PDA

View Full Version : Boyds Tacticool stocks no longer laminate?

G-forceJunkie
01-14-2011, 9:52 PM
I just got a Boyds Tacticool for my 10/22, and unlike previous one, it does not appear, nor feel weight wise, like laminate. Also, on their website, there is no reference to laminate on the Tacticool page, only "hardwood." Anyone else buy a stock reciently and can confirm this? Did Boyds cheap out on us? I have an email in to them, I'll update if they respond.

Gem1950
01-15-2011, 6:16 AM
I just got a Boyds Tacticool for my 10/22, and unlike previous one, it does not appear, nor feel weight wise, like laminate. Also, on their website, there is no reference to laminate on the Tacticool page, only "hardwood." Anyone else buy a stock reciently and can confirm this? Did Boyds cheap out on us? I have an email in to them, I'll update if they respond.

If it is a paint finish I doubt that they would go to the extra expense of using laminated wood. Not at the price they're selling that model for.

G-forceJunkie
01-17-2011, 7:22 PM
Update: Boyds emailed me back, they claim all their Tacticools are made with laminated wood. Interesting. I wonder if its a different grade or something because it sure is not as dense as their other, unpainted, stocks.

Garp
01-18-2011, 8:04 AM
I have an unfinished factory second of that stock due to arrive any day now. That'll confirm it.

Garp
01-18-2011, 9:01 AM
Speak of the devil, it just arrived. Definitely laminate. and when they say factory second, they mean it holy **** this thing is ROUGH and missing large sections.

G-forceJunkie
01-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Does it apear to be similar to the colored, laminated stocks they make? Those are dense and heavy. I suppose laminated can mean everything from scrap glued together to high end, resin impregnated marine grade plywood.

Garp
01-19-2011, 7:55 AM
No, it is light and appears to be on par with plywood. Mine's a factory second it appears they cut it thin on one side, and the blank is missing a stretch of the comb and bottom of the butt.

Could you measure the thickness of the walls on the side, at about this location? Mine's got marker written on it saying 'too thin' with red x on it and I want to see what it's supposed to be. I'll probably just bondo it thicker, fill in the missing wood areas and rough cuts, make a master out of it and dupe it in a boyd's laminate.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa156/NOOk_023/Tacticool_Tan2.jpg

G

G-forceJunkie
01-19-2011, 7:39 PM
My mag well was tight so I had to file and sand it out a good 1/32" on both sides to get the mags to drop out. I don't have the stock here at the house to measure for ya right now.

Garp
01-19-2011, 7:50 PM
tight is OK actually, I cut all my inlets tight, you can always remove wood.