PDA

View Full Version : New here ... Hi!

ZipperZap
08-15-2006, 8:17 AM
Been on quite a number of forums for a long time - and somehow have missed this one!

I'm Scott. I'm in San Diego and have been collecting and acquiring anything/everything
interesting since I was 13 (1958). My first rifle was a Remingtom 511 ScoreMaster which
I got/shot on Halloween in '53.

One of my sons works at a local gunshop/indoor shooting range. We reload
and try to get out on the range atleast once a week.

My interests have always been older military (mostly U.S.) ... latest acqsituations are
a M'84 Trapdoor (almost mint), M'99 Krag carbine and I pick up an M1A1 carbine today.
... I've got the addiction - bad!:D

Anyone in the area who'd like to get together for a cup of coffee or a chat'nshoot let me
know.:)

S

blkA4alb
08-15-2006, 8:26 AM
Welcome to Calguns! Thanks for the introduction. We try to play nice here as often as possible :D . If it was still up I would say have a glance at the FAQ, are you interested or have you picked yourself up an OLL?

The Soup Nazi
08-15-2006, 8:28 AM
M1A1 Carbine? You mean the ones with the folding buttstocks are still out there?

xrMike
08-15-2006, 8:55 AM
I'm in San Diego and have been collecting and acquiring anything/everything interesting since I was 13 (1958). My first rifle was a Remingtom 511 ScoreMaster which I got/shot on Halloween in '53.Nice to meet you Scott.

I'm dying to hear the story of how you got shot with your first rifle on Holloween in 1953.

;) Just kidding!

ZipperZap
08-15-2006, 9:46 AM
LOL ... it was about -10F in an abandoned gravel pit outside of town - Lake Orion, MI - and I was so bundled up in layer upon layer of clothes I doubt I could have been hurt much with anything but a head shot!:D

As I recall I had one glove off to shoot but I couldn't feel my trigger finger!:eek:

... California's SO much bettah!

Re: "M1A1 Carbine? You mean the ones with the folding buttstocks are still out there?"

Sorry, I got carried away ... nope, it's a mint Quality Hardware M1 Carbine - Rok-Ola bbl. I was never re-arsenaled for the bayo lug. Pretty slick little carbine.:D

What's the 'OLL' reference?

blkA4alb
08-15-2006, 9:53 AM
What's the 'OLL' reference?
Off list lower, the huge buzz around here. Its what is allowing us to all build AR/AK style guns either with fixed magazines or with no evil features and detachable magazines. Do a little reading in the riflemans and legal forum and you should start to catch on. The rifle that you see in my avatar is my recently built california legal AR-15 :D . Gotta love it.

mltrading
08-15-2006, 9:59 AM
Welcome aboard!!!:)

ZipperZap
08-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Ahhhhhhhhh.

We already have a Calif. legal - actually two - FAB-10/M4's.

My son's got his all tricked out. I can post a pic later.

I prefer my scoped M1A NM, anyway.:D

I like the older stuff, nowadays. I seem to be stuck in that Somewhere in Time Syndrome!:)

Stanze
08-15-2006, 10:17 AM
Welcome to Calguns! Fellow San Diegan shooter!:)

ZipperZap
08-15-2006, 10:26 AM
Nice to meet you!:D

Do you ever get to American Shooting Center?
http://www.gotammo.com/

ohsmily
08-15-2006, 10:42 AM
Ahhhhhhhhh.

We already have a Calif. legal - actually two - FAB-10/M4's.

My son's got his all tricked out. I can post a pic later.

I prefer my scoped M1A NM, anyway.:D

I like the older stuff, nowadays. I seem to be stuck in that Somewhere in Time Syndrome!:)

The FAB-10's have a closed magazine well and you can't use detachable magazines with it.

What we are talking about is actual, true ar-15 lower receivers that we can buy here. If you don't have any evil features on the rifle, then you can use your detachable magazines in it (including 30 rounders if you had them here in CA before the ban).

As the others said, do some reading and looking around...they are much cheaper than FAB-10's also; they can be found for 100 bucks if you look around.

Jicko
08-15-2006, 11:03 AM
As the others said, do some reading and looking around...they are much cheaper than FAB-10's also; they can be found for 100 bucks if you look around.

Also, all you need is a "lower receiver".... you can reuse ALL the parts from your FAB-10.....

PS: ADMIN: where did the FAQ go!?
EDIT:
OH..... I FOUND IT.... under "GUN RESOURCES" (underneath the "Donation" button)
http://www.calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm

ivanimal
08-15-2006, 12:16 PM
Welcome!

Nice to see like minded people here.

Hope you stay a while.

Finally someone that got their first gun before me!:D

Stanze
08-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Nice to meet you!:D

Do you ever get to American Shooting Center?
http://www.gotammo.com/

Not as much as I would like to.