PDA

View Full Version : Condor Range - Self Protection Ammo

sfpcservice
01-14-2011, 6:49 PM
My friend said he will be doing some pig hunting in the condor range later this month. He has been talking with DFG to make sure he doesn't get into trouble about the lead ammo. DFG advised him he needed approved non-lead ammo in his hunting rifle and ALSO in his 1911 that he carries for vicious two-legged animals. Is this FUD or do you have to have non-lead ammo even in a firearm intended for self protection use only?

screaming_spool
01-14-2011, 6:57 PM
DFG is Correct

The Geologist
01-14-2011, 7:03 PM
Although it's silly, I believe so
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/

BigDogatPlay
01-14-2011, 7:16 PM
Not FUD, IMO.

So long as he is engaged in hunting, as I understand, all ammo must be lead free within the condor range. They'll be more than happy to cite him, I am sure, if they find lead ammo on him.

OTOH.... if he is not hunting, e.g. just taking a hike in the back country, no hunting license or gear in possession, and happens to be armed for personal protection otherwise obeying all laws, lead ammo ban (I think) would not apply. The statute and regs are geared totally towards hunting.

the_quark
01-14-2011, 7:28 PM
Yes, this is how the regulation is worded. I know CRPA has been working on this, but it hasn't borne fruit, yet.

sfpcservice
01-14-2011, 7:37 PM
Ok... My Next Question:

What if he is in the woods with a rifle and is stopped by DFG and asked if he's hunting and my friend replied "I'm not doing anything illegal, am I being detained?"

I have heard that DFG can enter private property and has other special abilities as far as LEO's go, but if you don't admit to anything and you don't consent to a search, how would the DFG Warden know you had a hunting license?

Nor-Cal
01-14-2011, 7:58 PM
I had been woundering the same I guess it does make sense if you are hunting all ammo in the firearms you are carrying while in the condor zone have to be in complaiance with lead free ammo!

Fjold
01-14-2011, 7:59 PM
If he is hunting, (Walking in the woods with a gun) the DFG can check his license, ammunition (in condor zone), they can search your vehicle for game animals and ammunition (in condor zone).

Dorkhedeos
01-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Ok... My Next Question:

What if he is in the woods with a rifle and is stopped by DFG and asked if he's hunting and my friend replied "I'm not doing anything illegal, am I being detained?"

I have heard that DFG can enter private property and has other special abilities as far as LEO's go, but if you don't admit to anything and you don't consent to a search, how would the DFG Warden know you had a hunting license?

Doesnt make any sense why your friend would reply with that, thats just asking for trouble. I believe DFG can search you as long as you are in that range with a firearm or ammunition visible.

jpigeon
01-15-2011, 12:06 AM
DFG is always right:)

vincewarde
01-15-2011, 12:39 AM
Without comment on the merit of the regulation, since a .45 ACP is technically a legal weapon to take pigs, how is the warden to know that you would not use it to take one? In this regard, the ammo restrictions make sense.

cmth
01-15-2011, 9:59 AM
I bought a box of Cor-Bon DPX .45 +P 185gr solid copper HPs just for the purpose of carrying in the Condor zone. They run about $2/round. Have not shot any of them yet. I'll assume that the ballistics are similar to other 185gr +P loads. There are some other loads on the market as well.

Munk
01-15-2011, 2:22 PM
I bought a box of Cor-Bon DPX .45 +P 185gr solid copper HPs just for the purpose of carrying in the Condor zone. They run about $2/round. Have not shot any of them yet. I'll assume that the ballistics are similar to other 185gr +P loads. There are some other loads on the market as well.

Make sure that those are ALL you have on you.

while hunting these species in this area hunters may not possess any lead projectiles/ammunition and a firearm capable of firing that lead projectile or ammunition

If you have your side arm, and you've got the lead ammo tucked in your pack or wherever, you're technically braking the law, even if you have copper in both the gun and all your loaded mags. posession of lead with the accompanying firearm is a no-no in condor zone while hunting anything.

sbrady@Michel&Associates
01-15-2011, 2:49 PM
Just wanted to let eveyone know that NRA/CRPA Foundation have submitted a letter to the CA Fish & Game Commission requesting a review of this and other similar regulations. An article about the details and the letter itself is available at http://www.calgunlaws.com/index.php/california-agency-publications/43-california-code-of-regulations/910-nracrpa-foundation-legal-action-project-lawyers-submit-pre-litigation-petition-for-review-of-fish-a-game-hunting-regulations-that-infringe-on-self-defense-rights.html

And, there has been recent movement on this. We will disclose more details as they happen.

ColdDeadHands1
01-15-2011, 6:10 PM
Can I have lead in a handgun when hunting upland game birds with a shotgun. The shotgun would have lead shot as that is legal for upland birds as far as I know.

the_quark
01-15-2011, 7:26 PM
Just wanted to let eveyone know that NRA/CRPA Foundation have submitted a letter to the CA Fish & Game Commission requesting a review of this and other similar regulations. An article about the details and the letter itself is available at http://www.calgunlaws.com/index.php/california-agency-publications/43-california-code-of-regulations/910-nracrpa-foundation-legal-action-project-lawyers-submit-pre-litigation-petition-for-review-of-fish-a-game-hunting-regulations-that-infringe-on-self-defense-rights.html

And, there has been recent movement on this. We will disclose more details as they happen.

Thanks for the update. I knew we (CRPA) were working on it, but I hadn't heard an update in a couple of months. Go team!