PDA

View Full Version : SHOT show rules.

Anchors
01-13-2011, 11:52 PM
"Personal Firearms Carry Policy
Per Sands Expo Convention Center (SECC) policy, personal firearms or ammunition are not allowed. Only firearms on display by exhibitors whose firing pins have been removed (and have been inspected by SHOT Show Safety Advisors) will be permitted on the show floor."

http://www.shotshow.org/en/Shot-Show-Information/

Why would they have the trade show at a place that is clearly against firearms?

Okay, so a lot of normal gun shows (which this is NOT a gun show at all) don't allow personal firearms. But to remove the firing pins from the display models seems a bit extreme.

Mstrty
01-14-2011, 12:00 AM
I dont think everyone complies. Concealed means just that. I saw a few I suspected that were caring last year. Remember policy is not law.

Enterance to the halls are not checked for anything other than you badge hanging around your neck.

Anchors
01-14-2011, 12:05 AM
I see.

That said. I wish I could go.
I can get into NAMM (musical instruments, right now at Anaheim Convention Center), but don't think I have a way into SHOT.

I'll trade someone haha.

ke6guj
01-14-2011, 12:11 AM

Okay, so a lot of normal gun shows (which this is NOT a gun show at all) don't allow personal firearms. But to remove the firing pins from the display models seems a bit extreme.

I dunno if you have ever been to SHOT, but the place is packed. unfortunately, there is no safe direction to point a firearm, other than the ceiling. if you are at the show, you WILL get swept by a muzzle. Triggers will be pulled. They want to make absolute sure that there won't be any NDs. Firearms are freely available to be handled. It isn't like at the local gun store/show where the average vendor clears each firearm before it is handed to you, and then re-clears it when it is handed back to him. It would be easy for an Agent provocateur to slip in some live rounds into fiearms and get someone to ND a gun. If that happened, it could be the end of SHOT.

AFAIK, the yearly NRA show is the same way, disabled firearms because they are freely played with by the attendees.

locosway
01-14-2011, 12:16 AM
"Personal Firearms Carry Policy
Per Sands Expo Convention Center (SECC) policy, personal firearms or ammunition are not allowed. Only firearms on display by exhibitors whose firing pins have been removed (and have been inspected by SHOT Show Safety Advisors) will be permitted on the show floor."

http://www.shotshow.org/en/Shot-Show-Information/

This seems completely reasonable given it's just a show. You aren't buying a firearm here and then having to track down a firing pin later on. I'd rather not worry about all the idiots sweeping each other with the firearms and who may have put in a "dud" round to check and see if it cycles. It's just easier to keep things safe and not worry about it at events like this.

When you go to a SEMA show, do you complain that some of the cars don't have engines or fuel?

Anchors
01-14-2011, 12:17 AM
I dunno if you have ever been to SHOT, but the place is packed. unfortunately, there is no safe direction to point a firearm, other than the ceiling. if you are at the show, you WILL get swept by a muzzle. Triggers will be pulled. They want to make absolute sure that there won't be any NDs. Firearms are freely available to be handled. It isn't like at the local gun store/show where the average vendor clears each firearm before it is handed to you, and then re-clears it when it is handed back to him. It would be easy for an Agent provocateur to slip in some live rounds into fiearms and get someone to ND a gun. If that happened, it could be the end of SHOT.

AFAIK, the yearly NRA show is the same way, disabled firearms because they are freely played with by the attendees.

Ah that makes perfect sense actually. Thank you for breaking it down for me.
That would be horrible if some a-hole slipped some live rounds in and it wouldn't surprise me if someone tried.
Thanks.

But at the same time. I don't see how a holstered, personal CCW or OC should make a difference.
No one is going to grab it out of the holster to check it out and wave it around.

ke6guj
01-14-2011, 12:21 AM
it is a little unsettling how often you get swept while you are at SHOT, but at some point, you try to ignore it, knowing that there aren't any firing pins in the gun and there isn't any live ammo (IIRC, even display ammo is inert) on the floor.

here are the rules related to ammo and firearms, http://www.shotshow.org/RNA/RNA_SHOT/PDFs/2011/2011-PRODUCT-ELIGIBILITY%20_9-8-10_.pdf . Read it and you'll see that safety is Rule #1 at SHOT. No display gun there is gonna go BANG!

SJgunguy24
01-14-2011, 12:26 AM
I have a couple of ways to get in but alas, no means of transport nor the funds to allow me to go.

