PDA

View Full Version : Picking an Off-List Gift

Rekrab
01-14-2011, 12:02 PM
So, my dad has decided to celebrate his move to Montana by sending me a gift; an off-list gift. The real question is "What the hell do I choose?"

Obviously I'm not interested in selling this off. Whatever I get I plan on keeping so resale value really isn't a concern. So now, I turn to the geniuses of Calguns to help me make my decision.

My criteria:
Has to be a caliber I like (9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP, .38sp, or .357mag)
No Glocks, I'm just not interested
No HKs since I generally don't like the ergos
Under $1,000
Full-Size

My first thought is a PX4 in .45 since I love my .40S&W. After that I'm thinking a Whitney Wolverine since they're so neat looking. I'd want a Chiappa Rhino but I don't think they're in production yet. A Baby Eagle is also another big consideration for me since I've got its big brother. Finally, while a Sig 210 would be awesome, they're stupid expensive.

A 1911 frame or two might also be in the cards, but since they require a bit of fitting and machining I'm not all that interested since I don't have the facilities for the DIY.

SixPointEight
01-14-2011, 12:06 PM
XDM in any of those calibers?

I'd get one if I was in a free state.

Lumpia is sarap!
01-14-2011, 12:07 PM
How would this work if your dad moves to Montana, buys your off list gun in Montana and mail it to a CA FFL?

Canucky
01-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Does it matter new or used? I wonder what the price difference is between the 2 states? Meaning your'e asking for input on pistols in the $1000. range. I betting you can buy alot more (dollar wise) in Montana than California.

Rekrab
01-14-2011, 12:13 PM
XDM in any of those calibers?

I'd get one if I was in a free state.

Definitely in the running. I just got an XD-45 I'm taking to the range tonight and I like the grip of the xd(m) 9mm I shot before.

How would this work if your dad moves to Montana, buys your off list gun in Montana and mail it to a CA FFL?

Intra-familial transfers are not subject to the list.

Does it matter new or used? I wonder what the price difference is between the 2 states? Meaning your'e asking for input on pistols in the $1000. range. I betting you can buy alot more (dollar wise) in Montana than California.

Not really... But without being able to check a used gun myself I wouldn't ask my dad to do it because he isn't quite as familiar with what to look for as I am.

Canucky
01-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Some candy from a free state.

http://www.bigskyguns.com/cart.cgi?group=33229&child=41188

hkdad
01-14-2011, 12:34 PM
STI, XDm, 9MM revolver, ruger LCP etc...

TangoCharlie
01-14-2011, 12:53 PM
I would focus my search on discontinued guns rather than simply off-roster. Current production, but off-roster can be had through the single-shot exemption. Discontinued guns, not so easily.

Rekrab
01-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Good point Tango, any suggestions?

I've kinda been thinking of trying to track down a Daewoo just for the novelty.

Windex
01-14-2011, 1:01 PM
I think if it's off list you can only do it through Private Party Transfer. Your dad can't send it to an FFL. I was told once that if a shop sends anything to a CA FFL that's off list even if by mistake the store is supposed to turn it in to the ATF. I might be wrong.

Rhythm of Life
01-14-2011, 1:03 PM
CZ SP 01 Phantom.

Rekrab
01-14-2011, 1:08 PM
I think if it's off list you can only do it through Private Party Transfer. Your dad can't send it to an FFL. I was told once that if a shop sends anything to a CA FFL that's off list even if by mistake the store is supposed to turn it in to the ATF. I might be wrong.

Intra-familial transfers have a special form and are exempt from the roster, they are not the same as a PPT or FFL sale. I believe you can find more information on the CGN Wiki.

CZ SP 01 Phantom.

I was curious about this one, do you know if the grip and angle are similar to the CZ-75?

Rhythm of Life
01-14-2011, 1:10 PM
I was curious about this one, do you know if the grip and angle are similar to the CZ-75?

It should be the exact same just with a rail and a polymer frame.

