PDA

View Full Version : "Need to Know" Tonight on KQED, documentary about gun control

Window_Seat
01-14-2011, 5:06 PM
This is not a "repeat" of any past "shows" on Channel 9 (in the Bay Area). It'll likely be of the typical flavor of "the need for stricter gun control laws in the wake of the AZ Tragedy, blah blah...", and even if it is, we need to watch it. OTOH, the last time there was a PBS program on GC, Kilmer was present, and that was a big help.

Tonight at 10:00 on PBS/KQED (http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know/uncategorized/need-to-know-january-14-2011-gun-control-haiti-and-high-speed-rail/6292/)

Erik.

Anchors
01-14-2011, 5:09 PM
Anyone know which channel this is in Orange County on Time Warner?

Beatone
01-14-2011, 5:19 PM
(QUOTE) In an essay, co-host Jon Meacham, a gun owner, takes legislators of both parties to task for their reluctance to ban assault weapons. (QUOTE)

Wonderful. Gun owner wants to ban assault rifles.

B Strong
01-14-2011, 5:30 PM
(QUOTE) In an essay, co-host Jon Meacham, a gun owner, takes legislators of both parties to task for their reluctance to ban assault weapons. (QUOTE)

Quisling.

Anchors
01-14-2011, 5:34 PM

Assault weapons is in the quote.
There is a difference.
Assault rifles are already heavily regulated at the Federal level.

I seriously wish I could take every anti-gun politician out to the shooting range and let them have at it with my AR or AK and then let them shoot my Mosin so that they realize that the AR/AK are only more powerful in appearance.

Everytime I've taken someone who was against guns or at least skeptical/scared of them to shoot they left loving guns and being against gun control.

Do your part fellow calgunners, instead of telling someone they're stupid offer to take them to shoot in a completely safe and controlled environment so that they understand what they are against if nothing else.

Librarian
01-14-2011, 5:39 PM
Meacham's wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Meacham

Nothing there leads me to expect a pro-gun or neutral report.

OTOH, this is a bit more encouraging: z8ExKZOcKek

Might as well watch and see...

elSquid
01-14-2011, 5:48 PM

It's predictable that the "gun owner" tag is invariably used just before said media person advocates further restrictions.

From now on, in conversations with non-gun owners, I'm going to do the same but in reverse.

"You know folks, I'm a big advocate for gun control[1], but I think that AW bans and magazine restrictions have little bearing on crime. In fact, I'd like to take legislators of both parties to task for not pushing through CCW reciprocity at the federal level. "

Heck, if I'm a gun control _proponent_, then folks should really pay attention when I suggest that further restrictions wouldn't work, right?

-- Michael

[1] The mentally incompetent and violent felons shouldn't be allowed access to firearms. I think that's reasonable gun control. [2]

[2] Oh sure, Brady wants more. But those guys are extremists! :D

uyoga
01-14-2011, 5:58 PM
Here's the segment, slightly over 8 minutes long. Not too biased.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know/video/video-guns-battle-attitudes-about-firearms-after-the-arizona-tragedy/6428/

Nor-Cal
01-14-2011, 6:13 PM
I'm gona have to watch it, see what exactly they talk about!

Librarian
01-14-2011, 6:26 PM
Here's the segment, slightly over 8 minutes long. Not too biased.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know/video/video-guns-battle-attitudes-about-firearms-after-the-arizona-tragedy/6428/

Actually, seems quite neutral to me. The pro-side seems to get more time.

I confess I am surprised - and pleased.

jpigeon
01-14-2011, 7:02 PM
Gun control is essential for a healthy dictatorship...

Window_Seat
01-14-2011, 8:37 PM
Gun control is essential for a healthy dictatorship...

^^ Another one worthy of a sig line...

Erik.

Stonewalker
01-14-2011, 8:46 PM
Actually, seems quite neutral to me. The pro-side seems to get more time.

I confess I am surprised - and pleased.

It was balanced. I really appreciated the narrator's tone. Very neutral. No undertone visceral language or loaded words/questions. Very rare to see this... I'm extremely pleased with KQED and PBS.

Stonewalker
01-14-2011, 8:47 PM
He even got the 'gun show loophole' right. Nice.

safewaysecurity
01-14-2011, 9:05 PM
Watching it right now

Beatone
01-14-2011, 9:18 PM
Ban those clips, etc. :rolleyes:

Librarian
01-14-2011, 9:19 PM
It was balanced. I really appreciated the narrator's tone. Very neutral. No undertone visceral language or loaded words/questions. Very rare to see this... I'm extremely pleased with KQED and PBS.

Ah! a 'grass roots moment'! Let us drop them an email or other comment admiring their program this evening.

jamesob
01-14-2011, 9:22 PM
i have been drinking a little tonite but assault weapons are regulated at the federal level?
Assault weapons is in the quote.
There is a difference.
Assault rifles are already heavily regulated at the Federal level.