Anchors
01-14-2011, 12:31 AM
it is a little unsettling how often you get swept while you are at SHOT, but at some point, you try to ignore it, knowing that there aren't any firing pins in the gun and there isn't any live ammo (IIRC, even display ammo is inert) on the floor.

here are the rules related to ammo and firearms, http://www.shotshow.org/RNA/RNA_SHOT/PDFs/2011/2011-PRODUCT-ELIGIBILITY%20_9-8-10_.pdf . Read it and you'll see that safety is Rule #1 at SHOT. No display gun there is gonna go BANG!

Yeah. I understand that.
Still think personal handguns should be okay if they aren't effectively screening for them at the door (not that it is open to the public, but still).

I have a couple of ways to get in but alas, no means of transport nor the funds to allow me to go.

Bummer. Same with me and NAMM. That and I'm not that interested since I'm not really a musician even though I work for a musical instrument retailer.

Mstrty
01-14-2011, 12:33 AM
Everyone should try to beg barrow or steal a chance to get in there one day. It is a must attend for all gun aficionados.

hoffmang
01-14-2011, 12:43 AM
If one has a NV CCW I do not believe that the Sands is a Public Building per NV code and most likely not posted correctly and thus this is a suggesting and not a law if you're not an exhibitor.

-Gene

ke6guj
01-14-2011, 12:45 AM
Gene, you gonna be at SHOT?

a bunch of us are having dinner together Thursday evening.

hoffmang
01-14-2011, 12:50 AM

Jason will be there on CGF's behalf. I have to be in NYC for my day job...

-Gene

Liberty1
01-14-2011, 1:42 AM
Gene,

Do you prefer the naked body scanner, the hand job, or the Wolanyk body suit for your travels?

chrisw
01-14-2011, 2:05 AM
Gene,

Do you prefer the naked body scanner, the hand job, or the Wolanyk body suit for your travels?

:rofl2:

(but what a shame)

Dhena81
01-14-2011, 2:32 AM
Gene,

Call me old fashion I like the hand job :cool2:

Anchors
01-14-2011, 4:23 AM
Gene,

hahahahahahhaaha.

Call me old fashion I like the hand job :cool2:

Hahaha.

That reminded me of the South Park episode that just came out when Sharon discovers the shake weight.
Watch clip here http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/360892/a-nice-ol-fashioned

D-Man
01-14-2011, 6:11 AM
I am looking forward to it. Will be there next Thursday and Friday. Great place to meet up with people and sign new business deals. Can't wait to see the new toys for the next year.

MP301
01-14-2011, 1:04 PM
Dont forget the smart phone app at www.shotmobile.com (http://www.shotmobile.com) .

This will be my first SHOT appearance..any tips or tricks you frequent flyers want to share?

Mesa Tactical
01-14-2011, 1:22 PM
But at the same time. I don't see how a holstered, personal CCW or OC should make a difference.
No one is going to grab it out of the holster to check it out and wave it around.

Same reason many gun stores don't like to see personal carry weapons: because sooner or later some nimrod is going to pull his personal carry weapon out to show around and before you know it the gun will "go off," because someone has confused it with all the inert and/or empty guns at the location.

Rule #1 is only of value for people who actually follow rules. And plenty of folks think the rules only apply to other people (as all the muzzle sweeping that goes on at SHOT demonstrates).

CHS
01-14-2011, 1:33 PM

Awwww damn. I'm heading out tomorrow for work (working for one of the vendors) and will be able to attend SHOT on Tuesday before heading back down to SoCal. Wish I could make a calgunners dinner.

ke6guj
01-14-2011, 1:47 PM
Dont forget the smart phone app at www.shotmobile.com (http://www.shotmobile.com) . I played around with it a bit, and I think it sucks. I spent some time setting up which vendors I wanted to see on the website planner, and none of that work transfers over to the mobile planner. I don't want to have to try to surf the entire vendor list on the iphone to rebuild the planner.

This will be my first SHOT appearance..any tips or tricks you frequent flyers want to share?

I suggest going through the vendor list and marking out any vendors that you know you want to visit. mark them on the map so you know exactly where they are. There are so many booths there that it is easy to get lost. YOu want to do the "gun show" walk where you start at one corner and go up and down each row, so you don't miss anything, but you can easily miss someone you wanted to see if you aren't carefull. that is where the highlighted map helps, so that you can just cut through the show to go back to someone you missed. hopefully the mobile map will help.

SteveH
01-14-2011, 4:19 PM
Jason will be there on CGF's behalf. I have to be in NYC for my day job...

-Gene

Any chance he can bring along a GPAL representitive with their corporate check book? SHOT would be a great opportunity to settle old accounts.

CHS
01-14-2011, 8:58 PM
Any chance he can bring along a GPAL representitive with their corporate check book? SHOT would be a great opportunity to settle old accounts.

Last I checked, CGF had absolutely nothing to do with GPAL.