PDA

View Full Version : Gun, explosives charges for CSUN student

n2k
01-14-2011, 7:48 AM
Link (http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=7897976)

They are saying they may have averted something major.......really?

Rhythm of Life
01-14-2011, 7:52 AM
Its probably fireworks and a handgun.... M80's can do some damage :cool2:

n2k
01-14-2011, 7:53 AM
Looks like he had a shotgun

Dreaded Claymore
01-14-2011, 7:59 AM
:popcorn: This should be good.

voiceofreason
01-14-2011, 8:01 AM
Your Constitutional rights are suspended when you enter a liberal institution of higher education.

glockman19
01-14-2011, 8:04 AM
I hope CGF helps this firearms owner out.

Rhythm of Life
01-14-2011, 8:04 AM
I'm intrigued because this isn't in the CSUN crime log for yesterday.... http://www-admn.csun.edu/police/report/current.pdf

n2k
01-14-2011, 8:05 AM

Only if he wasn't going to shoot up the place.......

halifax
01-14-2011, 8:06 AM
More (but not much) here (http://www.dailynews.com/crime/ci_17088326)

Says he made threats

Rhythm of Life
01-14-2011, 8:06 AM

I wouldn't automatically assume this guy is innocent. There are dozens of gang members that live in the CSUN dorms, Bloods and Gangster Disciples mostly.

glockman19
01-14-2011, 8:10 AM
I wouldn't automatically assume this guy is innocent. There are dozens of gang members that live in the CSUN dorms, Bloods and Gangster Disciples mostly.

Really? I know very few "gang members" that seek higher education and have enough money to afford campus housing.

Rhythm of Life
01-14-2011, 8:11 AM
Really? I know very few "gang members" that seek higher education and have enough money to afford campus housing.

We pay for it not them, financial aid.... I lived in the CSUN dorms for 2 years.

joefreas
01-14-2011, 8:16 AM
Gang Violence at CSUN http://www.thefreelibrary.com/RASH+OF+CSUN+VIOLENCE+HAS+GANG+OVERTONES,+SAY+CAMP US,+L.A.+POLICE.-a083841228

PsychGuy274
01-14-2011, 11:53 AM

You'd be surprised. I know quite a few.

Untamed1972
01-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Your Constitutional rights are suspended when you enter a liberal institution of higher education.

"liberal institution of indoctrination" you mean

PsychGuy274
01-14-2011, 12:03 PM
"liberal institution of indoctrination" you mean

That's generally true, but not always.

I had a professor last quarter and we were talking about the violent mentality of the South versus the North. Nearly proven that the South is a Culture of Honor while the North is a culture of Dignity which accounts for the difference in homicide and violent crime.

One student asked him, "If that's true then where did we get the phrase 'southern hospitality' from?

Professor answered, "Because everyone carries guns. If you mouth off or harm someone, there are consequences unlike in states like California where people just let others walk all over them. There are no consequences"

Then he went on to explain the failure of gun control and their 'statistics.' I was blown away and very happy :D

glockman19
01-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Gang Violence at CSUN http://www.thefreelibrary.com/RASH+OF+CSUN+VIOLENCE+HAS+GANG+OVERTONES,+SAY+CAMP US,+L.A.+POLICE.-a083841228

Article is from 1998.

Rhythm of Life
01-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Article is from 1998.

But my information is from now, by a current student. This article just proves its nothing new.

Cokebottle
01-14-2011, 12:09 PM
We pay for it not them, financial aid.... I lived in the CSUN dorms for 2 years.
+1

"Octo Mom" and her 14 kids have been living on student loans for many years.

Wherryj
01-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Only if he wasn't going to shoot up the place.......

The search may be a bit questionable (even if you sign something upon moving into a school dorm that says that you have no Constitutional rights, that doesn't mean that it is ok to violate said rights), there is the appearance that this guy may have been "about to shoot up the place".

Who knows, maybe the media is twisting things, but a guy picked out of the crowd for mental health issues, makes threats to students AT COUNSELING (even a sane criminal knows to be quiet there) and then is found with possible explosives? I think that I'll need to see more before I hope that CGF helps this guy out.

Wherryj
01-14-2011, 12:21 PM
That's generally true, but not always.

I had a professor last quarter and we were talking about the violent mentality of the South versus the North. Nearly proven that the South is a Culture of Honor while the North is a culture of Dignity which accounts for the difference in homicide and violent crime.

One student asked him, "If that's true then where did we get the phrase 'southern hospitality' from?

Professor answered, "Because everyone carries guns. If you mouth off or harm someone, there are consequences unlike in states like California where people just let others walk all over them. There are no consequences"

Then he went on to explain the failure of gun control and their 'statistics.' I was blown away and very happy :D

Your professor is ignoring some very important information when he makes his "Honor" vs. "Dignity" claim. Japan is perhaps the penultimate example of a country of "honor". Japan also has a lower violent crime rate than the "North".