Rekrab
01-14-2011, 1:11 PM
Polymer frame? Eh... the weight of the 75 is what I really like about it. I think I'll pass on that one.

ke6guj
01-14-2011, 1:12 PM
I think if it's off list you can only do it through Private Party Transfer. Your dad can't send it to an FFL. I was told once that if a shop sends anything to a CA FFL that's off list even if by mistake the store is supposed to turn it in to the ATF. I might be wrong.an out-of-state grandparent, parent, child, or grandchild can send an off-roster handgun to an CA FFL to have it transfered to the recipient. It is a roster-exempt transfer, even though it is going through an FFL, because it is an intrafamily transfer (just one that have to go through an FFL to satisfy federal law because the parties are from different states).

Why would the FFL have to turn it into ATF, no fededral law is broken if an off-roster handgun is sent to a CA FFL.

Intra-familial transfers have a special form and are exempt from the roster, they are not the same as a PPT or FFL sale. I believe you can find more information on the CGN Wiki.

since it would be coming from out of state, you can't use the intrafamily transfer form (only for instate transfers if both parties are CA-residents), but must run it through a CA FFL.

Lumpia is sarap!
01-14-2011, 1:22 PM
I need to send my dad off to TX. I'd get a really nice 1911.

Rekrab
01-14-2011, 1:26 PM
since it would be coming from out of state, you can't use the intrafamily transfer form (only for instate transfers if both parties are CA-residents), but must run it through a CA FFL.

Ah! Thanks for the clarification.

realmswalker
01-14-2011, 2:29 PM
You should seriously sig p226 tac ops. It would be my number one choice for an off roster gun. Can be had for less than a thousand.

http://www.gunforall.com/shopcart/mcartfree/product.asp?intProdID=164180

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn38/realmswalker1/Blackwater/DSCF1865.jpg

racerguy180
01-14-2011, 2:29 PM
what if your dad brought it with him the next time he visits, does it still need to go through a FFL?

morrcarr67
01-14-2011, 2:37 PM
I would focus my search on discontinued guns rather than simply off-roster. Current production, but off-roster can be had through the single-shot exemption. Discontinued guns, not so easily.

:iagree:

Colt .357 Revolvers. Doesn't need to be a Python; besides that one would put you over the $1000 mark.

Check out gunbrooker.com find what you want, have dad sign up for an account, have him bid on it, after he wins the bid you will need to count on paying double shipping, double dealer fees and double DROS; so keep you final price in mand when you add all the other factors in. :)

Rekrab
01-14-2011, 2:39 PM
Hmmm, I found a couple Coonan .357s in my price range. Anyone know of any other .357 auto-loaders besides the Desert Eagle?

ke6guj
01-14-2011, 2:43 PM
what if your dad brought it with him the next time he visits, does it still need to go through a FFL?

Where the transfer between father and son occurs does not matter. Because he is a resident of a different state, federal law requires that it go through an FFL in the recipient's state.

TangoCharlie
01-14-2011, 3:24 PM
Good point Tango, any suggestions?

I've kinda been thinking of trying to track down a Daewoo just for the novelty.

I know you are looking for $1000 and under, but this would be my eclectic wishlist:

Bren Ten (can also be had as C&R)
S&W ASP conversion
S&W Devel conversion
Any of the older S&W autos
Coonan .357
Dardick pistol
Vektor CP-1
Vektor SP-1
Colt Python (or Smython)
Any Mateba revolver
S&W Model 19

The Chiappa Rhinos are in fact in production and can be had through Gunbroker, but I hear they're submitting for Roster. They're about $800.

Rekrab
01-14-2011, 3:38 PM
Interesting list Tango. That dardick is one hell of an ugly pistol though!

The Vektor CP-1 falls into the same category of "space guns" I lump the Wolverine into. But that doesn't mean I don't want one >.>

I found a few snub nosed Rhinos on GB, but none of the 5" or 6" variants. It sure would be nice if they made it onto the list though.

steelcore
01-14-2011, 10:39 PM
If you like combat style pistols, I'd recommend the FNH FNP-45. You can get the 9 and 40 in CA, but not the 45. It's said to be very accurate and has traditional hammer, ambi safety/de-cocker, ambi slide release, AND ambi mag release. Available with 10 or 14rd mags. Comes with 3 mags, fitted case, and lock for around $600. Since I like the option of carrying locked 'n cocked in the field, this would be my pick.