PDA

View Full Version : little problem with su-16 :NO RIFLEING?

billyjoblack
08-15-2006, 11:27 AM
while visiting local gun shop a man brought back a su-16 that he said was not hitting the target at all when the owner of the store looked it over he said (aha there is no rifeling) wow . i thought all new guns were test fired haw did this happen.after caling the company they sent the costumer a new hard case.

eckerph
08-15-2006, 11:40 AM
I assume they sent the case so the rifle could be returned?

billyjoblack
08-15-2006, 11:42 AM
thay sent the case and a new rifel.

grammaton76
08-15-2006, 1:12 PM
Heh, that's impressive. I believe if there really wasn't any rifling, technically they had manufactured and sold a short barrelled shotgun (smoothbore 16" barrel), although good luck in finding much in the line of 223 shotshells.

metalhead357
08-15-2006, 2:43 PM
Heh, that's impressive. I believe if there really wasn't any rifling, technically they had manufactured and sold a short barrelled shotgun (smoothbore 16" barrel), although good luck in finding much in the line of 223 shotshells.

And hence the no-trouble shipment of another gun; coving thier rears is my guess............

Satex
08-15-2006, 3:04 PM
while visiting local gun shop a man brought back a su-16 that he said was not hitting the target at all when the owner of the store looked it over he said (aha there is no rifeling) wow . i thought all new guns were test fired haw did this happen.after caling the company they sent the costumer a new hard case.

That person should have his gun taken away. I can't stand to hear about folks that buy guns and go shoot them without basic learning about the firearm. Based on this story it sounds like he never cleaned it before taking it out shooting and he never looked down the barrel. This is the kind of person that has "accidents just happen" to him!

blacklisted
08-15-2006, 3:42 PM
It sounds like the rifling could have been filled in with fouling or something.

Otherwise, it is scary that someone fired the gun without even looking it over...

CWM4A1
08-15-2006, 4:05 PM
The range that I work at used to rent out a Walther TPH that shoot like crap (but still shoots). After I give it a detail clean, patches, lead remover etc, al., I found there is no rifling in the barrel... So this kind of crap does happen from time to time. Needless to say, we immediately contact Walther and sent the pistol back. Since Walther does not produce this line of pistol anymore, it was being replaced by another gun instead (.380 PPK AFAIK).

CALI-gula
08-15-2006, 5:10 PM
With no rifling, I can only imagine the pressures in the barrel would have been greater, even if slightly, and there should have been a significant difference in the feel that something was not right in some way. I have never rifle that was not rifled to know the effect.

I store my guns properly, keep them clean, etc. Even still, before shooting any gun, I always at least look down the barrel to be sure it is clear, and frequently check my guns to be sure parts, or pieces from other guns (or things) have not fallen down into the barrel. I'll often look at the crown to be sure it is still in decent shape as well.

Imagine all the small things that pop off your guns or things you use to clean guns, and now imagine something accidentally getting down in there. Something as simple as a narrow pen-cap down the barrel of a .308 or a lost spring from something else in your AR could casue serious havoc.

I had heard stories of spiders building trap-webs down in C&R barrels and plugging them up with dead bugs, after the rifles have sat for years on arsenal racks. I always thought that was an odd story until inspecting a beautiful Krag-Jorgensen for sale in excellent condition from an older gent, and sure enough, since it sat in his den for many years, there were over 5 tiers of "bubble" like webs down in the barrel along with numerous spider molted skins. The bore was mint; it just needed cleaning.

JPglee1
08-15-2006, 5:23 PM
Someone should make little unobtrusive rubber plugs to prevent that issue...

Maybe something with a dessicant pack on a string, drop it in the barrel and plug it off.

Hrm, I should write this stuff down :D

J

metalhead357
08-15-2006, 6:25 PM
Maybe something with a dessicant pack on a string, drop it in the barrel and plug it off.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Dont do it; the des packs act like a corrosive salt to metal when wet:eek:

ivanimal
08-15-2006, 6:43 PM
That person should have his gun taken away. I can't stand to hear about folks that buy guns and go shoot them without basic learning about the firearm. Based on this story it sounds like he never cleaned it before taking it out shooting and he never looked down the barrel. This is the kind of person that has "accidents just happen" to him!

Easy now Satek, I have taken a lot of guns out to shoot right from the store. Before, when you did not have to wait 10 days we would often go down to Sears or Wards buy a rifle and then go shoot em. We never looked down the barrel. If it is you preference to do that then do it. Do not spew venom on those that dont. This may be a person that has never owned a rifle and did not know what to look for. That is how we learn. I dont see any accidents here waiting to happen. Just a maufacturer that has quality control issues. Lay off the "take the weapons from the loser" type comments or I will erase them.

Satex
08-15-2006, 7:30 PM
Easy now Satek

Ivan the great! (don't want to upset a moderator)
It is not a take the weapon from the loser response. It is a response to comes to demonstrate how important it is to learn your tool before using it! As you know, firearms are a great hobby and much more than that, but given wrong handling, they become very very dangerous tools.
I think it is our collective responsibility to make sure we get the safety and training point across to any visitor of this great site!
What happened to this gentleman is a great example of something he could have discovered before shooting the first round. And BTW, just because you did that many years ago, it doesn't mean its right - does it?
All the best!
Peace on Earth, and in this forum :D

ivanimal
08-15-2006, 7:58 PM
Ivan the great! (don't want to upset a moderator)
It is not a take the weapon from the loser response. It is a response to comes to demonstrate how important it is to learn your tool before using it! As you know, firearms are a great hobby and much more than that, but given wrong handling, they become very very dangerous tools.
I think it is our collective responsibility to make sure we get the safety and training point across to any visitor of this great site!
What happened to this gentleman is a great example of something he could have discovered before shooting the first round. And BTW, just because you did that many years ago, it doesn't mean its right - does it?
All the best!
Peace on Earth, and in this forum :D

It does not make it wrong either. It is just your opinion and I would appreciate if you would take a kinder approach when sharing it. You know nothing of the end user and still shout "TAKE HIS GUN". Relax.....This is the opinion of a person not a moderator.

billyjoblack
08-15-2006, 8:05 PM
after a short chat with this man in the store about building a oll ak it was appearent that his gun skills were good he spoke very slow as he expland that during his second tour in vietnam he had kept three ak's all milled recievers and now has them in montana.he said that he only shot 10 rounds

through the su-16 befor he thought something was wrong . he has ben finshing gunsmithing school and worked at a shop in california saleling guns for twelve years. he kept telling the store owner that all new guns must be test fired and so if it was how did kel-tec not catch this .by time he left the store i was convenced he would never by a kel-tec rifel again.

ohsmily
08-15-2006, 8:25 PM
through the su-16 befor he thought something was wrong .

I was able to wade my way through some of your post, as difficult as it was...but I was unable to make sense of the above part...HUH??

Stevil
08-15-2006, 9:21 PM
Aren't there some parked cars you need to go chase?

jdberger
08-15-2006, 9:51 PM
I was able to wade my way through some of your post, as difficult as it was...but I was unable to make sense of the above part...HUH??
accidental carraige return.

ivanimal
08-15-2006, 10:28 PM
We are done here. Please lighten up people.