PDA

View Full Version : Aren't the LA City Mayor and his friends great

thomasanelson
08-14-2006, 5:26 PM
Mayor, Police Chief Endorse Bullet-Identification Measure
By Jim Newton, Times Staff Writer
August 10, 2006

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and Police Chief William J. Bratton added their support Wednesday to a bill requiring gun manufacturers to build handguns that would stamp bullet casings with serial numbers an innovation intended to speed investigations by making it easier to link bullets to the weapons that fired them.

The bill, introduced by Assemblyman Paul Koretz (D-West Hollywood), would only affect the manufacture of new semiautomatic handguns, but Bratton and others said it would aid officers in investigating gun violence.

Speaking to reporters at a City Hall news conference, Villaraigosa added his "support for this strong public safety measure."

Proponents say the etching technology would imprint each gun's serial number on bullet casings when the firing pin of the weapon struck the cartridge. They argue that such microscopic imprinting could not be easily tampered with because other identifying marks would reveal what gun fired the bullet.

By cross-checking bullet casings with existing state databases on gun purchases, authorities say they could quickly figure out what gun had fired the bullets recovered from a crime scene.

Opponents complain that the bill would do little to deter criminals, and even Bratton acknowledged that only a small percentage of Los Angeles gun crime is caused by criminals using properly registered weapons.

Holding up a bullet before the mayoral press corps, Bratton said the technology nevertheless could help investigators quickly determine who owned a gun and where it was sold, among other things.

"This is common sense," Bratton said. "Can we not start to have some common sense on this issue?"

In addition to skepticism about the bill's impact, some critics charge that the etching on the firing pins of guns would quickly degrade, rendering the technology ineffective.

Moreover, some maintain that the markings could be inadvertently erased by gun owners cleaning and caring for their weapons.

"If you fix your gun, you face a felony," according to the National Rifle Assn.'s Members' Council position paper opposing the bill.

Koretz complained that opponents have distorted the bill and "mounted a massive campaign to defeat it."

As introduced, the legislation (AB 352) would affect only new semiautomatic handguns. Asked why it did not cover other handguns, neither Villaraigosa nor Koretz could answer, and Bratton said he had asked the same question.

A staff member interjected that authors had elected to focus on semiautomatics because they eject shells while revolvers do not.

As a result, shootings with semiautomatics more often result in shells left behind for police to investigate.

SemiAutoSam
08-14-2006, 5:37 PM
Thats not common sense thats just political sense and the two aren't the same thing.

All this would do is point out that a stolen gun killed someone with joe blows name on the cartrige primer.

That is if thats how it would work ?

TheMan
08-14-2006, 6:14 PM
I do agree with Bratton regarding one thing he said.

"This is common sense," Bratton said. "Can we not start to have some common sense on this issue?"

It WOULD be nice if THEY(the mayor and he) started to have some common sense on the issue. At least he realizes that the problem is that he lacks common sense.

donger
08-14-2006, 6:31 PM
They're both career politicans. Yeah, Bratton served in the NYPD for many years, but his ultimate goal was to rub shoulders with the big shots. Unfortunately, the majority of the people in this great state would probably support their views on the matter and therefore, these two fellows will have to proceed accordingly.

My question to Chief Bratton would be:

"Will you be required to carry a new weapon with the serial number requirements yourself or are you not shackled by such laws?"

Leadthrower
08-14-2006, 8:02 PM
They're both career politicans. Yeah, Bratton served in the NYPD for many years, but his ultimate goal was to rub shoulders with the big shots. Unfortunately, the majority of the people in this great state would probably support their views on the matter and therefore, these two fellows will have to proceed accordingly.

My question to Chief Bratton would be:

"Will you be required to carry a new weapon with the serial number requirements yourself or are you not shackled by such laws?"

I'm willing to bet he doesn't even know where his issued sidearms is, let alone if he even carries. Hell I've ran into lots of P.D. Captains that don't carry because it's been so long since they've had to get dirty doing "In the Trenches" grunt/patrol work.

ArmedWolf
08-14-2006, 8:59 PM
I felt I said it before, or maybe had it in mind, but, it won't help a thing, guy goes to a range, collects fired brass, commits crime, keeps his brass and tosses the collected ones, its pointless.

SemiAutoSam
08-14-2006, 9:01 PM
I suppose then everyone would have to own brass catchers as to not be framed in a crime.

