PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Fishing License

Ahhnother8
01-14-2011, 4:27 PM
Just bought my 2011 fishing license. The license printout is a little over 7 feet long. The idiots that work for this state never cease to disappoint.

chickenfried
01-14-2011, 4:29 PM
:confused: I've seen people say this but i got my fishing license yesterday with a two rod "stamp" including receipt it was about 6" long?

21SF
01-14-2011, 4:50 PM
:confused: I've seen people say this but i got my fishing license yesterday with a two rod "stamp" including receipt it was about 6" long?

Ditto, 4-6 inches

ilikeguns
01-14-2011, 11:35 PM
got mine with 2 rod stamp as well. Its different this year, but not a bad thing. Its got a barcode and I guess its all digitally recognizable or something.

lewdogg21
01-15-2011, 7:18 AM
Just bought my 2011 fishing license. The license printout is a little over 7 feet long. The idiots that work for this state never cease to disappoint.

Maybe you got the GPS tracker version sorta like when you get the special code on your airline ticket to where your automatically pulled out and given extra searching. Don't worry, you will just have wardens in your bushes outside your house for the next year. :p

tenpercentfirearms
01-15-2011, 8:05 AM
I have sold more fishing licenses this year than I have in 5 years. Why? I have the automated system. If it were not for the automated system, I wouldn't even bother with them.

So having a seven foot long license is better than having no license in my opinion.

brassballs
01-15-2011, 8:08 AM
Have not got mine yet, whats the cost w/2 rod stamp?

chickenfried
01-15-2011, 8:53 AM
~$57 :eek:
bellyache here
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=381410

vhram
01-15-2011, 9:28 AM
I believe the larger tags are the salmon , steelhead cards and norcal stuff.

swordknives
01-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Why did they get rid of the card? oh well it is CA

Ahhnother8
01-16-2011, 9:32 AM
I believe the larger tags are the salmon , steelhead cards and norcal stuff.

7 foot = license, 2 rod "stamp", salmon punchcard, steelhead punchcard. Not certain, but I think the total was $70

I did not purchase sturgeon tags, abalone tags, or the ocean enhancement "stamp" - I have heard that these add at least 3 more feet.

I'm going to wear my license like a bandoleer. Maybe the ladies will wear theirs like a beauty pageant sash.

Maybe you got the GPS tracker version sorta like when you get the special code on your airline ticket to where your automatically pulled out and given extra searching. Don't worry, you will just have wardens in your bushes outside your house for the next year. :p

I was hoping to avoid going through that again!! :(

HechoEnEastLos
01-16-2011, 10:21 AM
So if I wanted to fish a public lake, one rod, nothing special, how much would I be looking at? Is it extra if I catch a buzz instead of a fish? LOL

Clee
01-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Why did they get rid of the card? oh well it is CA

Many states have print outs its not just us. I found out about the printouts last month when I wanted to add duck stamps to my hunting license. I was pissed that I will no longer getting stamps, I usually keep my licenses with stamps for the wildlife art. I like to see how they change every year. I remember not long ago there was an upland stamp with a German wirehaired pointer, I thought that was cool as my dog is such and its not that popular in CA.

For those who are complaining about a 7 ft print out, imagine if you don't add all your stamps at once. You buy your fishing license for fishing some lake. Later on the year you decide you want to go salt water fishing...then later on the year you want to go salmon fishing...etc. How many damn reciepts are you going to be carrying? Imagine the GW going through an S-load receipts before he finds what his looking for.

Spyder
01-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Many states have print outs its not just us. I found out about the printouts last month when I wanted to add duck stamps to my hunting license. I was pissed that I will no longer getting stamps, I usually keep my licenses with stamps for the wildlife art.

You didn't read much about it.
You'll still get a hardcopy duck stamp in the mail. DFG kept that part of the system going, for those who DO collect the stamps for art.

Ahhnother8
01-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Also wondering what the new hunting licenses will be like.

License
Federal duck stamp
State duck stamp
Upland game stamp
First deer tag
Second deer tag
Pig tags
Elk tag
Antelope tag
Sheep tag
etc...

Why yes, I am feeling lucky this year!! :D

Clee
01-16-2011, 1:21 PM
You didn't read much about it.
You'll still get a hardcopy duck stamp in the mail. DFG kept that part of the system going, for those who DO collect the stamps for art.

Yeah you can still get the stamp. But I'm not a collector, my point I was trying to make was I like to keep them. So I don't want to go through the trouble of getting them through the mail. Also rather than having my license and stamps all in one, I have my hunting license and a print out for the stamp. Even though I just keep them in my wallet all the time, I can see knowing my luck, one day losing one or having one fall out of my wallet or something and then the GW asking for them.

Ryan C
01-16-2011, 4:13 PM
as of last year u dont need to wear your license anymore it just has to be on you like in your wallet or tackle box.

Spyder
01-16-2011, 6:40 PM
Yeah you can still get the stamp. But I'm not a collector, my point I was trying to make was I like to keep them. So I don't want to go through the trouble of getting them through the mail. Also rather than having my license and stamps all in one, I have my hunting license and a print out for the stamp. Even though I just keep them in my wallet all the time, I can see knowing my luck, one day losing one or having one fall out of my wallet or something and then the GW asking for them.

And you don't think that having all of that information in the state computer system so it can be replaced is better than the old way of, if you lose the stamp, you have to pay full price for a new one?

Cokebottle
01-16-2011, 6:45 PM
7 foot = license, 2 rod "stamp", salmon punchcard, steelhead punchcard. Not certain, but I think the total was $70
Be happy you don't have a "lobster report card" like scuba divers do.

