PDA

View Full Version : CCW's issued at State vs. County level?

Purple K
01-14-2011, 5:08 PM
Would a State law enforcement agency (CHP, Park Service, DOJ, etc.) be allowed to issue CCW's to civilians? If not, what statute prohibits it? We could conceivably bypass the CoP's and Sheriffs all together.

Kharn
01-14-2011, 5:12 PM
The statute says sheriff.

wildhawker
01-14-2011, 5:30 PM
The relevant statute (PC 12050) expressly authorizes only "[t]he sheriff of a county" and "[t]he chief or other head of a municipal police department of any city or city and county to "issue... a license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person."

Librarian
01-14-2011, 5:36 PM
Sheriff only? CoP and/or Sheriff only?

Yes - those two office-holders only.

Purple K
01-14-2011, 5:42 PM
So much for THAT idea!

CSDGuy
01-14-2011, 5:47 PM
Yes. Statute authorizes ONLY those two specific offices. There are some Police Departments that are NOT associated with a municipality, their Chiefs may NOT issue CCW licenses. State agencies just aren't local City PD or County Sheriff types... ;)

dustoff31
01-14-2011, 6:04 PM
Have the right people given any thought to getting the statute changed?

There are a lot of advantages to taking it out of local hands and centralizing the process at the state level. Particularly if shall issue becomes a reality. Probably DOJ. Just a few of which are:

1. The state gets the revenues from the permits. Might be a good selling point considering the budget.

2. Fewer people or organizations to sue when/if necessary.

3. DOJ already does the background checks for purchases. Issuing CCWs would give them something worthwhile to do. CCW could also be used to skip the NICS check for future purchases.

4. No weird local restrictions on CCW.

wildhawker
01-14-2011, 6:09 PM
:whistling:

Librarian
01-14-2011, 6:32 PM
Have the right people given any thought to getting the statute changed?

There are a lot of advantages to taking it out of local hands and centralizing the process at the state level. Particularly if shall issue becomes a reality. Probably DOJ. Just a few of which are:

1. The state gets the revenues from the permits. Might be a good selling point considering the budget.

2. Fewer people or organizations to sue when/if necessary.

3. DOJ already does the background checks for purchases. Issuing CCWs would give them something worthwhile to do. CCW could also be used to skip the NICS check for future purchases.

4. No weird local restrictions on CCW.

Does sound sensible, doesn't it?

Think of CCW issued at your local DMV office. Imagine hundreds of evaluators at state-run indoor ranges - which, for financial reasons, really ought to be open longer than DMV hours, so the public can practice.

dustoff31
01-14-2011, 6:57 PM
Does sound sensible, doesn't it?

Think of CCW issued at your local DMV office. Imagine hundreds of evaluators at state-run indoor ranges - which, for financial reasons, really ought to be open longer than DMV hours, so the public can practice.

Welllll, I don't know about the DMV. But whatever works. I was thinking more along the lines of AZ and many other states.

Fulfill the training requirements, get fingerprinted, fill out application, mail them to CCW place w/fees. CCW arrives in the mail not too long thereafter.

hk91666
01-14-2011, 9:41 PM
Welllll, I don't know about the DMV. But whatever works. I was thinking more along the lines of AZ and many other states.

Fulfill the training requirements, get fingerprinted, fill out application, mail them to CCW place w/fees. CCW arrives in the mail not too long thereafter.

Florida you apply to the Dept of State either 75-95 dollars (i've been gone 11 years), If we could get a shall issue state in California think of the money it would generate for the general fund?

Window_Seat
01-14-2011, 9:53 PM
They could get the DOJ-BOF to do the issuing, and that would solve the entire issue, could it not? All it would take for issuance is :p :twoweeks: :p

Erik.

wildhawker
01-14-2011, 10:01 PM
Ideally, we don't want the fox guarding the henhouse, although 1 fox is easier to manage than 58 (+ 400 or so badgers...)

They could get the DOJ-BOF to do the issuing, and that would solve the entire issue, could it not? All it would take for issuance is :p :twoweeks: :p

Erik.

