PDA

View Full Version : Are Flare Guns legal in CA?

railfan
08-15-2006, 1:50 AM
I recently bought a boat (from out of state) and a neat 37mm flare gun came with it. This seems much better than the puny 12-ga. flares that are generally available for marine use. My question is -- is such a thing legal to own/possess/sell in Kalifornia? Is it considered a firearm? The flares look like BIG (37mm) shotgun shells.

maschronic
08-15-2006, 1:54 AM
I recently bought a boat (from out of state) and a neat 37mm flare gun came with it. This seems much better than the puny 12-ga. flares that are generally available for marine use. My question is -- is such a thing legal to own/possess/sell in Kalifornia? Is it considered a firearm? The flares look like BIG (37mm) shotgun shells.

i think its legal. i remember seeing a flare gun with a large round at Boat US. as long as its a flare gun, you should be ok.

anotherone
08-15-2006, 2:31 AM
As long as it is a dedicated flare gun and CANNOT accomodate grenades or explosives then it should be OK. Remember M203 type grenade launchers are often sold as flare launchers in other states. I do not claim to be an expert so I could be wrong, but be cautious and do your homework before bringing any device that can accept a 37mm projectile into this state.

xenophobe
08-15-2006, 8:43 AM
Absolutely what ^^^ said. They are signaling devices. 25mm, 37mm, and most other, smoke, light, standalone rocket flares and parachute flares are fine.

Beware, laws reguarding improper usage can be pretty strict. Lighting a flare over water, even a lake may be a felony if nobody is in trouble... and you may have to pay expenses if a search effort is mistakenly called because of your actions. Launching flares in certain areas ( incorporated city limits, in National/State Parks, and fire hazzard areas) will also most likely get you in trouble...

ohsmily
08-15-2006, 9:07 AM
As long as it is a dedicated flare gun and CANNOT accomodate grenades or explosives then it should be OK. Remember M203 type grenade launchers are often sold as flare launchers in other states. I do not claim to be an expert so I could be wrong, but be cautious and do your homework before bringing any device that can accept a 37mm projectile into this state.

You are off on this...the one you need to watch out for is 40mm, not 37mm...