It's used only for tracking.... daily limits are unchanged and there's no season total or "per bug tag", so theoretically, if you can eat 7 lobster per day, you can take 7 per day, you just have to turn in the card at the end of the season.

RonE
01-16-2011, 6:49 PM
I don't want to make you cry and keep in mind that I am over 65 this year but my Texas "super combo" license is all saltwater, all freshwater, upland game birds, migratory game birds plus 4 turkey tags in counties that have a 4 turkey limit. Also included in the license is 5 white tail and 2 mule deer tags and a sandhill crane endorsement. Oh and an oversize redfish tag. All for $49.00 and this includes the federal duck stamp. Last year it was $74.00

There is however very little public access hunting land in Texas, some but not very much. California is fortunate to have so much public access land.

RonE
01-16-2011, 6:52 PM
Be happy you don't have a "lobster report card" like scuba divers do.

It's used only for tracking.... daily limits are unchanged and there's no season total or "per bug tag", so theoretically, if you can eat 7 lobster per day, you can take 7 per day, you just have to turn in the card at the end of the season.

And what do you think the lobster report card is for?

Do you remember the Abalone report card? Then the abalone report card with a limit of 100, then further and further reduced limits down to only 3 per day and season limits of 24 (at least when I left, has it gotten worse?)

Cokebottle
01-16-2011, 6:59 PM
And what do you think the lobster report card is for?

Do you remember the Abalone report card? Then the abalone report card with a limit of 100, then further and further reduced limits down to only 3 per day and season limits of 24 (at least when I left, has it gotten worse?)
Of course it is.

And after a combination of blackfoot and Chinese poachers, abalone were completely protected.

They are now open for take only by freedivers, no scuba, and only north of... I don't remember exactly where, either Pt.Conception or further north. I don't freedive, so it doesn't matter to me. They're off limits.

Clee
01-16-2011, 9:03 PM
And you don't think that having all of that information in the state computer system so it can be replaced is better than the old way of, if you lose the stamp, you have to pay full price for a new one?

Yes your right but I think I'm not getting my point across. If I lose this years years hunting license I'll notice that I'm missing my pink (or whatever color)license with all the stamps. Yes I'm SOL on money but I know just by quickily glancing in my wallet my license is gone. Whereas if my wallet is filled with reciepts, I have to go through each one to make sure I'll be ok if I get stopped by the GW. Its just quicker to see apiece of colored paper and know I'm AOK. Also I'll never accidently throw away the old license whereas the new printouts I could carelessly think its a worthless receipt and throw it away on accident. Besides with all those printouts your wallet ends up looking like George Castanza's wallet.
http://vidiocracy.tv/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/george-costanza-wallet1.jpg

Spyder
01-17-2011, 8:03 AM
Haha, that IS about what my wallet looks like now, and I don't even have my hunting stuff on the new paper yet!
I figure that within a year, you'll recognize that paper as not a worthless receipt and you'll hang on to it. I'm still trying to think of a way to keep all my crap together without it taking up so much space.

I went in with a pair of scissors and cut out all the unnecessary stuff. Instructions for the abalone, steelhead and sturgeon cards, the extra inch here and half inch there. I think I cut off nearly half of the total length of all of my junk (licenses, people, get your minds out of the gutter!) by going in and looking to see what was reall needed and what I could get rid of.

Spyder
01-17-2011, 8:07 AM
Of course it is.

And after a combination of blackfoot and Chinese poachers, abalone were completely protected.

They are now open for take only by freedivers, no scuba, and only north of... I don't remember exactly where, either Pt.Conception or further north. I don't freedive, so it doesn't matter to me. They're off limits.

Yea, current abalone is, I believe, "north of a line drawn due west from the center of the SF bay" or some craziness like that. 3 per day, 3 in possession, 24 a year. I like diving, only done it twice, but I sure ain't very good at it. Looking forward to actually living near the coast now that I've moved and getting more time to practice.

And I've seen just as many white folks poaching abalone as asians so it sure ain't a race-specific crime...

Cokebottle
01-17-2011, 11:54 AM
And I've seen just as many white folks poaching abalone as asians so it sure ain't a race-specific crime...
I was talking about commercial poaching operations... not the solo diver poaching a couple for personal consumption.

The markets in Garden Grove, Monterey Park, and other heavily Asian cities still have a ton of abs in their fresh fish department. Not sure where they're getting them.

chris
01-17-2011, 2:26 PM
why bother buying a fishing license after see the article in this thread.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=385301

this state never ceases to show how stupid it really is.

Spyder
01-17-2011, 6:59 PM
I was talking about commercial poaching operations... not the solo diver poaching a couple for personal consumption.

The markets in Garden Grove, Monterey Park, and other heavily Asian cities still have a ton of abs in their fresh fish department. Not sure where they're getting them.

Pretty sure DFG just, a year and a half or so ago if I remember the news right, found two white guys that had a trailer with over FIVE HUNDRED abalone in it that they were driving south from Mendo county for commercialization. The news said it was thought that they had done it many more times than the one time they were caught.

There's actually some giant abalone farms out in some ridiculously unlikely place like Nevada or New Mexico or some crazy desert state like that.

I'm not saying that asians DON'T poach them for profit, but the white dudes do it just as much.

Rusty_Buckhorn
01-18-2011, 9:11 AM
How is 10 different pieces of bulky thick paper easier than one piece? Maybe I'm missing something. If you like so many pieces of paper, just buy each separately, easy as that.
CA is one of the last states to change over to this, and IMHO, it was a great move.

blackberg
01-18-2011, 10:58 AM
ive said in all the other forums i belong too where this come up,
since you dont have to wear it anymore, just leave it your tackle box and forget about it, just know where its at in case you get asked for it.
-bb