PDA

View Full Version : Walmart remington 550 golden bullet review

maxxlara
01-14-2011, 6:29 PM
Bought a pack of Walmart Remington 550 golden bullets a couple of days ago for $18.67. I normallly buy the Winchester 555 rounds but someone beat me to it. Oh well. I took both 10/22s to the range. My sons carbine and my race rifle. My son was using the Remingtons and I was testing Stingers in my rifle. (I know, I know) I watched my son load up 3 magazines all ten rounds and he started firing. Right off the bat I noticed a a different sound of each shot. Bang, BANG, thump, whoosh. I was like " what the heck" The gun didnt jam but it was like the powder in the cartridges were not consistant. After about 80 rds I wanted to try these bullets. I took over his gun and fired. The first few were normal. But I did have alot of underpowered ones. I actually thought one didnt leave the barrel and had to check. Accuracy was all over the place. Some were bullseyes and some barley hit the paper like it laubed out the barrel. Mind you we were only shooting 25yards with open sights. How Remington could let something like this happen is beyond me. After a while I gave him a box of the Winchester 555s and he finished off our time.
On a different note, I shot 100rds of cci stingers in my race rifle with the bull barrel it came with, no problems at all. I know I wasnt supposed to but I had to see if it could. Just my 2 cents...

Noobert
01-14-2011, 6:44 PM
Remington ammo sucks, your experience is quite typical. And BTW, it's "magazine", not "clip"

calibanman
01-14-2011, 6:45 PM
Darn I just impulse bought a box.

Izzy43
01-14-2011, 6:52 PM
Its been posted hunderds of times, Remington Golden Bullets are "crap". I wouldn't take it if it were given to me.

lmudave
01-14-2011, 6:56 PM
Yup... they are crap, and i have about 3,000 of em... Good for letting friends plink with i guess.

maxxlara
01-14-2011, 6:58 PM
Yeah, I did a search for them after the fact, I should checked here first...Anyone wanna buy some bullets??lol

Sunday
01-14-2011, 7:03 PM
Yep the Remmington sucks I went through 2 boxes from Walmarts last year.

Sunday
01-14-2011, 7:06 PM
Its been posted hunderds of times, Remington Golden Bullets are "crap". I wouldn't take it if it were given to me.
I'll take all of the Goldens people want to give me!! they are great for free .

resident-shooter
01-14-2011, 7:18 PM
Theire not crap. Neither argh theire trash. They are SНIТ yo. Given that they cost roughly the same as Winchester or me favorite Federal ammo.... I see no reason to waste money on them.

skunk2uned
01-14-2011, 8:39 PM
Ive bought remingtons from walmart. just to see how they would do... i purchased a small box of 50rds. My first magazine out at the range... i got 2 FTL's and 3 FTE! WTF! all in ONE Magazine of 10rds! I switched back to the Federal 550 bulk box and out of 550rds... i had 1 bad FTL. NEVER AGAIN will i buy Remington!

CalNRA
01-14-2011, 8:42 PM
the Gold bullet is just bad stuff.

Remington has some good 22 ammo, like the sub-sonic one, they had the old Peters(the ones that came in the cardboard cartons) and a few others. But the Gold bullet is just.....bad.

pennys dad
01-14-2011, 9:09 PM
I use the ammo in my NON Picky rifles and pistols. So here is the run down:

Stock Buckmark handles them fine
Enhanced Buckmark hates them
Marlin 795 spits out the bad ones
Colt Umerex 22 just hates them!
S&W 15-22 is fine with them
Ruger Mark III no issue
Not sure about model 60

racky
01-14-2011, 9:17 PM
remington golden turds are a no-no buy :no:

spicydeath82
01-14-2011, 9:41 PM
i had a box of them... crap! that means that 22 semi auto savage i had was fine... it was the bullets!!!! no!!!! and i only sold it for 30 bucks! oh well i bought it for 15... lol.

nick
01-14-2011, 9:56 PM
I have a crapload of them, as they're the cheapest ammo that works in AA Glock conversions. The accuracy is ok, and they feed reliably (Federal bulk doesn't, for example, not sure why). Of course, CCI Minimags are way better, but they also cost more.

