PDA

View Full Version : s&w 22a any thoughts

yoitsbruce
01-14-2011, 9:27 PM
me and my cousin went to the range just to rage on some paper. after a while he starts to use his berretta neos. i shot it and was amazed with the accuracy. i have the advantage arms .22lr conversion for my glock just to get more trigger time and practice with it. but after shooting a dedicated .22 i am considering selling my conversion to get this piece. any thoughts or criticism will help. cheers

reagan8
01-15-2011, 5:19 PM
I have a 22A, but I prefer the conversion kit on my Sig 226.

The 22A is accurate and isn't very finicky about ammo. However, it seems to be designed for smaller hands. I replaced the original grip with a laminated wood target grip and that helped, but the trigger is also small and it's curved more than most. My kids love it, though.

If your goal is to become more proficient with the Glock, stick with the conversion kit. But if you want another toy, I think you'll like the 22A if you don't have large hands.

Izzy43
01-15-2011, 6:36 PM
me and my cousin went to the range just to rage on some paper. after a while he starts to use his berretta neos. i shot it and was amazed with the accuracy. i have the advantage arms .22lr conversion for my glock just to get more trigger time and practice with it. but after shooting a dedicated .22 i am considering selling my conversion to get this piece. any thoughts or criticism will help. cheers

I just did a search for "s&w 22a" and it yielded 3 pages of threads. Might want to try that and read through them. I have a 22A and love it.

audiophil2
01-15-2011, 6:49 PM
I'm a big fan especially since they can be found for $150-175 used.

Ledbetter
01-16-2011, 8:28 AM
I don't care for them. Sold mine happily. Ruger or Buck Mark.

If you're really lucky, you could keep an eye out for a S&W 422 or 622. Not made anymore; uses the same mag as the Model 41.

brassburnz
01-16-2011, 5:34 PM
I have a S&W 22A and an Advantage Arms LE conversion for my Glock 17. The AA unit is just as accurate as the 22A. Why sell the conversion? You can pick up a used 22A for less than $200. I got mine from a buddy for $100. He made me buy it as part of a package for a High Standard Victor!

rg_1111@yahoo.com
01-16-2011, 8:22 PM
Didn't like the magazine release on mine. .22 a is a good shooting pistol.

2DoorImpala
01-16-2011, 9:02 PM
I bought one from a gunner here, dont know how much ammo was shot In the thousands maybe, but all i did so far was polish the feed and small various parts i saw needed a polish and no issues yet. Ive shot over 2,000rds myself.

Webologist
01-17-2011, 7:59 PM
I have one and it's been a great gun. It feeds reliably and is way more accurate than I am.

Pros:

Accurate
Reliable
Nicely weighted
Excellent trigger
Stainless magazines are easy to load and high quality

Cons:

I'm not a fan of the appearance
It has a replaceable nylon slide-spring/buffer. (Both a plus and minus)
Black sights are hard to see in indoor range against black target.
Magazine release is in the front of the grip. Fine once you find it once...
Slide release appears inexpensive, but works fine
I would like it better if it were blued. The finish is raw aluminum and paint. It still looks like new, so it's held up well...

I bought it from Turner's years ago for $214 and have been very happy with it. Not the gun you lust after but it's a great shooter. I use it to get new shooters accustomed to shooting and to plink myself. For new shooters a heavy .22 that has pretty much no recoil is a great intro to shooting. The long sight radius helps as well. I'd buy it again...