PDA

View Full Version : Opinion Please: KNS Receiver Pins (Takedown & Pivot)

Rock_Islander
01-13-2011, 9:19 PM
Hello everyone,

I was curious about the KNS Takedown (rear) Pin(s) and Pivot (front) Pin(s) for installation on AR type rifles. Does anyone have them installed on their rifle(s)?

And is excessive receiver wear at the pin holes really something to be concerned about over a period of time? I ask because I'm no rich man, and I currently own two AR-15 OLL's, but I hope to goodness that I don't see receiver wear at the pin holes anytime soon, or in the far future even.

Any firsthand insight/input from KNS Pin owners, and/or those who have experienced pin-hole wear would great.

Thanks,

R.I.

ADAM
01-13-2011, 9:48 PM
it is pita to do range clean up of your rifle.unless you have out of spec upper and lower there is no reason to use kns take down pins

Rock_Islander
01-13-2011, 9:50 PM
out of spec in what way? how can it being out of spec increase wear or cause for a need of the KNS takedown & pivot pins?

cfm117
01-13-2011, 9:54 PM
I had to install them on my
Spikes lower. After about 20 shots my trigger pin would fall in on one side so the trigger was canted. It wasn't just for looks in my case

xenophobe
01-13-2011, 9:55 PM
Don't even bother with them. Unnecessary flavor for your kool-aid.

How many thousands or tens of thousands of times are you going to push your pins in and out?

ADAM
01-13-2011, 10:04 PM
I had to install them on my
Spikes lower. After about 20 shots my trigger pin would fall in on one side so the trigger was canted. It wasn't just for looks in my case

his asking about take down pin.not trigger pins

ADAM
01-13-2011, 10:08 PM
most folks put kns take down pins to stop the upper lower woble.I have colt upper and sabre lowers and no woble both parts are mil spec.

Rock_Islander
01-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Don't even bother with them. Unnecessary flavor for your kool-aid.

How many thousands or tens of thousands of times are you going to push your pins in and out?

Okay well that sounds reassuring. I'm just worried because I literally push those pins out (then in) every time I shoot the rifle (to oil the bolt) and when I clean or service the thing. The last thing I want is loose pin holes sometime down the road.

ADAM
01-13-2011, 10:21 PM
you can oil the bolt from two small holes on the side of the bolt when the trap door is open. only take it apart for cleaning ;)

Rock_Islander
01-13-2011, 10:28 PM
you can oil the bolt from two small holes on the side of the bolt when the trap door is open. only take it apart for cleaning ;)

I definitely do that, but isn't it also wise to oil the entire bolt carrier group especially along its "slide" rails?

ADAM
01-13-2011, 10:33 PM
good oil prior range time will last you 2000 tousand rounds if not more

Rock_Islander
01-13-2011, 10:44 PM
ok coool, thanks guys for the input.

xenophobe
01-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Okay well that sounds reassuring. I'm just worried because I literally push those pins out (then in) every time I shoot the rifle (to oil the bolt) and when I clean or service the thing. The last thing I want is loose pin holes sometime down the road.

And even if there is a little play between upper and lower, you could go the easy route and get an accuwedge if it's all that concerning.... which it shouldn't be. Unless you're spending thousands on a long range/varmint/target gun a little receiver play isn't going to matter at all.

Rock_Islander
01-14-2011, 9:05 AM
And even if there is a little play between upper and lower, you could go the easy route and get an accuwedge if it's all that concerning.... which it shouldn't be. Unless you're spending thousands on a long range/varmint/target gun a little receiver play isn't going to matter at all.

I don't mind a little receiver play at all, I just don't want the takedown & pivot pin-holes to wear out to the point that, the pins that keep my upper and lower connected become so loose they cannot keep my receivers together...

dieselpower
01-14-2011, 9:36 AM
I use a KNS sling stud front take down and LOVE IT.

I keep it 1/2 turn loose to allow full range of motion on the sling, it can't unscrew itself past that without me knowing its happening. Deep cleaning takes a minute longer...its a non-issue. The fact my sling is attached to my reciever is a greater advantage than the loss of a minute on deep cleaning. Regular cleaning isnt effected since I never separate them for that.

The take down pin is standard type. There are tw types of front KNS sling pivot studs and two types on non-sling stud. Make sure you read on them all before choosing one. I have the screw together type sling stud. QD = "Opps, I didnt want that to happen" IMO.
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu272/Wiringguy/1216001252.jpg

xenophobe
01-14-2011, 11:11 AM
I don't mind a little receiver play at all, I just don't want the takedown & pivot pin-holes to wear out to the point that, the pins that keep my upper and lower connected become so loose they cannot keep my receivers together...

No need to worry. You would need to actuate them hundreds of times to notice any appreciable wear, you would need to actuate them thousands of times before wear even became an issue. Even if it became an issue, it would still be a non-issue. Wobble between lower and upper receivers is not just common, it's acceptable.

dfletcher
01-14-2011, 11:22 AM
I tried them, found them to be a PITA to actuate. They fit fine but that whole "press & pull and push" was too much trouble.

captbilly
01-14-2011, 7:50 PM
it is pita to do range clean up of your rifle.unless you have out of spec upper and lower there is no reason to use kns take down pins

Is there some specific thing you believe that Obama should be impeached for, as in some law that he has broken, or do you just not like the guy? As you probably know Reagan did commit clearly impeachable offences (selling weapons to Iran and the Nicaraguan contras in direct violation of law) but he was never impeached. Bush directly violated the FISA with his order to tap phone conversations without a FISA Court order but he was never impeached. I am no political expert but I know of no similarly egregious thing that Obama has done so I was wondering if you could enlighten us?

dieselpower
01-14-2011, 9:44 PM
Is there some specific thing you believe that Obama should be impeached for, as in some law that he has broken, or do you just not like the guy? As you probably know Reagan did commit clearly impeachable offences (selling weapons to Iran and the Nicaraguan contras in direct violation of law) but he was never impeached. Bush directly violated the FISA with his order to tap phone conversations without a FISA Court order but he was never impeached. I am no political expert but I know of no similarly egregious thing that Obama has done so I was wondering if you could enlighten us?

we will ignore the whole born in another country thing....

FTR, I think he is doing a fair job. He didnt do what he said he was going to do, which tells me he's just like any other politician.