PDA

View Full Version : Found a FAL for $650 on FalFiles!

JPglee1
08-15-2006, 1:29 PM
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176528

Damn, thats a sweet deal.

JP

50 Freak
08-15-2006, 1:40 PM
Not bad price.

Keep in mind this is on an Enterprise receiver (not held in high regards). Parts were never mention (so we don't know if this was a pristine STG-58 kit or beat out South African crap kit).

Overall, I'd want more info on this.....

Sorry, I'm a FAL snob....Used to being able to buy Imbels for $175 and pristine STG-58 parts kits for $200. Add some US parts and you could build a kick butt FAL for less than $450.

JPglee1
08-15-2006, 1:42 PM
Well, its about 1/2 what you can walk into a gun store and buy an off the rack DSA for, so it seems OK to me ;)

Ive seen receivers selling for $400 alone, so I figured it can't be that bad.

Luckily I got my FAL before they were "espensive", back when everyone thought you couldn't have a fixed mag FAL in CALI.

I wouldn't sell it now for anything. Ive been offered $7-800 for it many times on this board.

JP

50 Freak
08-15-2006, 1:48 PM
Yah, long gone are the days of the cheap FALs.

Everyone should be jumping on the Cheap Cetmes out there right now. Those will go up in price. Just look at the PTR's. They have increased from a $400-500 dollar gun to $700+ bucks.

Cetme's can be had for $300 and are just as good as a PTR.

tman
08-15-2006, 2:02 PM
Yah, long gone are the days of the cheap FALs.

Everyone should be jumping on the Cheap Cetmes out there right now. Those will go up in price. Just look at the PTR's. They have increased from a $400-500 dollar gun to $700+ bucks.

Cetme's can be had for $300 and are just as good as a PTR.
Well the good thing about the FAL and PTR is that you can shoot .308

Do they make a .308 Cetmes?

When I was in the market recently, what I wanted was an accurate semi-auto .308 that came with a pistol grip. Here in CA, the options are limited. I think all I could find were the FAL, PTR, VEPR II, Vulcan .308 AR lower, and maybe one other rifle which I cannot quite recall off of the top of my head.

I ended up getting a VEPR II Ak-47 in .308. I am happy with it but loading with a fixed mag is a hassle.

JPglee1
08-15-2006, 2:04 PM
I ended up getting a VEPR II Ak-47 in .308. I am happy with it but loading with a fixed mag is a hassle.

Got a picture of the VEPR II and woulda ya wanna trade it/sell it???

Why not put a SAIGA stock on it and load it like its meant to be loaded?

*edit*

Yes, all CETMEs are chambered for .308 or 762x51

JP

bwiese
08-15-2006, 2:08 PM
Most likely a used-barrel build.

50 Freak
08-15-2006, 2:11 PM
The CETME is the forerunner of the HK-91 (PTR). So yes it does come in 308.

The confusion is the "CETME SPORTER" as produced by the now defunct Mars Corporation is a listed gun. CETMEs started coming into the country about 5 years ago and are not listed. So you can buy and own one minus the pistol grip...etc or do a fixed mag option.

The Century Arms CETMEs with a stainless cast receiver is slightly out of spec from a CETME/PTR. Their receiver are a few milimeter thicker than the standard stamped receivers...Which in the end is better as they are stronger than the regular CETME/PTR receivers. Plus the CETME is a lighter shooting rifle than the HK-91/PTR clones. But in a lighter rifle. And I do believe they put in new barrels too.

Actually I'm waiting for the PTR to come out with their new 20 inch heavy fluted barreled rifles. Going to put on some PSG-1 rails and build myself a PSG-1 clone. Been wainting a HK type "sniper" for a long time.

tman
08-15-2006, 2:31 PM
Got a picture of the VEPR II and woulda ya wanna trade it/sell it???

Pictures? Yes. Sell it? Probably not, as I think I over-paid for it, not to mention what a big ordeal it was for me getting it into the state. There are a couple things I might be willing to trade it for. Like maybe another semi-auto .308 with a pistol grip. Or maybe just something extremely accurate, like a nice Remington 700.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6430/50qa.jpg
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7428/69hs1.jpg

Couple more pics: http://www.icagc.com/akpics/

50 Freak
08-15-2006, 2:38 PM
Nice gun...especially like the Nevada background...or was it Oregon?

Anyways, how do you keep it in CA? Did you fix the mag or cut of the PG?

Also, mags are getting hard to come by, found a guy that sells them new for $35 bucks each.

JPglee1
08-15-2006, 2:44 PM
Tman...why not convert it to a SAIGA stock and then use the detachable mags???

If mags weren't so hard to come by, I'd trade you for a FAL :D

J

tman
08-15-2006, 2:46 PM
Nice gun...especially like the Nevada background...or was it Oregon?

Anyways, how do you keep it in CA? Did you fix the mag or cut of the PG?

Also, mags are getting hard to come by, found a guy that sells them new for $35 bucks each.
Thanks for the compliment.

Those pics are from right here in Northern California. One is in my parent's backyard, and the other is at the shooting range.

I pinned the magazine. No way I would take a hacksaw to this rifle. It was hard enough for me to make a small gap in the trigger guard, but I know it can easily be replaced. It's not noticable anyhow.

I would be interested in getting some of those $35 mags...

icormba
08-15-2006, 2:59 PM
Not bad price.

