PDA

View Full Version : OH MY GOD....CMP at Reno...

50 Freak
08-13-2006, 8:26 PM
I think they brought a few hundred rifles...I went there first thing Sat morning and they were all sold out.

Sorry, they had three barreled receivers and a pair of unissued Garands still in wrap (price tag of $25,000).

Guy said they were swamped on Friday as hundreds of guys swamed their tables.

ocabj
08-13-2006, 9:05 PM
Someone already posted a warning on Friday about it.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=38351

And of course, mailing in an order is a lot easier.

xrMike
08-14-2006, 8:34 AM
Sorry, they had three barreled receivers and a pair of unissued Garands still in wrap (price tag of $25,000).That's just plain crazy.

EOD Guy
08-14-2006, 9:09 AM
That's just plain crazy.

Actually, it is perfectly reasonable for two, consecutively numbered, unissued, new in wrap Garands.

xrMike
08-14-2006, 9:32 AM
Actually, it is perfectly reasonable for two, consecutively numbered, unissued, new in wrap Garands.In my world of limited resources, it's still crazy. :D

I do understand what you're saying though... They're worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for them.

I need to buy me another Service Grade before they jack up the prices again, or worse, before they're all gone.

PistolKidd
08-14-2006, 11:47 AM
argh.. man oh' man.. i really want a garand now.. time to save up ... all this talk of 'drying' up is causing me some scare!!

Robf
08-14-2006, 8:43 PM
I just stumbled upon the CMP website. Anyone can tell me how I can purchase a M1 garand or other surplus rifle?

Thanks,
rob

chickenfried
08-14-2006, 8:54 PM
Read page 4
http://www.odcmp.com/Forms/1orderform.pdf

Robf
08-14-2006, 9:03 PM
Read page 4
http://www.odcmp.com/Forms/1orderform.pdf

Thanks! Doesn't seem too hard to qualifiy.

Rob

xrMike
08-15-2006, 9:32 AM
Thanks! Doesn't seem too hard to qualifiy.I was just over at the CMP forum and happened to read a reply from the guy who runs the whole show over there -- Orest Michaels -- as to Garand purchase requirements:

CMP has four requirements for purchase:

1. age over 18
2. US citizenship
3. firearms related activity
4. membership in a CMP affiliated organization.

The military services are CMP special affiliates (to include retirees). A legible photocopy (Xerox) of your military ID card (front and back, satisfies age, firearms related activity, and club membership. Anyone holding a military active duty, retiree, reserve or guard ID card is not required to join another club.

The military ID also serves as proof of citizenship for commissioned officers. Since an individual does not have to be a US citizen to serve as enlisted, a copy of a birth certificate or passport or any government document showing birth in the US or naturalization is also required for enlisteds.

If you are a recent purchaser, we already have your proof of citizenship on file.

In addition, Requirement #3 can be fulfilled by going to your local range with a weapon that you (or a friend) already owns, and going through a short test to prove to the range master that you know how to operate it safely. CMP has a form on their website detailing the requirements of the test. The range master signs that form, indicating you passed the test. Then you send that form in with the rest of your paperwork. That takes care of Requirement #3.

About Requirement #4... I recommend joining the Garand Collector's Association. They'll send you a nifty magazine every quarter with great stories, photo's, and tech. articles about Garands, and they automatically notify CMP that you've joined, so you don't have to do anything (except pay them; I forget how much it is).

That form chickenfried linked to above -- you'll have to get that notarized too, once you get it all filled out.