PDA

View Full Version : Finally finished refinishing my M95

pingpong
01-15-2011, 7:25 PM
I've had this rifle for over a year, and I've had the stock stripped and sanded for over 4 months now. Today, I finally got off my butt and restained it (using the Rit-Dye method). Here's the end result:

http://sudorm-rf.com/gallery/d/2866-2/steyr-mannlicher_m95_right_1.JPG

In real life it's more brown than red.

This is the third rifle I've refinished, and the 2nd one that I used the el cheapo rit-dye method on, and so far it's the best looking one in my collection IMO.

Before anyone rails on me for using the oven-cleaner + cloth dye method on a piece of history, let me just say...

Meh, I'm keeping this one for myself and don't intend on selling it so I could care less.

Palimino Stripe
01-15-2011, 8:19 PM
Looks nice. That being said- it's a shame you used oven cleaner. Not because of the 'history' aspect- but because in the words of Candyman (on Surplusrifle forum): "Oven cleaner is bad JuJu when it comes to wood."

Basically it irreparably damages the wood fibers of the stock. Yeah, it's not going to ruin it immediately- but once the damage is done- it's done. In the future avoid harsh chemical cleaners- there ARE simple alternatives (and that goes for everyone else reading this too).

Overall though- it looks really nice. And that's coming from a Steyr M95 fanatic.

-Palimino

pingpong
01-15-2011, 8:33 PM
Looks nice. That being said- it's a shame you used oven cleaner. Not because of the 'history' aspect- but because in the words of Candyman (on Surplusrifle forum): "Oven cleaner is bad JuJu when it comes to wood."

Basically it irreparably damages the wood fibers of the stock. Yeah, it's not going to ruin it immediately- but once the damage is done- it's done. In the future avoid harsh chemical cleaners- there ARE simple alternatives (and that goes for everyone else reading this too).

Overall though- it looks really nice. And that's coming from a Steyr M95 fanatic.

-Palimino

I considered using some wood stripper on the old finish, but I wasn't sure if that would leech out the cosmo that made its way deeper into the wood. TBH I'm not even sure if oven cleaner would get deep enough, but I figured it'd have a better chance than wood stripper. In any case, my belief (which might be too optimistic) is that the over cleaner won't penetrate past the point that I planned to sand.

What are some of the physical effects that I should be able to see on the wood? I'm a noob when it comes to woodworking, so I probably won't see it unless someone points it out to me.

Palimino Stripe
01-15-2011, 9:56 PM
What are some of the physical effects that I should be able to see on the wood?...

After using it once- nothing out of the ordinary. As I said- you ended up with a really nice looking stock. But one needs to keep in mind that these old military stocks are not made of plastic; wood is a living, breathing material. If you treat it with care it will last another 100 years +. If chemicals are used- it shortens the life... I suppose an analogy that could be drawn would be cigarettes. Smoking few times and then stopping won't kill you - but it does affect your health (and if you do it enough, it will shorten your life). Same with the wood. I wouldn't say the wood is doomed to disintegrate into dust anytime soon. And you mentioned you are not going to sell it- and that's fine- but please preserve it for future generations; leave the oven cleaner to ovens :)

Oh- and if you really want to learn a lot about stock care- look around here: http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=83

Lots of useful info in that forum. You'll go from noob to expert in no time flat.

Cheers,

-Palimino

P.s. If one must use a chemical cleaner- consider using this chem-clean method: http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=99678