View Full Version : The wild within

01-15-2011, 7:05 PM
anyone seen this new show? coming from a marketing background there are some strange forces at work here...

look at this crew blog from the show.

"There are times on a shoot when some of what sticks with you the most after itís over is what you experienced when the cameras stopped rolling. Or, in this case, when the cameras were rolling on equally important footage elsewhere, and you got to experience a rare, totally unexpected moment of learning and wonder.
As a former vegetarian who slowly returned to eating meat, I knew that working on TWW was going to challenge me. Roughing it in The Breaks for several days wasnít going to be tough. Instead, it was knowing that I was going to come face-to-face with watching an animal die. As someone who once firmly believed she could never watch someone else go hunting, let alone try it herself, I was nervous about how I would react to watching the buffalo harvest. Would I feel a sense of revulsion? Of regret?
I watched Steve shoot the buffalo from a distance. Then I moved up to the kill site to watch him and Robbie Magnan begin skinning it. Mo and Nick filmed Steve and Robbie at work, and I was struck by my own unfolding interest in what I was seeing. I moved in closer to take some photos of the buffalo, including photos of its face. The action didnít seem macabre, but rather reverential. I was in awe of this animal and its sheer size. And while it had only moments ago been a living creature, it had begun to be transformed into something else ĖĖ sustenance. It was taking on a new form as it was field dressed. It was slowly beginning to change into food."

Eric Mayer
01-15-2011, 8:11 PM
Although I've only seen one episode so far, I like it. He's a bit preachy for me sometimes, but I like that he is out there getting it done and showing the truth for a change (ie: his brother's blacktail deer running off).

It's a good show, on a decent size network (Travel Channel) and I think he will convert some of those who may be sitting on the fence about hunting (like your quote).

Eric :cool:

01-16-2011, 2:51 PM
Yes I like the show and what he has to say, shows hunting in a positive light.:D

01-16-2011, 3:49 PM
I got this one Tivo'd, looks very interesting.

01-16-2011, 5:17 PM
Show was okay. I will watch it again. I had a really hard time with his whole "take care of yourself and not rely on others attitude" and the fact that he lives in one of the biggest cities in the world. Seemed like a bit of a contradiction to me and the wife.

01-16-2011, 5:18 PM
vegetarians & non hunters are only a few days with out food away from their paleolithic heritage & would eat the a-hole of a rotten road kill opossum if put into just a mild survival situation.
It's odd to me that vegetarianism & hands off carnivorism has become a luxury in our society.
i'm not sure if carnivorism (spell check does not recognize it) is actually a word but i want credit for it if i just invented it. ;)

01-16-2011, 6:16 PM
I wonder how many animals it would take to cover a year of food for one person? 3-4 good sized ones? supplement that with fish etc, would be pretty cool. I bet the hardest part would be the veggies, takes too long to grow...

02-21-2011, 3:46 AM
Finally got to see the show. Steven Rinell in the intro to the TV show Wild Within on the the Travel Channel with the lousy gun safety. Would you hunt with someone who walks around with their finger on the trigger? You'd think they would have caught that in the editing but let's not let a little gun safety ruin the show right?

https://s-hphotos-ash4.fbcdn.net/184190_10150093338410779_10251505778_6739423_41613 6_n.jpg

The Hawaii axis hunt show sweeping his guide with his muzzle. Someone teach this boy some gun safety please!.

https://s-hphotos-ash1.fbcdn.net/180625_1806578040667_1126381876_2102478_94605_n.jp g

02-21-2011, 6:48 AM
Yeap, finger indexing = gun safety 101, one of the first we are thought, and it quickly becomes natural. That's not even a natural way to hold a shotgun/rifle. Who knows, a producer or director may have told him to hold it like that, and he fell for it.

When our family group hunts we pick one person to be the Hunt Master. Before we stare hunting the Hunt Master will lead a safety meeting and lay out the rules and discuss any issues and answer questions. If someone notices an unsafe act while they can yell stop and correct the problem or report it to the Hunt Master. That way everybody’s on the same sheet of music. Even with all that, some of them still don’t want to be corrected, some have mouth off or get grumpy, it’s mostly the younger ones that get offended when they’re told what to do.

02-21-2011, 7:04 AM
Sounds like someone needs to re-take the hunter safety course LOL. I notice they dismiss a lot of basic firearm safety in these hunting shows in order to get the shot (camera shot that is) if you figure there is a man attached to the camera filming. I notice guys shooting OVER a camera all the time (I guess if it's a remote actuated camera it's OK, but I'm guessing there's a person working it, and pointing the muzzle in a general direction of a person is a no-no)
I still like this show a lot, I think it's the most "anti" friendly, pro-hunting show on television, and the guy (Rinella) is a good ambassador for the sport. Now, if we could only teach him some trigger discipline.

02-21-2011, 5:28 PM
I like his shows he seems like a good outdoors men.

02-21-2011, 10:06 PM
It's odd to me that vegetarianism & hands off carnivorism has become a luxury in our society.
vegetarianism and political correctness exists solely as a luxury of technology and markets and I would add a long history of subsistence hunting as well. If we weren't such good hunters we wouldn't have survived to develop yuppiedom

02-22-2011, 9:04 AM
I enjoy the show.

02-22-2011, 7:39 PM
I saw him take meat from a carcass the other day and did not tag it? I wonder if that was poaching, more then likely the whole think was a "set up"

02-22-2011, 8:56 PM
The only thing hokey I've seen on this show so far was the "urban" hunting in SF. Eating roadkill and trying to cook pigeon eggs was a little crazy, looked like a desperate attempt to me. As far as not tagging his kill, I've never seen anyone fill out a tag on a hunting show before this one (one of the earlier episodes, he showed how to properly tag a rack before field dressing) I don't really think that's necessarily a "set up"

02-23-2011, 5:54 AM
i guess thats a good point but he was deer hunting, not antelope hunting and he finds this antelope with the rear legs removed. So he cuts it up and takes the back straps and the front shoulders. I shuld have said i dont know if he had a tag or even needed one.

02-23-2011, 6:39 PM
I agree, I like all his shows except that new SF episode.

02-27-2011, 11:37 PM
More muzzle sweepage from Steven in the Alberta Canada moose show. As he bangs his pack out of the bed of this truck he sweeps the cameraman with the muzzle of his rifle as he puts the pack on. I'm trying to like this guy and his show but these unsafe acts with a rifle in every show make me want to just shake him.

https://s-hphotos-ash4.fbcdn.net/184344_1819000831229_1126381876_2124822_6977329_n. jpg

and again when he moves on a moose. I couldn't get the muzzle pointed right at the cameraman on this one as the video sometimes makes the gun hard to see but he does sweep the guy right across the middle.

https://s-hphotos-ash4.fbcdn.net/183460_1819005351342_1126381876_2124827_4771040_n. jpg

Yup, that's a good solid rest for that rifle. When it falls off the canoe from Steven rocking it from tying down that moose wouldn't it be better to have the rifle pointed the other way? Or better yet, lay the rifle on the ground pointed the other way so it can't fall off an unstable canoe?

https://s-hphotos-ash4.fbcdn.net/190456_1819010671475_1126381876_2124832_6319750_n. jpg

Not trying to pick nits here but this guy makes me cringe. Please tell me all the cameramen and sound guys made it through the season right?