up with it and take your chances and hope that you'll never have to defend yourself or your family against an armed criminal, or you get out.

M. Sage
08-16-2006, 7:42 PM
Look, my family and I fled Romania in the early 80's because things were really bad over there. Things didn't get better over there or any other Eastern Block Communist country by a small minority trying to undue the unjust laws one law at a time. There was simply no hope that things would ever get better.

I feel the same way about Great Britain. It will continue to get worse over there till a point when either the system collapses or society as a whole moves to change that idiotic government. I actually do feel sorry for the victims in that country, contrary to what I said earlier. But what can you do? Either you put up with it and take your chances and hope that you'll never have to defend yourself or your family against an armed criminal, or you get out.

There IS a third option... 2A isn't about defense against only criminals.

stag1500
08-16-2006, 8:36 PM
There's no such thing as the 2nd Amendment in Great Britain, unfortunately.

Stevil
08-16-2006, 8:39 PM
THAT is why I moved here, God Bless America! :)

olegk
08-16-2006, 9:13 PM
"Scotland has been named the most violent country in the developed world by a United Nations report."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4257966.stm

May be they can't stop since independance war against Brits?
Next goint to be no forks and plastic bottles only in a pubs.

The Soup Nazi
08-16-2006, 9:27 PM
I thought they were already banning glass and only allowing plastic bottles in pubs...