These AA conversion kits are the only guns I've encountered that actually prefer GBs.

BayAreaShooter
01-15-2011, 12:15 AM
I am not a fan at all of the Remington Golden Bullet. They are very inconsistent and they leave golden flake crap all over my fingers.

CaliforniaLiberal
01-15-2011, 12:24 AM
Welcome to CalGuns Maxxlara!

I bought a box of Remington Golden Bullets about three years ago. They would not work reliably in my Ruger 22/45 MKIII Pistol. "Bang, BANG, thump, whoosh" is a perfect description. The box just sits there in my ammo stash; I've thought of just throwing them away in the trash.

What's the issue with CCI Stingers? Are they supposed to be too powerful for the 10/22?

Eat Dirt
01-15-2011, 12:29 AM
Dang .I just bought a lg. box from Wal-Mart

I should of read this first !!!

But I did get some CCI Mini mags / so maybe I'll break even

q3131a
01-15-2011, 6:52 AM
Golden Bullets are dicey. Quality control is absolutely terrible. When they work they're okay. My stash includes a few thousand :(

pilote
01-15-2011, 7:23 AM
same issues here...i threw the remaining 400+ into the pacific...

two friends who own tactical models will buy them (because it's usually the cheapest available) specifically to load and shoot "at nothing"; just for the rise of firing as much and as fast as possible...even they know when it really matters, they're buying cci products (or similar class) for their target and hunting firearms...

maxxlara
01-15-2011, 7:39 AM
Welcome to CalGuns Maxxlara!

I bought a box of Remington Golden Bullets about three years ago. They would not work reliably in my Ruger 22/45 MKIII Pistol. "Bang, BANG, thump, whoosh" is a perfect description. The box just sits there in my ammo stash; I've thought of just throwing them away in the trash.

What's the issue with CCI Stingers? Are they supposed to be too powerful for the 10/22?

Thanks for the welcome!!! Glad to be here. As far as the stingers I've used them in other rifles (bolt actions ) for years because of their faster travel. The 10/22 manual states dont use the in target rifles. I called up Ruger yesterday to confirm if the "Race Rifle" was considered a target rifle. The guy said it was and that it might not load stingers. I tried it my self and so far no problems.

hybridatsun350
01-15-2011, 10:21 AM
I don't understand everyones' problems with the Remington Golden Bullets. Maybe the newer stuff is poorer quality because I've got a couple 550 boxes that I bought a few years ago and it's no worse than any other .22 ammo I've ever used. In fact, I shot a few hundred rounds of it this last weekend and I think I had one dud. ONE! What is the issue here?

mindwip
01-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Yup... they are crap, and i have about 3,000 of em... Good for letting friends plink with i guess.

Me too! bought 5,000 and have had nothing but issues!

maxicon
01-15-2011, 10:44 AM
I don't understand everyones' problems with the Remington Golden Bullets. Maybe the newer stuff is poorer quality because I've got a couple 550 boxes that I bought a few years ago and it's no worse than any other .22 ammo I've ever used. In fact, I shot a few hundred rounds of it this last weekend and I think I had one dud. ONE! What is the issue here?

+1 - I've shot thousands of them over the years with few issues beyond the occasional dud that most .22 ammo has.

I keep a lot of stock on hand, and quit buying when the prices skyrocketed a few years ago, so maybe it's a newer cost-cutting problem.

maxxlara
01-15-2011, 10:54 AM
I dont know whats going on, I used them all the time 15-20 years ago, no problems, This new box I bought was really a shock.

donw
01-15-2011, 11:29 AM
i don't use them in semi-auto's. they seem to work OK in my single shot BA's though.

i think the single issue that causes most problems in the semi-autos is the cleanliness of the firearm. and the cleanliness in the area of the breech where the firing pin contacts the rim of the cartridge is most critical.

CaliforniaLiberal
01-15-2011, 11:36 AM
i don't use them in semi-auto's. they seem to work OK in my single shot BA's though.

i think the single issue that causes most problems in the semi-autos is the cleanliness of the firearm. and the cleanliness in the area of the breech where the firing pin contacts the rim of the cartridge is most critical.

