PDA

View Full Version : Big5 rifles ?

rick_in_lb
08-14-2006, 5:02 PM
This might be a dump question to some and I really should know this but...
Is there a 10 day wait for the "Collectible "rifles that Big5 sells. I think there is, but not sure. Just trying to find an extra rifle to shoot on Wednesday.
Thanks!

grammaton76
08-14-2006, 5:06 PM
Yep, there's a wait. However there's no wait on over-50-year-old rifle sales from person to person.

Or black powder / other antique firearms.

There's also something very like a K31 that's got no waiting period because it's pre-1899 but I can't remember what exactly it is.

NRAhighpowershooter
Yes there is a 10day wait.. unless you have a C&R and IF they know what it is......

bahazero
Yes you need to wait the 10 days. The only way to waive the 10 days is to have a C&R license as well have a COE (Certificate of Eligiblity).

rick_in_lb
08-14-2006, 5:15 PM
Thanks I thought so, now I have to find someone to sell me one F2F tomorrow! Cheap is good as long as it fires, any takers!;)

TonyNorCal
08-14-2006, 5:20 PM
As said above, 10 day wait from a dealer unless...

You have a C&R and a Certificate of Eligbility (issued by the state) = cash and carry. This doesn't necessarily mean they'll know this at Big 5 though lol.

I had quite an adventure trying to cash and carry (involved them calling their district manager and a lot of time). I was the first person to have done it with the employees there though. Anyway, the female manager was very nice and cool about the whole thing and even pulled all the guns out of the back for me to look at. The door to their storage area was by the shoe department, not anywhere near the gun counter. She and I had the rifles laying on the floor right there in shoes as we pulled them from the boxes. It was pretty funny actually. I'd imagine the soccer moms in the store were freaking out.

The exemption is noted in their corporate binder on how to sell a firearm (which they refer to at the gun counter when doing a sale). I had my local manager make a copy of the page for me. Bottom line is, if I were doing it I'd call ahead and talk to a manager and get it all worked out beforehand. But as said, it's in their regs, so if someone says no they just don't know and take it up the chain.

wuhungsix
08-14-2006, 9:36 PM
Since there is a 10 day wait on C&R rifles at Big 5, I am assuming the "DROS fee" applies too?

blkA4alb
08-14-2006, 9:39 PM
Since there is a 10 day wait on C&R rifles at Big 5, I am assuming the "DROS fee" applies too?
Yes, you are buying a gun. The DROS fee pays for the background check IIRC. I'm sure one of the FFLs would have a better answer than me :o .

wuhungsix
08-15-2006, 1:53 AM
Dang it! Dumb question I guess. Anything that involves the DOJ will cost you $$. I will just buy another CMP garand. :D

five.five-six
08-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Yep, there's a wait. However there's no wait on over-50-year-old rifle sales from person to person.

Or black powder / other antique firearms.

There's also something very like a K31 that's got no waiting period because it's pre-1899 but I can't remember what exactly it is.

through what hoops must one jump to do a p-2-p transfer on a 50+ year old rifle?

Mssr. Eleganté
08-16-2006, 12:03 PM
through what hoops must one jump to do a p-2-p transfer on a 50+ year old rifle?

There are three hoops you must jump through.

1. Find long gun that is over 50 years old and is for sale from a non-Dealer in California.

2. Pay for the long gun.

3. Take the long gun home.

five.five-six
08-16-2006, 12:10 PM
ok I have a friend who kept the garand he carried on the normandy beach head on D-day so the rifle is over 50 years old. he has some interest in selling it to me, unortunatly he lives in nevada... what can I do

EOD Guy
08-16-2006, 12:23 PM

Hand the person the money, they hand you the rifle.

Mssr. Eleganté
08-16-2006, 12:42 PM
ok I have a friend who kept the garand he carried on the normandy beach head on D-day so the rifle is over 50 years old. he has some interest in selling it to me, unortunatly he lives in nevada... what can I do

First, call the Dept of Defense to report the theft of Army property. They might give you a $500 reward for turning in your friend and then you can buy a Garand from the Civilian Marksmanship Program. :D

But seriously, transfers of firearms between unlicensed residents of two different states are regulated under Federal law. So the transfer of your friend's "D-Day" M1 Rifle would have to be processed through an FFL Dealer in either Nevada or California. You can go to Nevada and do the transfer through a Dealer there. They will charge a fee, and finding a Dealer in Nevada who will transfer a firearm to a Californian can be hard. Or your friend can bring or ship the rifle to a Dealer close to you in California to do the transfer.

five.five-six
08-16-2006, 1:07 PM
I am not all that shure I want it. it has a few problems

first of all it was built by some tractor / farm equiptment company

seccondly it is prety beat up the stock is scrached up but at least it is not cracked but it has the stamps all over it that I will need to sand down and re finish

thirdly, the barrel shows some ware it could not be any beter than 90% so it will need to be replaced or refinished

lastly it has never been back to the armorer so all the parts are original, I am sure many are warn and will need to be replaced.

the one good point is that the bolt and reciever ser numbers match so i think it may be worth somthing.. i am just not sure I wan to go through all the trouble getting it back up to snuff as he is certan he has shot 2-3k rounds through it

thanks or all the help

stevie
08-16-2006, 1:16 PM
Since you have so much trouble with the rifle. He can ship it to my C&R..:rolleyes: Sarcasm included

Rogerbutthead
08-16-2006, 2:37 PM
If we thought you were serious about ruining an all-matching International Harvester, we would rhetorically beat you to death.

However since only Winchester and Springfield made M1 Garands during WWII, I am more interested in the time machine your friend used to bring his Korean War era rifle to the Normandy beach head. :p

five.five-six
08-16-2006, 3:06 PM
he is in his 80's he knows I like guns so I thought I would help him out and offer him a few hunded bucks for it. he is a nice guy so I will probably give him $400 for it. the guy was a mechanic on a higgens boat. apperantly each boat had a mechanic to get it running again if it got hit. he broght back a whole lot of stuff. anyways I think you are right it is international harvester. It is going to take a lot of work and money to get it back to "like new" condition, I may just oil it an leave it the way it is I just have to many projects to start another one

***** edit **** you are right the havster on he had in korea, I guess he has 2 of them I just got off the phone with him. like I said he lives in vegas and i saw it about a year ago.. it looked prety beat up to me. his d day garand is a springield.. he is geting old and hard to understand. I am going out there this weekend to see if I even want either one as i will be out ther on business anyways