PDA

View Full Version : Bunker Hill safes?

vietcious
01-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Anybody have experience with this particular model... Looks like it's on sale at harbor freight... Just looking to store ammo, a couple of rifles, a couple of pistols and thats about it. any feedback would be great!

http://www.harborfreight.com/executive-safe-95824.html?utm_source=retail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=0211b&p=2

wrdavis
01-14-2011, 4:32 PM
Says on the box in fine print, both in English & Spanish that the safe does not meet the requirements of CA DOJ. The notice does meet one requirement of the DOJ requirement if the safe isn't up to code. My cousin bought one a couple weeks ago on sale and after getting it home, tearing the box apart, spotted the notice on one of the cardboard pieces. Returned it. Bought a Stack On at just a bit more, bigger and DOJ approved if he ever had a problem with a break in or something similar where the legality of the safe came into question.

A shame Harbor Freight can't make it approved. It does look like a good safe at a good price otherwise.

sandsnow
01-16-2011, 9:58 AM
Does anyone know what is deficient in this safe?

Maybe it is easy to bring into complince?

zatoh
01-16-2011, 10:47 AM
No hard plate maybe?

The lock shall be protected by a case-hardened (Rc 60+) drill-resistant steel plate, or drill-resistant material of equivalent strength;

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/gunsafe.php

sandsnow
01-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Interesting. I've drilled holes in my Sportsman Steel safe and it was no big deal.
Just an ordinary drill bit. Went right through.

craneman
01-16-2011, 3:14 PM
Interesting. I've drilled holes in my Sportsman Steel safe and it was no big deal.
Just an ordinary drill bit. Went right through.

Into the locking mechanism on the door?

sandsnow
01-16-2011, 4:18 PM
Through the steel on the side. Same as the door. Not through the combo lock.

gravedigger
01-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Does anyone know what is deficient in this safe?

Maybe it is easy to bring into complince?

The bolts are only 3/4 inch diameter. I think that is the reason. For what it would cost you to modify this safe to compliance, with welding, cutting, reinforcing, and re-painting it, you're WAY better off just buying one that IS compliant.

sandsnow
01-16-2011, 10:17 PM
The bolts are only 3/4 inch diameter. I think that is the reason. For what it would cost you to modify this safe to compliance, with welding, cutting, reinforcing, and re-painting it, you're WAY better off just buying one that IS compliant.

Thanks.

zatoh
01-17-2011, 12:30 PM

True that! Not to mention the tools and time necessary to do the job. It looks like 3/4 inch is good according the the DOJ though.

Boltwork shall consist of a minimum of three steel locking bolts of at least inch thickness that intrude from the door of the safe into the body of the safe or from the body of the safe into the door of the safe, which are operated by a separate handle and secured by the lock;Here's video from Sturdy of a safe that is possibly similar to the Harbor Freight model that demonstrates the vulnerabilities of this type of safe. It's pretty interesting and gives explanation to all the dodads that are within the door of any safe: i.e protection from attack.

A-2ql9gOWzw

johnthomas
01-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Regulatory Gun Safe Standards

DOJ regulatory standards require a gun safe to meet either:

All of the following requirements:

1. Shall be able to fully contain firearms and provide for their secure storage;
2. Shall have a locking system consisting of at minimum a mechanical or electronic combination lock. The mechanical or electronic combination lock utilized by the safe shall have at least 10,000 possible combinations consisting of a minimum three numbers, letters, or symbols. The lock shall be protected by a case-hardened (Rc 60+) drill-resistant steel plate, or drill-resistant material of equivalent strength;
3. Boltwork shall consist of a minimum of three steel locking bolts of at least inch thickness that intrude from the door of the safe into the body of the safe or from the body of the safe into the door of the safe, which are operated by a separate handle and secured by the lock;
4. Shall be capable of repeated use. The exterior walls shall be constructed of a minimum 12-gauge thick steel for a single-walled safe, or the sum of the steel walls shall add up to at least .100 inches for safes with two walls. Doors shall be constructed of a minimum of two layers of 12-gauge steel, or one layer of 7-gauge steel compound construction;
5. Door hinges shall be protected to prevent the removal of the door. Protective features include, but are not limited to: hinges not exposed to the outside, interlocking door designs, dead bars, jeweler’s lugs and active or inactive locking bolts.

or

All of the following requirements:

1. Is listed as an Underwriters Laboratories Residential Security Container;
2. Is able to fully contain firearms;
3. Provides for the secure storage of firearms.
I found this on google search. I hope it helps answer your question.

BoJackUSMC
01-17-2011, 5:00 PM
wow, that is awesome price for the safe. My price range, but too bad it is not DOJ approve.
I might go check it out since I live close by from that store.