I'd also point to those cesspools of the North, DC and New York City. How does one explain the "dignity" there?

safewaysecurity
01-14-2011, 1:10 PM
Interesting... the story seems a bit fishy. Indirect threats? Are these like Sarah Palin crosshair indirect threats? I'm confused. No examples? How did they determine he was a danger to himself and others?

GaryV
01-14-2011, 1:18 PM
Link (http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=7897976)

They are saying they may have averted something major.......really?

The guy was sent to counseling for his behavior. He made threats there and ended up in a mental health facility. Maybe he wasn't planning to kill a bunch of people. But maybe he was. What if the V Tech shooter, or the Tucson shooter, had ended up like this, instead of both of them being kept out of the system when their schools decided they were acting bizarre? From what little information we have, this guy fits the profile of those two pretty well. We know the government can't stop these kinds of things with gun control laws, but they probably can stop many of them if they take mental health more seriously and don't just pass the buck when someone makes threats. While I don't agree with the criminal charges based on simple possession, I think that schools should treat the kind of behavior he was exhibiting seriously.

Smithereens
01-14-2011, 2:07 PM
I noticed the article said that after he was taken into custody the police went to his dorm and found the gun and explosives. This could mean a couple of things. It is routine for the school to do the dorm search with an individuals circumstances as these, or they were fishing for something or they had some intel. that there was something to be found.

Seems like things were heading towards bad things not good things with this guy.

So... Dont act weird or make threats on campus when having dangerous things in your dorm???

Wherryj
01-14-2011, 2:19 PM
I noticed the article said that after he was taken into custody the police went to his dorm and found the gun and explosives. This could mean a couple of things. It is routine for the school to do the dorm search with an individuals circumstances as these, or they were fishing for something or they had some intel. that there was something to be found.

Seems like things were heading towards bad things not good things with this guy.

So... Dont act weird or make threats on campus when having dangerous things in your dorm???

It doesn't appear that he was just acting "weird". That wouldn't differentiate him from the majority of the PRK population.

Also, it appears that he was making threats during a psych interview. This to me would support a seriously twisted mind, or some significant mental health pathology.

It's like the old song,
You don't tug on Superman's Cape
You don't spit in the wind
You don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger
and you don't piss off the guy holding the 72 hour hold form.

Matt C
01-14-2011, 2:19 PM
Maybe tannerite? Maybe baking soda and vinegar? Also, "Everson had made indirect threats to students and faculty during his counseling sessions." What is an "indirect threat"? I may be a little biased but this could very well be total BS, aside from the gun charge. And I'm pretty sure that Heller affirmed a right to have a gun in your residence, which his dorm is.

N6ATF
01-14-2011, 2:22 PM
OMG he made indirect threats? Like he quoted Python by saying he would fart in their general direction?

GammaRei
01-14-2011, 3:04 PM

I dont know about this one. It seems that he was taken to a mental health facility. From what they said "Danger to Self and/or Others", hes on a 5150 hold.

- G

Snaps
01-14-2011, 3:15 PM
http://blogs.forbes.com/kashmirhill/2011/01/12/brooklyn-college-student-committed-to-mental-institution-after-hidden-camera-complaint/

Well if the college authorities say you're mental, it must be true.

Big Jake
01-14-2011, 3:27 PM

Isn't that the truth! :mad:

Matt C
01-14-2011, 3:29 PM
I dont know about this one. It seems that he was taken to a mental health facility. From what they said "Danger to Self and/or Others", hes on a 5150 hold.

- G

5150 doesn't mean crap

ZombieTactics
01-14-2011, 3:53 PM

Really? I always thought "innocent until PROVEN guilty" was the way to go.

n2k
01-14-2011, 4:35 PM
Not that it really matters: White Dude

Probably not a Crip or Blood

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-cs-northridge-explosives-charges,0,3452123.story

Dreaded Claymore
01-17-2011, 8:44 AM
The guy was sent to counseling for his behavior. He made threats there and ended up in a mental health facility. Maybe he wasn't planning to kill a bunch of people. But maybe he was. What if the V Tech shooter, or the Tucson shooter, had ended up like this, instead of both of them being kept out of the system when their schools decided they were acting bizarre? From what little information we have, this guy fits the profile of those two pretty well. We know the government can't stop these kinds of things with gun control laws, but they probably can stop many of them if they take mental health more seriously and don't just pass the buck when someone makes threats. While I don't agree with the criminal charges based on simple possession, I think that schools should treat the kind of behavior he was exhibiting seriously.

GaryV has said it exactly.

QQQ
01-17-2011, 9:12 AM
I want to know what "threats" he made.

It's not about whether or not he fits the "profile" of a killer- it's about whether or not he has committed a crime. And making specific threats is a crime.

AJAX22
01-17-2011, 9:26 AM
See, all they would have had to do with BWO to get everyone to automatically Condem him would be to state that he had made 'indirect threats' and put him on a 72 hour hold for observation.....

Guess they are learning