PDA

View Full Version : Another National Forest hunting restriction.

Wrangler John
01-14-2011, 4:41 PM
Just today I received the draft of the Milpitas SIA plan here: 81895 See page 7.

I'm working against another closure in the Los Padres NF west of King City. The Milpitas area, near the Indians Ranch has been designated as a Special Interest Area, due to the historical and modern use by Salinian tribes. The current management plan calls for permanent elimination of all target shooting, which had been banned for several years now, and consideration of limiting all hunting to the big game season only. That would seriously impact varmint hunting which is best March-June and September through November due to heat, although legally open all year. The plan calls for closing and removing roads which would seriously impact hunting, hiking and handicapped access. This area has one of the heaviest ground squirrel populations in California.

The main thrust of the SIA plan is to manage the land as an Indian sacred, archaeological and cultural site. Nothing wrong with that, I fully support the concept, but limiting varmint hunting access is excessive.

There is a meeting scheduled for Tuesday, February 15, 2011 at the King City Ranger Station, 406 S. Mildred Avenue, King City, CA 93930 starting at 6:00 pm.

Also you can respond in any format by email or U.S. mail to:

Bob Strickland
North Zone Archaeologist
Monterey and Santa Lucia Districts
Los Padres National Forest
(831) 385-5434 ext. 220
Cell: (831) 241-1024
Fax: (831) 385-0628

RNSTRICKLAND@fs.fed.us

JimWest
01-14-2011, 5:36 PM
Wrangler John,

I'm not sure if this will be of help but you might want to contact Mr. Horgan at http://stewardsofthesequoia.org/ to get some help or insight into how to tackle this issue. They are very good at getting results.

The Geologist
01-14-2011, 6:22 PM
Just wondering if this part of the Condor no lead bullet Area

Wrangler John
01-14-2011, 6:34 PM
Just wondering if this part of the Condor no lead bullet Area

Yes, I have been using Barnes and Nosler lead free bullets since the law went into effect.

The Geologist
01-14-2011, 6:37 PM
Thanks

chris
01-14-2011, 7:09 PM
Yes, I have been using Barnes and Nosler lead free bullets since the law went into effect.

how are the Noslers?

Wrangler John
01-15-2011, 6:35 PM
how are the Noslers?

Using the .224 Nosler 35 grain Tipped in the .223 Remington with 21.0 and 21.5 of Rl-10x will go around .5" to .75" for 10 shots at 100 yards. I am still working up loads with IMR 8208.

There are some loads with Benchmark that equal this.

I just received a shipment of Nosler 40 grain LF .224 Tipped that I will test on Monday next.

So far the Noslers are adequate, but the Barnes VG's beat them in all calibers for smallest groups, but are finicky about seating depth. Also twist rates have to be faster. The 62 Grain V.G. in .243 WSSM completely vaporizes Oregon sage rats while shooting in the 2's and 3's (1:8").