PDA

View Full Version : scope needed for a savage arms 22 mag rifle

spicydeath82
01-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Hi, my dad gave me my grandfather's savage arms bolt action 22 mag rifle and i'm trying to decide what's a good scope to get for it. i currently have an el cheapo scope purchased from wall mart. it works but it's not what i'm looking for.
as a side note where would be a good place to get extra magazines for it? and by california law whats the biggest clip i can own?
sorry for all the questions but i figured it's better then a bunch of separate posts. and it's the only way to learn.

pennys dad
01-14-2011, 12:12 PM
What kind of scope mount point does the Savage have? Is it tapped or does it have tip off rails?
Whats your price range for the scope?
I dont think any Cal Law will apply for your mag choices, I suspect 10 will be the max based on the age of the rifle.

Izzy43
01-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Hi, my dad gave me my grandfather's savage arms bolt action 22 mag rifle and i'm trying to decide what's a good scope to get for it. i currently have an el cheapo scope purchased from wall mart. it works but it's not what i'm looking for.
as a side note where would be a good place to get extra magazines for it? and by california law whats the biggest clip i can own?
sorry for all the questions but i figured it's better then a bunch of separate posts. and it's the only way to learn.

What will be the primary use of the rifle? Hunting, targets or both? That will influence what scope would be best. Also what is your budget for a scope?

Max magazine size is 10 rounds for that rifle. I suggest you go to Midway USA and see what they may have. Just type "savage magazine" in their search window. Also if no luck there I suggest that you go to rimfirecentral in the savage sub-forum and search for info there. I think you have to join as a member (free) to be able to search. If you just post a question there you may get yelled at for not searching, maybe not.

SoCal Bob
01-14-2011, 12:18 PM
I bought a Savage that had a Simmons 22 Mag scope on it and I have been happy with it, I'm sure there are better ones but it works for me.

Midway USA is one source, there are many others. Here is a link to their page that has Savage magazines:

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=4&categoryId=10294&categoryString=655***687***11341***

In California you are limited to 10 round magazines unless you owned one that held more prior to 2000. Tube fed rimfire rifles are exempt from this law.

Big E
01-14-2011, 4:44 PM
I'm looking at doing the same thing with my 30 yr old Marlin 60 (18 rnd, tube feed). Still shoots great after all these years. I recently went to my first Appleseed and put on the Glenfield 4x scope my dad bought with the gun years ago (funny, he never mounted it so we only used iron sights). The scope doesn't work well for me so I'm going to upgrade (I'm keeping the scope with the gun since my dad has now passed). However, this wonderful gun needs a new scope so I'm looking. Price is critical, so I'm keeping it under a hundred. I've found a used Bushnell 3-9x40 w/ AO for $90; about 90% from what I can tell, but needs rings (another $20 or so). New - I've found a Nikko Stirling Mountmaster 3-9x40 AO Mil Dot (comes with everything needed to mount it) for $65 and some websites have Barska's, Tasco's, and Bushnell's in the price range.

Problem is that I don't have much experience in scopes, let alone low-cost scopes. I realize the lower the price goes the more likely the quality will suffer. So any opinions for the OP and myself on what's out there? Thanks and I apologize for the highjack, but it sounds like we are on the same quest.

gbran
01-14-2011, 7:38 PM
My Savage 22WMR with Weaver V16 ($300 @ Optics Planet)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/gbran/93FVSS.jpg

pennys dad
01-14-2011, 8:10 PM
My Savage 22WMR with Weaver V16 ($300 @ Optics Planet)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/gbran/93FVSS.jpg

Excellent looking rifle!

pennys dad
01-14-2011, 8:17 PM
Rifle scope choices under $100 not including the rings:

BSA
Simmons
Bushnell
Redfield
Weaver
I got these recently and they work great!
Simmons Master Series ProDiamond 4x32mm - Love It
BSA Optics 1.5-4.5x32 mm Boss RifleScopes w/ Turkey Reticle - Love the sights
Barska 1.25-4.5x26 Euro-30 Rifle Scopes w/ 4 A Reticle - considering this one next

spicydeath82
01-14-2011, 8:32 PM
my cheap scope is made by bsa i believe. i had planned on using it for target practice since i had been told that i can't use it for hunting( can i hunt with it?) a ten round mag sounds good, i'll try those places that have been mentioned. as far as mount type goes it seems like a standard dovetail style over the reciever. it's an older rifle, late sixties early seventies, originally bought for 20 bucks new i think my dad said. has a lot of character(dings and scratches). my only issue with it is the price of the ammo. fairly pricey for what it is... lol.

calibanman
01-14-2011, 9:51 PM
I ran across this old scope and thought of your grandpas 22. Old school for old school
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=377020

spicydeath82
01-15-2011, 7:38 AM
thats cool looking little scope.