PDA

View Full Version : AR Function Issue At The Range Today

PLINK
08-13-2006, 9:27 PM
I took the gripless build out to the range today.

Everything is new on the rifle - Upper 16" Carbine, Lower, LPK, A2 Stock, B/BC/CH.

I was having some problems cambering the first round when droping the bolt using the bolt release on a full brand new Bushmaster 10 round mag (X2). The round does not want to go in as if it is getting stuck some where and I would then have to pull back the charging handle to get the round to strip off of the mag. I have tried loading one less (9) and still had the same result. I also tried two different brands of ammo. AE .223 55 grain and some 5.56 62 grain Nato. I also tried using a Stag mag when I got home and had the same result.

Any Ideas? TIA

C.G.
08-13-2006, 9:30 PM
I took the gripless build out to the range today.

Everything is new on the rifle - Upper 16" Carbine, Lower, LPK, A2 Stock, B/BC/CH.

I was having some problems cambering the first round when droping the bolt using the bolt release on a full brand new Bushmaster 10 round mag (X2). The round does not want to go in as if it is getting stuck some where and I would then have to pull back the charging handle to get the round to strip off of the mag. I have tried loading one less (9) and still had the same result. I also tried two different brands of ammo. AE .223 55 grain and some 5.56 62 grain Nato. I also tried using a Stag mag when I got home and had the same result.

Any Ideas? TIA

Whose upper? Did you lubricate the bolt?

PLINK
08-13-2006, 10:04 PM
Whose upper? Did you lubricate the bolt?

M1S A3 (with piramid forge marking) with Young Chrome Nation Match Bolt Carrier. I had a light coat of CLP on the bolt carrier and I a light coat on the bolt the last time I cleaned it. Do I need to use more lube? The rifle funtion perfect other than the issue mentioned above.

JPglee1
08-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Sounds like bolt is dragging on the sides of the back portion of the feed lips in the magazine, and/or slight friction on the hammer/bolt carrier interface. This happens on AKs a lot too.

J

bwiese
08-14-2006, 12:45 AM
Exercise the follower in the mag a few dozen times with a popsicle stick, etc.
Maybe a small bit of CLP lube fore/aft of follower in mag.

Why o why did you get a Young's chromed bolt carrier? No No No - someone sold you something unnecessary. In fact, chromed bolt carriers promote excessive wear in AR upper receivers. Stick with a std carrier.

Oh, CLP lube the bolt catch assy on the rifle and exercise it a coupla dozen times as well.

mr2.0
08-14-2006, 1:04 AM
Why o why did you get a Young's chromed bolt carrier? No No No - someone sold you something unnecessary. In fact, chromed bolt carriers promote excessive wear in AR upper receivers. Stick with a std carrier.

Is this a proven fact? The reason I asked was b/c I also have Young N/M bolt and carrier and got me a little worry.

bwiese
08-14-2006, 1:19 AM
Is this a proven fact? The reason I asked was b/c I also have Young N/M bolt and carrier and got me a little worry.

Yeah, the military got rid of chromed carriers in the 60s for this reason. It strips the hard lube + teflon layer (of CLP) inside.

There's just no reason to have one anyway. A regular, quality bolt carrier works just fine even in match rifles. If someone gave me one, I'd use it to prop up the corner of the sofa, but not much else.

It seems it's always the newbies that have these, too.

mr2.0
08-14-2006, 1:35 AM
How do I know if I got a chromed one. I ordered it fron M1S about 3 mos ago. It came in silver color

bwiese
08-14-2006, 1:53 AM
How do I know if I got a chromed one. I ordered it fron M1S about 3 mos ago. It came in silver color

That appears to be it.

A true bolt carrier is just black/grey parkerized-like finish. It won't be shiny chrome etc. This is separate from the internal lining in the bolt carrier chamber that accepts the rear of the bolt, which should be chromed (but it's not shiny chrome).

The price you paid ($125+ to $150ish) for a Young's chromed carrier is quite a bit more than the price you'd've paid extra to go with a quality upper & kit from someone other than Model 1 (or Sherluk Mktg, Oly Arms, M&A Parts, etc.) You'd even get a chrome-lined barrel (which is what you really want).

JPN6336
08-14-2006, 8:40 AM
What about chrome bolts like the LMT enhanced?

PIRATE14
08-14-2006, 9:23 AM
What about chrome bolts like the LMT enhanced?

Different story on these.....no worries.

A lot of guys ask me about Chromed carriers and I don't recommend them, don't carry them.

There is a nitch for their use but 99.9 percent of the crowd doesn't need'em.

Mudvayne540ld
08-14-2006, 3:25 PM
when the round gets stuck, does it look like it is going at a slight slant, but not at the feed ramp yet?

Try tapping on the Forward assist.

BigAL
08-14-2006, 6:57 PM
I run a Young/LBC chromed carrier and have no problems. I've run many thousands of rounds through this gun and the main wear location in the uper remains the part where the bolt cam pin rides. And this has nothing to do with a chrome or un-chromed bolt. Really I wanted it since it duplicates the M16 carrier weight. If I could go back I'd prob go with a standard M16 carrier and save some money but I don't see how having one is a downside.

Regardless, a chromed carrier is not the problem here.

Corbin Dallas
08-14-2006, 8:44 PM
I had a similar problem with my freshly built M4, after some serious cleaning and a "GENEROUS" amount of CLP, along with about 500 rounds, the weapon works perfectly!

Clean and LUBE the ******** outta your weapon and it'll function fine. It's a bit of a break-in period.

PLINK
08-14-2006, 9:38 PM

I got it with the upper in a trade. All of my other bolt carriers a black/ parked. Since the bolt carrier was with the upper from day one I just have left it. I would use the upper with one of my other bolt carriers but I thought it was bad to use a bolt carrier that has been broke in with another upper.

Anyway, I will go to town on the lube. Thanks for everyone's help.

bwiese
08-14-2006, 11:46 PM
I would use the upper with one of my other bolt carriers but I thought it was bad to use a bolt carrier that has been broke in with another upper.

It's OK to swap carriers amongst guns. It's the swapping of bolts themselves amongst barrels of widely varying wear levels that can be problematic.

Anyway, I will go to town on the lube. Thanks for everyone's help.

Poor lubing or running near-dry is #1 problem I've seen with ARs at range.