I seriously wish I could take every anti-gun politician out to the shooting range and let them have at it with my AR or AK and then let them shoot my Mosin so that they realize that the AR/AK are only more powerful in appearance.

Everytime I've taken someone who was against guns or at least skeptical/scared of them to shoot they left loving guns and being against gun control.

Do your part fellow calgunners, instead of telling someone they're stupid offer to take them to shoot in a completely safe and controlled environment so that they understand what they are against if nothing else.

pitchbaby
01-14-2011, 9:27 PM
Just watched the introspective portion of this documentary show. The guy, John Meecham, or however you spell it... seems to really believe what he preaches and I respect that just fine. Having said that, it's sad that they don't seem to get it on his show. I was at the very least glad to see that the 2A supporters were not made out to be wacko's.

Sure, he say's that 30+ round mags are nothing more than instruments of death... I am sure you could argue that all day if you deny the existence of a Glock 18 and the fact that a full auto handgun is just plain fun to play with. He even acknowledges that the Arizona shooter could have gotten his gun and magazine outside of the law... yet he still thinks tighter gun control would make some sort of a difference?!?!?

Like I said, I can respect that he really believes what he really believes.... that doesn't mean he's right... poor guy... just can't seem to get it.

model63
01-14-2011, 9:42 PM

I haven't heard nor would I have ever thought I'd hear that on a gun board... but I wholeheartedly agree...

pitchbaby
01-14-2011, 11:34 PM

Ya, I may not like that they have a bias against... but I agree, there was a very civil discussion about why he wanted gun control. It would have been nice though to see a politician interviewed from the other end of the spectrum from the guy in Chicago.

M198
01-14-2011, 11:52 PM
i have been drinking a little tonite but assault weapons are regulated at the federal level?

Assault rifles are select fire or full-auto fire-arms. For instance, m16A2 has safe, semi-auto, 3-round burst. MP5s have safe, semi, and full auto. An AR-15 is just a semi-automatic rifle like an m14 or a m1. Assault weapons are whatever some politician happens to not like at that moment. Pretty soon my 1911 will be an assault weapon.

lomalinda
01-15-2011, 8:26 AM
"A contributing editor of The Washington Monthly, Meacham is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations..."

All you need to know.

Skidmark
01-15-2011, 8:28 AM
This is not a "repeat" of any past "shows" on Channel 9 (in the Bay Area). It'll likely be of the typical flavor of "the need for stricter gun control laws in the wake of the AZ Tragedy, blah blah...", and even if it is, we need to watch it. OTOH, the last time there was a PBS program on GC, Kilmer was present, and that was a big help.

Tonight at 10:00 on PBS/KQED (http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know/uncategorized/need-to-know-january-14-2011-gun-control-haiti-and-high-speed-rail/6292/)

Erik.

It turned out quite balanced, didn't it? Not at all like you painted it to be before you had seen it... :rolleyes:

And yes, the previous PBS piece (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=338494), on MacNeil/Lehrer, was equally balanced and informative. Perhaps it's time to retire the haggard meme that PBS is incapable of presenting any but one side of an issue, specifically of 2A and RKBA issues.

lomalinda
01-15-2011, 9:02 AM
Meacham argued against "hi-cap" mags and then brought on someone from Chicago to support his claims that they're not acceptable for the common person to have. Hardly a well-balanced show.

Pred@tor
01-15-2011, 9:25 AM
Whats "common sense gun control?" Everytime I hear that its usually idiotic gun banners talking about stopping private capitalistic sales or some something dumb like that.

Stonewalker
01-15-2011, 9:48 AM
Meacham argued against "hi-cap" mags and then brought on someone from Chicago to support his claims that they're not acceptable for the common person to have. Hardly a well-balanced show.

Unfortunately I don't think we can expect to have any media bit done that is completely balanced right now. We've had decades of demonization of the gun owner so when I watch these kinds of clips and I don't see demonization, I call that a win. First our country needs to realize that the Bill of Rights is not a right or left thing, then we can start to see normalization of guns and less ZOMG SCARY stuff.

Whats "common sense gun control?" Everytime I hear that its usually idiotic gun banners talking about stopping private capitalistic sales or some something dumb like that.

This is what I'm talking about. I don't think we will stop hearing 'common sense gun control' for a very very long time, if ever. But that's not the goal right now. First, with Heller and McDonald in tow, we need to reintroduce this country to the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

NoahTall
01-16-2011, 6:36 AM
It's predictable that the "gun owner" tag is invariably used just before said media person advocates further restrictions.

From now on, in conversations with non-gun owners, I'm going to do the same but in reverse.

"You know folks, I'm a big advocate for gun control[1], but I think that AW bans and magazine restrictions have little bearing on crime. In fact, I'd like to take legislators of both parties to task for not pushing through CCW reciprocity at the federal level. "

Heck, if I'm a gun control _proponent_, then folks should really pay attention when I suggest that further restrictions wouldn't work, right?

Brilliant!!

That should have been obvious, but sure wasn't to me. I love it!!