Keep in mind this is on an Enterprise receiver (not held in high regards). Parts were never mention (so we don't know if this was a pristine STG-58 kit or beat out South African crap kit).

Overall, I'd want more info on this.....

If it helps... the lower looks like it's a STG lower.
Maybe offer him $600 and see if he takes it?

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1639258

50 Freak
08-15-2006, 3:05 PM
I would be interested in getting some of those $35 mags...

I'll dig through my records and find out who it was that was selling those mags.....Swear, finding those mags was harder than finding an honest politician.

tman
08-15-2006, 3:11 PM
I'll dig through my records and find out who it was that was selling those mags.....Swear, finding those mags was harder than finding an honest politician.
I emailed Robinson Armament asking when the mags will become available again and they wrote back "hopefully in the next couple months"

50 Freak
08-15-2006, 3:31 PM
Don't listen to Robinson Arms....They have been saying "a couple of months" for over a year and half now.

They're absolutely worthless when it comes to supporting the VEPRs. They are too busy pushing their XCR line.

They even closed down their VEPR forum as they were getting too many complaints for VEPR mags and VEPR folders.

SemiAutoSam
08-15-2006, 3:55 PM
Well the good thing about the FAL and PTR is that you can shoot .308

Do they make a .308 Cetmes?

When I was in the market recently, what I wanted was an accurate semi-auto .308 that came with a pistol grip. Here in CA, the options are limited. I think all I could find were the FAL, PTR, VEPR II, Vulcan .308 AR lower, and maybe one other rifle which I cannot quite recall off of the top of my head.

It seems the HK41 and later HK-91 are the refined imported versions of the Cetme spanish rifle.

Here is more info on the Cetme

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G3_rifle

http://www.cetme.org/

Background: Creation of C.E.T.M.E.

It would be practically impossible to talk about the origins and development of the CETME rifle without giving a background, if briefly, of the gestation and birth of the Center of it's origins. This is the Center for Technical Studies of Special Materials(C.E.T.M.E.).

At the end of the Second World War scientists, engineers and technicians of all classes that had worked for the powerful German arms industry were found in a pretty particular situation. They couldn't find support or work of any type, which made their living conditions very precarious. But soon after the winning powers, conscience of the great professional value and experience of these technicians, started to contract their services in a more or less underground way.

Other nations outside of the recent conflict began to contract German arms technicians. In less than three years after German surrender, demand for the technicians became world wide.

In Spain, about the end of 1948, our authorities realized the advandages that would result from the putting to use these German technicians and decided to contract them. For this the Chief of State ordered the creation of a working plan from Lt. General Don Juan Vigon, at that time the Chief of High State (Alto Estado Mayor A.E.M.). The basic idea of the plan elaborated by General Vigon and approved by Franco consisted of contracting and bringing to Spain a group of German technicians for the maximum experience possible in each of the armament fields in highest need. Said technicians would be integrated into a Center where they would form teams, such as Small Arms, Artillery, Gunpowder and Explosives, etc. Young Armament engineers would be placed as they graduated from the newly formed Army Polytechnical Superior School. With this plan it was intended:
a)
Provide advanced technical, theoretical and practical knowledge to the new Spanish engineers, which would constitute a truely modern post-graduate program.
A special thank you to P Fuentes for supplying this report and R Santini's and Rafa's translation. If anyone else can help translating, there are 25 pages to this report. Please contact me. The information above is from page one. Any help will be appreciated. Muchas gracias!
b)
To make great steps in developing conventional weapons more advanced than current domestic designs including modern methods of manufacturing and tooling.
c)
To somehow contribute to the Auxiliary industry in Spain. This was a serious concern to the authorities and all sectors involved with the industrialization of Spain, especially the National Industry Institute (INI). Everyone was aware that the only way to industrialize a country is to stimulate it's Auxiliary industry. The level of develpoment within this industry is the only true measure of a nations industrialization.
For these reasons and also a certain amount of reservation it was thought early that the new Center should be depentent on the INI(now SEPI).

So the Center was created within INI dependent upon INI administration, but developments and directives coming from AEM. The annual budget being provided by the Ground Army, Navy and Air Forces.

Rumpled
08-15-2006, 11:32 PM
I'm gonna have to look more into a CETME.
.308 Semi Auto that's only about $350, right?

Gotta find a willing FFL and seller combo.

JPglee1
08-15-2006, 11:35 PM
I'm gonna have to look more into a CETME.
.308 Semi Auto that's only about $350, right?

Gotta find a willing FFL and seller combo.

CETMEs beat the living plss outta you compared to the cushy recoil of a FAL...

They get the job done, but they aren't pleasant (or as pleasant) as a FAL/M1A to shoot.

They are also a little more crude than a PTR-91, and the safety works opposite of the HK.

They are OK< but I doubt you'll find anything but a Century gun riddled with problems (RUN from a century CETME, their FALs can be fixed, the CETMEs are very rarely made to work)...

I personally would rather have a $400-500 M1 Garand in .308 than a CETME....

JP

Rumpled
08-15-2006, 11:55 PM
JP
Thanks for the tips/advice.
I still wanna get one, while I still can.
(Lots on the list of wants, including that $400 .308 Garand and a FN49)

ivanimal
08-16-2006, 7:54 AM
Thanks JP:D