PDA

View Full Version : What's up with these gun laws?

HealthyGunz
01-14-2011, 7:05 PM
I don't quite understand the whole purpose of the whole "banning guns" and "banning carry" thing. Ok, I lied. I understand the purpose. The purpose is to prevent gun casualties; to prevent gun violence, robberies, murders, etc...

This would make sense if criminals had no other way to get guns. This would make sense if getting guns was as hard and cumbersome as creating a nuclear fission bomb. This would make sense if there were literally no guns in the country and therefore no real black market. But even then, there would still be international sources.

But that's not the case. The U.S.A. has had guns since the beginning and they have been out in the hands of the citizens since day one. The U.S.A. is already a gun state. Then, suddenly, thanks likely to urban violence, California banned the carry of guns from their citizens. Why? This makes no sense. It really doesn't. Think about this for a second. It's still OK to have guns, it's still OK to buy guns, but carrying them is illegal with a few exceptions (CCW and other job-related permits). This means that people can now no longer defend themselves with guns but attackers, who would already be guilty of murder or attempted murder, can still carry them to attack people.

What happened? Why is this? Does California not trust its own citizens? Furthermore, if everyone is armed, there is a bigger deferent than any law or enforcement agency to criminals: they will be hurt or killed whenever they attempt violent crime and they will not have power over people. Think of other states or even this one a few years back: Many or most people have guns so everyone is pretty much equal, self-defense wise. There will always be those who are more skilled than others, but at least they all have the same tools.

What CA has done is given the advantage to criminals. They have empowered them. Criminals know that most of their victims are not armed and that is how they prey on them. CA has said "If you are willing to break the law, you can abuse the general public" by creating these laws. Why? How did this happen? If it's because CA is worried about how the general public will handle guns, perhaps CA needs to look into the people in its state.

I don't disagree with all gun laws. I agree with the automatic weapons ban. There's no real purpose in having those unless one wants to cause total carnage. True, there is a fun factor, but a semi-auto is plenty for self-defense. I also don't terribly disagree with the magazine limits. I am not as in-favor of this limit as I am the automatic weapons ban but self-defense can also be achieved with 10-round mags. I also agree with site-bans such as no guns on school campuses, libraries, courts, jails, etc... Guns should not be used in these areas.

But I feel that CA needs a reform in this area. I feel that laws like AB962 (if it goes into effect) and the CCW should be able to be exempted for certain individuals. For example, let's say I'm John Doe Californian and I have legally owned a pistol for 7 years with no incident and am a good person. I should be able to carry for self-defense purposes only. Plain and simple. I should have to pay a fee and the government should run background checks on me, fingerprint, and even ask friends and family about my behavior. But I should be able to carry for self-defense purposes. Let's not kid ourselves; these laws were not designed to ban guns from perfectly good citizens who would only use them in self-defense. They were designed to reduce the potential for criminals to carry guns to do their dirty work. However, they've backfired on us. This is why we need reform. And if you disagree, then why the hell is LA being likened to a third world country by its own attorneys and police chiefs due to its gangs and gun violence WITH these laws in place!?!? I realize LA has bigger problems then just guns; it has lifestyle issues, but something tells me that if everyone was armed in gang neighborhoods, it may play out a bit differently eventually. How do you guys feel about this? Discuss.

JimWest
01-14-2011, 7:36 PM
Welcome to Calguns. Someone will be with you shortly. :cool:

jpigeon
01-14-2011, 7:58 PM
Gun bans are a false sense of security. The CA loaded open carry ban has racist origins.

VegasND
01-14-2011, 9:37 PM
Hang around awhile. It will never make sense but you'll fill in the gaps in your understanding.

Pred@tor
01-15-2011, 5:27 AM
Hmm I want a full auto... Its too bad they're banned since 1986... I'd rather have anew car for the prices asked for old prebans. Although a poster here said you just gotta look for the deals... to pay 4k and what not.

NytWolf
01-15-2011, 7:59 AM
First rule to learned to remember: "Don't try to apply logic to gun laws."

Also, remember this:
This is the same state allowed lawmakers who has never set foot in the forest to ban use of offroad trails located within national parks.

As you can see, there are lots of conflicting facts within just that one sentence, that would anger anyone who tries to apply logic.