PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles Times - Gun Control

HowardW56
01-14-2011, 6:16 AM
The LA Times is acknowledging that any new gun control measures are unlikely to gain traction....

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-gun-control-20110114,0,1261398.story

voiceofreason
01-14-2011, 6:26 AM
Because we exercised our political power to vote Ds out and Rs in.

If EVERY gun owner voted in every local, state, and national election in furtherance of 2A rights (yes, there are other issues as well)... the antis would likely continue on their path to irrelevance.

Bruce
01-14-2011, 6:31 AM
It will be interesting to see what Congresswoman Giffords (D- AZ) has to say about gun control after they take the breathing tube out.

vantec08
01-14-2011, 6:35 AM
"And I understand the human impulse is to look for blame. Heartache does that. But no expressed opinion and no public policy created what happened on Saturday last." Mike Pence, R-Idaho.

Couldnt have said it better.

SanPedroShooter
01-14-2011, 6:35 AM
Yes i am awaiting what her opinion will be. I have a feeling she will "stick to her guns". She seems a pretty strong minded person, according to her background. I dont think she will waiver. All the gun control in the world will not stop a determined madman from harming others. In fact just the opposite, we need an armed citizen police force (i use the term loosely) on alert to protect each other, our way of life, and our republic from terrorists, and this guy surely was a terrorist.

LAWABIDINGCITIZEN
01-14-2011, 6:39 AM
Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), herself the owner of a Glock.Hmmm, the LA Times actually printed this.

HowardW56
01-14-2011, 6:45 AM
It will be interesting to see what Congresswoman Giffords (D- AZ) has to say about gun control after they take the breathing tube out.

If she is capable of speach. It is highly unlikely she will ever be the same.

cdtx2001
01-14-2011, 7:31 AM
Yes i am awaiting what her opinion will be. I have a feeling she will "stick to her guns". She seems a pretty strong minded person, according to her background. I dont think she will waiver. All the gun control in the world will not stop a determined madman from harming others. In fact just the opposite, we need an armed citizen police force (i use the term loosely) on alert to protect each other, our way of life, and our republic from terrorists, and this guy surely was a terrorist.

We're on our own and therefore need to stick together.

jshoebot
01-14-2011, 7:46 AM
NY Times ran a similar article today on the front page. Think they're being honest, or just trying to dupe us into thinking everything is cool? These newspapers aren't exactly the most gun-friendly publications..

rabagley
01-14-2011, 7:50 AM
Because we exercised our political power to vote Ds out and Rs in. anti's out over the past 12 years.

Fixed it for you. In the recent election, a lot of pro-gun incumbents got replaced with a lot of legislators from a party that's usually pro-gun. The odds of gun control having any traction were near zero in the last congress. It didn't change much in the new congress.

Wherryj
01-14-2011, 8:00 AM
If she is capable of speach. It is highly unlikely she will ever be the same.

Unfortunately a deranged madman putting a bullet into one's skull has a tendency to cause long-term changes. I hope that she won't suffer too many long-term ill effects.

voiceofreason
01-14-2011, 8:07 AM
:clap:

Wherryj
01-14-2011, 8:12 AM
NY Times ran a similar article today on the front page. Think they're being honest, or just trying to dupe us into thinking everything is cool? These newspapers aren't exactly the most gun-friendly publications..

I read it more as a call to their readers to get more active on the issue. The repeated "powerful gun lobby" type stuff seems to send a subliminal message that "we anti's can be powerful if we band together". When was the last time that you read "the powerful free speech lobby" or the "powerful rights against unreasonable search lobby"?

Perhaps that was just my take, but knowing the LAT and NYT I don't see it as an unreasonable suspicion.

Glock22Fan
01-14-2011, 8:15 AM
Another proposal, from Rep. Peter T. King (http://www.calguns.net/topic/politics/peter-t.-king-PEPLT003549.topic) (R-N.Y.), the chairman of the Homeland Security Committee, would prohibit the carrying of guns within 1,000 feet of a federal official. In addition to Giffords being critically injured in Saturday's attack, U.S. District Judge John M. Roll was among those killed.

Wow. Mobile Gun Free Federal Official Zones, wandering freely and unmapped around our cities. Good way to make legal gun carrying completely impossible.

Kodemonkey
01-14-2011, 8:20 AM
"Another proposal, from Rep. Peter T. King (R-N.Y.), the chairman of the Homeland Security Committee, would prohibit the carrying of guns within 1,000 feet of a federal official. "

How is that supposed to work? In order to comply with this law, we should install GPS trackers on all federal officials and make that information public.

stix213
01-14-2011, 8:31 AM
"We've been very disappointed in him," Helmke said. "I'm hopeful that's a sign he's going to talk about gun safety laws soon."

Is this guy just insane?

Shiboleth
01-14-2011, 8:37 AM
Hmmm, the LA Times actually printed this.

Lol yeah i noticed that. Should be a nice little tidbit to throw back at people demonizing Glock for being designed to kill babies.

Mendo223
01-14-2011, 9:08 AM
BLAH AHAH paul helmke is such a douchebag.

dude seriously sits around all day worrying about gun control.

get a life helmke! Obama will not save your ultra insane progressive agenda.