PDA

View Full Version : Colt Sporter Sear Block Removal

C123K_LoadMaster
08-14-2006, 5:53 PM
Can anyone suggest a machine shop in Northern, CA that has experience in removing the sear block from a Colt Sporter lower? How much should I expect to pay?

Thanks

ohsmily
08-14-2006, 5:54 PM
Um, I can't recommend a shop, but I am curious as to your motivation behind milling out the receiver to accept M16 fire control components? What possible legitimate interest is there? It certainly can't be for looks seeing as how this is an internal modification.

EDIT: I didn't realize the Colt had an extra block in addition to the extra material that is left in standard ar-15 lowers to prevent m16 fire control parts...

slickjoesd
08-14-2006, 5:55 PM
i think he wants to take the box out of the sporter, so he might ba able to slide the box into another rifle...

JPglee1
08-14-2006, 5:58 PM
Can anyone suggest a machine shop in Northern, CA that has experience in removing the sear block from a Colt Sporter lower? How much should I expect to pay?

Thanks

What do you need to remove a sear block for, besides dropping in a DIAS? Giselle trigger, maybe?

JP

C123K_LoadMaster
08-14-2006, 6:32 PM
The reason I want to remove the sear block is to install a Geissele trigger.

Why would anyone assume I was milling out the receiver to accept M16 fire control components? By removing the sear block all I will have accomplished is to make my lower the same as all the off list lowers everyone has been buying here lately. I'm sure everyone who is buying an off list lower is not doing so to install M16 fire control components.

blacklisted
08-14-2006, 6:34 PM

Why would anyone assume I was milling out the receiver to accept M16 fire control components? By removing the sear block all I will have accomplished is to make my lower the same as all the off list lowers everyone has been buying here lately. I'm sure everyone who is buying an off list lower is not doing so to install M16 fire control components.

He probably didn't know about the extra lengths Colt went through to bend over backwards for the antis. The sear block is BS and I would remove it even if I didn't have a reason. IIRC, there is a guide on arfcom somewhere that says how to remove it.

JPglee1
08-14-2006, 6:42 PM

YAh I figured it was a geissele after I thought about it...

It could also be for a lightning link or DIAS.

OR cuz yer a High Speed Low Drag type shaving every ounce possible for maximum efficiency :cool:

J

DRH
08-14-2006, 7:01 PM
Remember that if you lower is listed and an AW it must be sent out through an AW permitted FFL and if the gunsmith is in California they also must have an AW license unless you remain at the shop with the weapon. The DOJ can give you a list of available AW FFLs in your area.

C123K_LoadMaster
08-14-2006, 8:03 PM
Is this the guide you were referring to:

http://www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184

He probably didn't know about the extra lengths Colt went through to bend over backwards for the antis. The sear block is BS and I would remove it even if I didn't have a reason. IIRC, there is a guide on arfcom somewhere that says how to remove it.

C123K_LoadMaster
08-14-2006, 8:23 PM
Bigbore over at www.adcofirearms.com offered to remove the sear block for free if I purchased the Geissele trigger from him. Do you know what a CA FFL with a AW permit would charge to send and receive a stripped lower from an out of state FFL?

Remember that if you lower is listed and an AW it must be sent out through an AW permitted FFL and if the gunsmith is in California they also must have an AW license unless you remain at the shop with the weapon. The DOJ can give you a list of available AW FFLs in your area.

bwiese
08-14-2006, 9:03 PM
Yeah, the Chip McCormick triggers also require no sear block.

blacklisted
08-15-2006, 12:24 AM
Yes, that was the guide I was referring to. :D