And how might this explain the variety of the strength of various rounds? As the OP wrote, "Bang, BANG, thump, whoosh."

The Electrician
01-15-2011, 12:24 PM
So are the remington umc mega packs that come in 9mm, 40 &45 no good either or just the .22?

CaliforniaLiberal
01-15-2011, 12:36 PM
I've shot up a few of the 250 round 9mm Mega Packs and never noticed any problem.

longarmshortlegs
01-15-2011, 12:48 PM
I wonder if WalMart gets a deal on the ammo they purchase because the ammo may be "blemished", but not necessarily defective. I haven't had a problem with that ammunition, but it wasn't purchased at WalMart.

resident-shooter
01-15-2011, 9:33 PM
I wonder if WalMart gets a deal on the ammo they purchase because the ammo may be "blemished", but not necessarily defective. I haven't had a problem with that ammunition, but it wasn't purchased at WalMart.

I bought 1 box of 550 and 2 boxes of 100 rds each from Big 5 about a year ago when ammo was super scarce. It proved to be nothing but troubles. Also shot some of my friend's ammo, not sure where she got it from but her 1022 utterly hated this ammo. I simply do not understand the people who buy THOUSANDS of rounds without even first trying.... I mean I trust Federal, but even then I first tried just one box from Wally. It proved to be good so I went back and bought about 2000 rds..... :p

USMC VET
01-15-2011, 10:05 PM
I think its good to have a box when its the end of the month and your outta cash and you just wanna shoot sumthin.

NorCalDustin
01-15-2011, 10:05 PM
I bought 1 box of 550 and 2 boxes of 100 rds each from Big 5 about a year ago when ammo was super scarce. It proved to be nothing but troubles. Also shot some of my friend's ammo, not sure where she got it from but her 1022 utterly hated this ammo. I simply do not understand the people who buy THOUSANDS of rounds without even first trying.... I mean I trust Federal, but even then I first tried just one box from Wally. It proved to be good so I went back and bought about 2000 rds..... :p
I'll dispose of any extra Remington Golden Bullet's through my .22LR AR-15. :D

Grumpyoldretiredcop
01-15-2011, 11:24 PM
And I'll be happy to dispose any that NorCalDustin is pleased to leave me through my AA Glock conversion.

Since my AA conversion won't even chamber or fire Federal bulk, by the reasoning evidenced in this thread, I should be calling it "crap" and so forth. I don't, though. I just find .22s that like it and don't complain. :43:

unamused
01-16-2011, 2:56 PM
they work really well in my gsg... I dont hesitate to buy them if thats all their is, or they are the cheapest.

my gsg is for plinking, so all is well as long as it goes bang, and so far, they do.

jyo
01-16-2011, 5:55 PM
Well, I've said it before, Remington Golden Bullets used to be way good---10-15 years ago---they were some of the best, most reliable, accuate 22s you could buy---I shot thouands every year (under $10 a brick of 500)---lately, their QC has just fallen thru the floor! They just don't care! Their firearms have suffered too---just read all the complaints about 870 shotguns in the shotgun threads---again the older 870s were the gold standard for pump guns---truly sad for an American made product to fail so badly!

resident-shooter
01-17-2011, 1:16 AM
Their firearms have suffered too---just read all the complaints about 870 shotguns in the shotgun threads---truly sad for an American made product to fail so badly!

Agreed on both. I guess i should pick up a browning :)

mindwip
01-17-2011, 8:55 AM
I the reasonI bought a lot with out testing, growing up shooting my dads tube feed we never used any thing but rem bulk as fed jammed the rifle when I got my own tube fed years later I saw no reason to not buy a case. Well things change and not always for the better. I test ammo now!

resident-shooter
01-17-2011, 4:59 PM
^Good. Look into federal bulk ammos. itz geeewwwwwd

mindwip
01-17-2011, 9:25 PM
I have 25K ordered from cci/Blazer some of which i believe is made by federal or at least some of it.

m1a1driver
01-17-2011, 11:17 PM
I guess i'm lucky. My sig mosquito loves the golden bullets.