PDA

View Full Version : UOC for 18-20 yr old in CA

glock22fs
01-14-2011, 6:19 PM
I am 18 and would like to carry in CA but I am not sure if It is legal. I work as a handgun instructor at a major shooting school and I consider myself to be quite proficient with a handgun. I regularly open carry in NV but I live in CA so it would be nice to carry around town even if it is unloaded. Can I carry it here?

Recession
01-14-2011, 6:36 PM
:troll: ???

Veggie
01-14-2011, 7:28 PM
You can't even own a handgun at 18 in CA.

hk91666
01-14-2011, 7:57 PM

Or many other states as well

Mssr. Eleganté
01-14-2011, 7:59 PM

You guys are seriously confused.

You can own a handgun when you are 18 years old in California. In many other States you can even buy handguns when you are 18, as long as you don't buy them from an FFL.

Reductio
01-14-2011, 8:00 PM

*purchase.

Intrafamily transfers.

hk91666
01-14-2011, 8:02 PM
You guys are seriously confused.

You can own a handgun when you are 18 years old in California. In many other States you can even buy handguns when you are 18, as long as you don't buy them from an FFL.

You are correct, I forgot about homeboy gun store in the alley .

Dutch3
01-14-2011, 8:03 PM
Will an 18-year old be able to legally obtain handgun ammo once AB 962 goes into effect?

Mssr. Eleganté
01-14-2011, 8:04 PM

I think you also forgot about perfectly legal intra-familial handgun transfer in California and perfectly legal dealerless handgun transfers in most other States.

rkt88edmo
01-14-2011, 8:05 PM

You're really being dense about this.

You can legally own a handgun at 18 in CA.

Reductio
01-14-2011, 8:05 PM

Wow, why don't you try to learn the law before you go spouting off?

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_Firearms_Among_Some_Family_Members#Ha ndgun_transfer_to_18-20_is_OK

hk91666
01-14-2011, 8:06 PM
Relax i was joking

Mssr. Eleganté
01-14-2011, 8:18 PM
I am 18 and would like to carry in CA but I am not sure if It is legal. I work as a handgun instructor at a major shooting school and I consider myself to be quite proficient with a handgun. I regularly open carry in NV but I live in CA so it would be nice to carry around town even if it is unloaded. Can I carry it here?

If you legally own a handgun at age 18 then the laws on unloaded open carry in California are exactly the same for you as they are for a 21 year old.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-14-2011, 8:20 PM
Will an 18-year old be able to legally obtain handgun ammo once AB 962 goes into effect?

The will have to keep obtaining it the same way they have to do it now...from their parents. :)

Veggie
01-14-2011, 9:29 PM
My mistake totally didn't even think about intra-family.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-14-2011, 10:07 PM
My mistake totally didn't even think about intra-family.

Another way an 18 year old could legally own a handgun in California is if they purchased it from a private party while they were a resident of another State that allows private party sales of handguns to 18 year olds. Then they move to California and register the handgun via the New Resident Handgun Report form. "Personal handgun importers" only need to be 18 years old.

wellerjohn
01-15-2011, 7:29 AM

Make sure you have a "Handgun Safety Card" on you.

QQQ
01-15-2011, 8:22 AM
Make sure it's unloaded, too.

AK4me
01-15-2011, 8:30 AM
Make sure you have a "Handgun Safety Card" on you.

Why would you need a Handgun Safety Card,I think you only need that to buy it from an ffl

CSACANNONEER
01-15-2011, 8:57 AM

WOW, I know that both of you have already been corrected as far as interfamilar transfers go but, I want to point out that an 18-20 year old can also manufacture his/her own handgun and, I think they can also inherit a handgun as well.

Any 18 year old has not been able to purchase handgun ammo for decades. AB962 doesn't change a thing in that regard.

Why would you need a Handgun Safety Card,I think you only need that to buy it from an ffl

Yes. Anyone who receives a handgun in Ca is required to have a HSC. I'm not sure if one would be required for manufacturing one though.

Quiet
01-15-2011, 9:45 AM

AB962 will not change anything for persons udner 21 years of age, since FEDERAL LAWS that have been in effect since 1968 prohibits persons under 21 years of age in purchasing handgun ammo.

motorhead
01-15-2011, 11:17 AM
once upon a time, back when the state was free, you could buy guns from the newspaper classifieds. many free states still embrace this. it's unfortunate we have an entire generation indoctrinated to believe guns can only be purchased through an ffl.

ale014
01-15-2011, 12:06 PM
once upon a time, back when the state was free, you could buy guns from the newspaper classifieds. many free states still embrace this. it's unfortunate we have an entire generation indoctrinated to believe guns can only be purchased through an ffl.

^^ this....oh how i wish i lived through the 80's

CSACANNONEER
01-15-2011, 12:18 PM

I still see an occassional newpaper add for firearms in CA. Some even indicate that they are C&R long guns and no FFL is needed. Yes, I'm talking about adds in LA County of all places!

^^ this....oh how i wish i lived through the 80's

No you don't. Those of us who were there remember the Spandex, PAt Benatar wanna bees, Devo, mullets, AIDS, 15 DAY WAITING PERIOD for firearms, etc. Besides, the 1987 Stockton school yard shooting started the whole AW thing in CA. For a time being, during the 80's, any firarm capable of containing more than five rounds was considered to be an AW in the unincorporated areas of San Mateo County and was illegal to own there. YES, my new .36 cal cap and ball revolver was considered a modern AW for a breif period in the 80's.

donw
01-15-2011, 12:30 PM
dang................it's often been a quandary of mine that in many, if not most, states, an 18 year old can vote but cannot drink, purchase a handgun from an FFL but yet they may: die on a battlefield, marry and have children, get a drivers license and pay income and property taxes...

i was in the army at age 18 and in a war at 20 years of age...

Dutch3
01-15-2011, 12:35 PM
I still see an occassional newpaper add for firearms in CA. Some even indicate that they are C&R long guns and no FFL is needed. Yes, I'm talking about adds in LA County of all places!

I remember when the "Recycler" was the best paper to find used firearms. I once drove down to OC from Ventura county with a friend so he could purchase an AR-15 that was listed there. It was late in the evening and the seller waited up for us. He probably thought we were a couple of pretty stupid kids (which we likely were).

FTF cash and carry, everybody was happy. That was 30 years ago, how times have changed.

Agreed, I have no desire to relive the decade of the valley girls and Oingo Boingo.

safewaysecurity
01-15-2011, 12:36 PM
You don't even need to own the handgun to open carry it. Get a friend to lend it to you.

rugershooter
01-15-2011, 11:04 PM
I obtained my Ruger P89 when I was 18 through an intra-familial handgun transfer. I'm 20 now and open carry fairly frequently. Nothing in the PC says that I can't do so under the age of 21.

Tripper
01-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Yes you need a Handgun Safety Certificate
that is in the code under 12078 c 2 B

(B) The person taking title to the firearm shall first obtain a
handgun safety certificate.
(C) The person receiving the firearm is 18 years of age or older.
(3) As used in this subdivision, "immediate family member" means
any one of the following relationships:
(A) Parent and child.
(B) Grandparent and grandchild.