PanzerAce
08-14-2006, 9:29 PM
gotta love it, if they did this microstamping on the firing pin (what the article seems to be implying) you could erase the stamp with 2 passes of a metal file...

thedrickel
08-14-2006, 11:55 PM
Sure it would be easy to file off the serial #, but since they would be making it a crime to do so, NOBODY would do this. Right? :rolleyes:

Funny how they would trust you not to file off the SN but won't trust you not to detach your mag with a tool. . .

If this passes I wouldn't be surprised if they make handgun brass catchers illegal. Morons :mad:

AxonGap
08-15-2006, 8:49 AM
Sure it would be easy to file off the serial #, but since they would be making it a crime to do so, NOBODY would do this. Right? :rolleyes:

Funny how they would trust you not to file off the SN but won't trust you not to detach your mag with a tool. . .

If this passes I wouldn't be surprised if they make handgun brass catchers illegal. Morons :mad:

Like I said in another post, the first thing crooks do w/ stolen guns is remove any identifying marks before they resell them on the streets.

thomasanelson
08-15-2006, 11:24 AM
I could swear the labelled the title something else????:) :)

jester
08-15-2006, 2:38 PM
MAN! If villaraigrooseo would ever do his "F'n" job and stop getting his nose bent outta shape on everything but his job..........
The media just loves this clown though........

M. Sage
08-15-2006, 5:25 PM
I was thinking about this one today... seems like a lot of our elected officials have a rather low opinoin of us.

Don Perata, for one, called people who oppose giving illegal aliens driver's licenses "crackers."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/08/04/BAG7IKB9651.DTL&hw=perata+crackers&sn=001&sc=1000

TKo_Productions
08-15-2006, 5:36 PM
I was thinking about this one today... seems like a lot of our elected officials have a rather low opinoin of us.

Don Perata, for one, called people who oppose giving illegal aliens driver's licenses "crackers."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/08/04/BAG7IKB9651.DTL&hw=perata+crackers&sn=001&sc=1000

Why isn't there any outrage? Why isn't it being carried on the state and even national news?

Last I remember "cracker" is a racial slur.

:confused:

Ford8N
08-16-2006, 5:23 AM
Why isn't there any outrage? Why isn't it being carried on the state and even national news?

Last I remember "cracker" is a racial slur.

:confused:

Because "cracker" is a "politically correct" term. Thus, it is OK. :rolleyes:

ldivinag
08-16-2006, 11:39 PM
maybe good ol don was just up to date on his computer security terminology...

a cracker is a hacker who does bad things... and maybe he was told that those people down in san diego were computer criminals...

1911_sfca
08-16-2006, 11:58 PM
I felt I said it before, or maybe had it in mind, but, it won't help a thing, guy goes to a range, collects fired brass, commits crime, keeps his brass and tosses the collected ones, its pointless.

No, it's much easier than that. You just buy a stolen gun and commit the crime. That's what the criminals do already.

Fate
08-17-2006, 1:06 PM
Perata calls us crackers? Ok, then I can call him a wetback? :rolleyes:

I'm getting quite sick of it becoming socially acceptable to bash whitey without blinking an eye, but scream "racist" when there's even a hint of inequity towards a "minority."

Chaingun
08-17-2006, 1:27 PM
gotta love it, if they did this microstamping on the firing pin (what the article seems to be implying) you could erase the stamp with 2 passes of a metal file...

Or just shoot some Russian ammo. Metal on metal does wonders.

50 Shooter
08-17-2006, 2:45 PM
Anyone want to start a fund to ship Bratton back to NY? If we collect enough, maybe we could send Villarigosa with him.:D

M. Sage
08-17-2006, 5:25 PM
Because "cracker" is a "politically correct" term. Thus, it is OK. :rolleyes:

Yep, you're not racist if you're A: not white or B: using slurs that apply to whites.

grammaton76
08-17-2006, 7:30 PM
Yep, you're not racist if you're A: not white or B: using slurs that apply to whites.

You said 'or'. According to the liberals, all whites are automatically racists.

Slurs that apply to whites, however, are encouraged no matter who you are.

M. Sage
08-17-2006, 7:38 PM
You said 'or'. According to the liberals, all whites are automatically racists.

Slurs that apply to whites, however, are encouraged no matter who you are.

They're actually teaching this in universities now. It's called "Post-Modernism." White people (American ones, that is) have no culture and are racists. That's about what it amounts to.

Oh and we suck because we steal cultural aspects from ethnic groups (hello, Japan calling.)