PDA

View Full Version : Statewide Initiative

The Rattler
01-15-2011, 11:06 AM
With the coverage that Cal Guns has across the state has there ever been the discussion of doing a statewide initiative to put something like Vermont/Alaska/Arizona Carry on the ballot? Even scaled back vote for "shall issue" with limited requirements would be a step forward. Just seems that everything is defensive today.

The Shadow
01-15-2011, 11:08 AM
It's been discussed in the past. The problem is the thousands of dollars required to get it on the ballot, because petitions need to be filed.

wildhawker
01-15-2011, 11:12 AM
I feel compelled to say that the posters' respective usernames makes this thread feel like one is at the Hall of Justice...

Librarian
01-15-2011, 11:19 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=156804

It's a sad story.

Mad Scotsman
01-15-2011, 11:22 AM
I feel compelled to say that the posters' respective usernames makes this thread feel like one is at the Hall of Justice...

YES!:D

Bhobbs
01-15-2011, 11:25 AM
In my opinion any pro gun ballot initiative would be torn apart so fast by the media that it would have little to no chance of passing.

bwiese
01-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Why do we want to put what we're winning in the courts up to a vote?

lgm118icbm
01-15-2011, 11:37 AM
In my opinion any pro gun ballot initiative would be torn apart so fast by the media that it would have little to no chance of passing.

You might be surprised. I have seen a very recent shift in media coverage of 2a / gun related issues.

The media is still very leftist, but not nearly as bad as before.

Pred@tor
01-15-2011, 11:47 AM
Why not try to get the state constitution Amended again? So you guys ahve a right to keep and bear arms in CA. I'd just try to copy the state of Maine RTKABA the one before kinda sucked.

wildhawker
01-15-2011, 11:54 AM
We have an RKBA (at last, thank you Alan Gura).

See, McDonald v Chicago.

motorhead
01-15-2011, 12:02 PM
too much to lose if it goes against us. too much money available to our opposition. fortunately, we still have a constitution and it's on our side.

mdimeo
01-15-2011, 12:24 PM
With the coverage that Cal Guns has across the state has there ever been the discussion of doing a statewide initiative to put something like Vermont/Alaska/Arizona Carry on the ballot? Even scaled back vote for "shall issue" with limited requirements would be a step forward. Just seems that everything is defensive today.

For your homework assignment, write one hundred times on a piece of paper: "California gun owners are a small minority. Most voters think I'm crazy."

After that, if you still want to go for it, start raising the hundreds of thousands of dollars it would cost to even try.

magsnubby
01-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Why not try to get the state constitution Amended again?

I was involved in gathering signatures for that. It was an eye opener for me. It's harder than you think. You wouldn't believe the amount of gun owners, that refused to sigh the petitions because "I don't want my name on any list".

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=156804

It's a sad story.

Yes it is.

Kid Stanislaus
01-15-2011, 12:39 PM
The same liberal nutjobs that gave us our current state legislature would turn out in mass to vote against it.

PsychGuy274
01-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Why do we want to put what we're winning in the courts up to a vote?

I agree with bwiese.

We're doing a damn fine job in the courts and with some of the current cases we're going to be getting a few guaranteed slam-dunks. It's not worth it to throw that under the tires for a vote in a state like California that WILL fail.

Remember, as gun owners we are a minority. While the anti-gun mentality is changing nation-wide, and the 2nd Amendment is crossing party lines, California is severely lagging behind the rest.

Now is not the time in my opinion.

The Rattler
01-15-2011, 1:13 PM
Enough said. I agree that the courts are our best plan for now.

Pred@tor
01-15-2011, 1:43 PM
I was involved in gathering signatures for that. It was an eye opener for me. It's harder than you think. You wouldn't believe the amount of gun owners, that refused to sigh the petitions because "I don't want my name on any list".

Yes it is.

I was too man but I had the wrong sized paper. :( Some undercover ATF agent came by askign me what it was all about and it was the sterotypical "redneck" guy getting POed and saying we have a 2nd Amendment already and stormed off. I am pretty damn sure it was a phony ATF agent.

Yes Wild Hawker I know about that but it sure aint doing much how there in CA is it? The right to keep and bear arms hasn't been properly incorporated into CA yet now has it? Maybe theres things going on behind the scenes I am unaware of too.