PDA

View Full Version : Are Flare Guns legal in CA?

railfan
08-15-2006, 2:50 AM
I recently bought a boat (from out of state) and a neat 37mm flare gun came with it. This seems much better than the puny 12-ga. flares that are generally available for marine use. My question is -- is such a thing legal to own/possess/sell in Kalifornia? Is it considered a firearm? The flares look like BIG (37mm) shotgun shells.

maschronic
08-15-2006, 2:54 AM
I recently bought a boat (from out of state) and a neat 37mm flare gun came with it. This seems much better than the puny 12-ga. flares that are generally available for marine use. My question is -- is such a thing legal to own/possess/sell in Kalifornia? Is it considered a firearm? The flares look like BIG (37mm) shotgun shells.

i think its legal. i remember seeing a flare gun with a large round at Boat US. as long as its a flare gun, you should be ok.

anotherone
08-15-2006, 3:31 AM
As long as it is a dedicated flare gun and CANNOT accomodate grenades or explosives then it should be OK. Remember M203 type grenade launchers are often sold as flare launchers in other states. I do not claim to be an expert so I could be wrong, but be cautious and do your homework before bringing any device that can accept a 37mm projectile into this state.

DRH
08-15-2006, 8:30 AM
37mm launchers are legal as emergency signaling devices, they are smooth bore and can not shoot grenades. In California it is not legal to possess tear gas or pepper spray that is dispersed by any other means other than liquid spray, so no tear gas rounds. It is a federal destructive device if you possess a 37mm launcher with non-lethal rounds such as rubber baton or balls. Also Bird bombs or report rounds are also illegal due to a fairly recent changes in the ATFE explosive laws and permitting process. Note that California also has fireworks laws that could be applied to almost anything, so use it only for signaling (smoke and flares).

xenophobe
08-15-2006, 9:43 AM
Absolutely what ^^^ said. They are signaling devices. 25mm, 37mm, and most other, smoke, light, standalone rocket flares and parachute flares are fine.

Beware, laws reguarding improper usage can be pretty strict. Lighting a flare over water, even a lake may be a felony if nobody is in trouble... and you may have to pay expenses if a search effort is mistakenly called because of your actions. Launching flares in certain areas ( incorporated city limits, in National/State Parks, and fire hazzard areas) will also most likely get you in trouble...

ohsmily
08-15-2006, 10:07 AM
As long as it is a dedicated flare gun and CANNOT accomodate grenades or explosives then it should be OK. Remember M203 type grenade launchers are often sold as flare launchers in other states. I do not claim to be an expert so I could be wrong, but be cautious and do your homework before bringing any device that can accept a 37mm projectile into this state.

You are off on this...the one you need to watch out for is 40mm, not 37mm...