MP301
01-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Florida you apply to the Dept of State either 75-95 dollars (i've been gone 11 years), If we could get a shall issue state in California think of the money it would generate for the general fund?

I got my FL non-res a few years ago and it was issued by the Dept of Agriculture...

Window_Seat
01-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Ideally, we don't want the fox guarding the henhouse, although 1 fox is easier to manage than 58 (+ 400 or so badgers...)

^^ Yes ^^

And KH being the lady fox (a good looking one for sure), but a very hungry one as well. Looks can be very deceiving. Wasn't it said that Satan was a beautiful Angel at one time? :D

Erik; maybe in trouble. ;)

Gray Peterson
01-15-2011, 3:30 AM

Or a snake!!!!!!

Crom
01-15-2011, 6:46 AM
It would be nice to have an administrative agency handling the licenses instead of a law enforcement agency, such as Florida's dept of consumer affairs and agriculture, licensing division.

hk91666
01-15-2011, 6:59 AM
It would be nice to have an administrative agency handling the licenses instead of a law enforcement agency, such as Florida's dept of consumer affairs and agriculture, licensing division.

++1

hk91666
01-15-2011, 7:02 AM
I got my FL non-res a few years ago and it was issued by the Dept of Agriculture...

Thanks for correction when I was there i remember Dept of State for the check or something. It's been a while.

The Shadow
01-15-2011, 9:47 AM
Just a thought, but what if CCW applications were at gun and sporting goods stores ? Fill it out there, they ship it off to California Department of Fish and Game and complete the process that way. The infrastructure is already in place, it's just a matter of organizing and implementing it.

wildhawker
01-15-2011, 10:02 AM
DFG doesn't do background checks. BSIS on the other hand...

The Shadow
01-15-2011, 10:04 AM

Good point.

1lostinspace
01-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Can someone PM me where I can apply for one?

Librarian
01-15-2011, 10:18 AM
Can someone PM me where I can apply for one?

CCW? Find the right thread for your county in the CCW Information Forum - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=116

N6ATF
01-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Or a snake!!!!!!

Badgers, snakes... what about the mushrooms?

i2G0Llp5-8U

Kharn
01-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Just a thought, but what if CCW applications were at gun and sporting goods stores ? Fill it out there, they ship it off to California Department of Fish and Game and complete the process that way. The infrastructure is already in place, it's just a matter of organizing and implementing it.Or the DMV.
But given the driver's license fiasco currently ongoing, maybe not... :p

wildhawker
01-15-2011, 1:11 PM
Motor Voter, Armed Automobilier...

Andy Taylor
01-15-2011, 1:42 PM

Exactly. It could be handled just like the Exposed Firearm Permit issued to Private Security Officers. Take the class, send in the paperwok and fees- get your permit in the mail.

N6ATF
01-15-2011, 2:16 PM
At excessive cost, and with a pathetic course of fire for qualification. BSIS should be dissolved as it is in the business of collecting fees to not actually ensure permittees are professional and ethical, nor abide by the PSIS Act regs.

yellowfin
01-15-2011, 2:29 PM
Just don't end up with Maryland's problem.

CCWFacts
01-15-2011, 3:07 PM
I hope it does get moved to the DoJ at some point. Local potentates shouldn't have any involvement in it. It's a distraction from their real jobs (fighting crime) and it's none of their business and it will be more efficient and accountable to do it centrally.

But right now it's only done by sheriffs or police chiefs.

wildhawker
01-15-2011, 4:30 PM
That is, until the headaches (*ahem*) and non-recoverable costs plus demand (e.g. post shall-issue) make it politically tenable for CSSA, CPCA et al...

Kharn
01-15-2011, 4:36 PM
Just don't end up with Maryland's problem.But it will only take one Gura victory for all of MD's permitting problems to be fixed.

Fjold
01-15-2011, 5:25 PM
With the current political make up of our state, I think that the State standards would be more like the LA or SF standards than the Sacramento/Kern standards.