PDA

View Full Version : Advice for first hunting recurve.

pistoler0
01-15-2011, 5:33 PM
I want to get into hunting with recurves this coming deer season, I have shot bows many times and have a pretty good handle on it. I don't want a compound bow, feels less natural. I know that I want a takedown recurve but I don't know which one. I was hoping someone here has some experience with various models and could tell me there thoughts. Price isn't much of a problem, I was looking at the hoyt buffalo or gamemaster and the Bear Takedown, maybe a martin. Any thoughts?

spectr17
01-15-2011, 6:58 PM
I've got a Sky Archery TD hunter 50#. It's Earl Hoyt's old archery company that he renamed to Sky after he sold Hoyt to them. There are plenty of good TD recurve bows out there. I got mine off Ebay after waiting for almost a year with an alert set for anyone selling a Sky bow. I also found a Sky Archery Rogue long bow on Archery Talk after about a year that I bought. You might want to look at longbows too if you haven't. Earl sure made some sweet ones. I've shot a few Bear and Martin recurves and like them.

I'm sure you know the tough thing with recurve or long bow hunting is you have to get close, real close unless you can pull 70# and still hit a small target. I try and keep it to under 25 yards. I used to hunt with a 70# self bow that a friend made for my dad but that bow was stolen years ago from our farmhouse. I prolly couldn't pull that bow today anyway. With that bow I could shoot 35-40 yards max.

The other big decision is what arrows to shoot, stay true trad with cedar or go carbon. I'm still shooting cedar but I don't have a lot of time to make and crest my arrows anymore so I have a friend do it for me. Cedars aslpode when they hit stuff, worse then carbon arrows many times so plan on spending some bones on arrows.

Quivers are another thing to deal with. I can't stand hip quivers while still hunting in the woods because they snag up too much and I wear a backpack so a back quiver is out most of the time for me. I use a Selway bow mounted leather quiver.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/images/sky_bow_rogue_brace_knock_3_15_2004.jpg

1st5
01-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Check Tradgang.com for all you need to know about trad bowhunting. I started with a basic, used Bear recurve off of Ebay. I now shoot a custom Morrison take down recurve.

pistoler0
01-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Definitely helps.