PDA

View Full Version : Best Cali-legal SHTF choices?

TonyNorCal
08-13-2006, 8:12 PM
Let's be realistic and assume one long gun and one handgun is what you can/would want to carry.

Rifle...
I'm going with .30 caliber battle rifles, my top 3, not necessarily in order...

M-14 with all USGI parts
FAL
Garand

Handgun
.357 wheelgun, Ruger GP-100, Smith and Wesson 686, etc

Of course, I wouldn't feel outgunned with an M44:p

Satex
08-13-2006, 8:23 PM
I feel that any old school rifles are less than ideal for SHTF for the simple reason that most modern engagements are short, fast, and would most likely happen in urban settings.
Under such circumstances, I prefer a carbine rifle that is short and maneuverable over any telephone pole. As a matter of fact, if you need a 300 yard rifle, you probably shouldn’t be engaging the activity and just stay put.

TonyNorCal
08-13-2006, 8:31 PM
Pistol SIG P229 40SW, SIG P226 9MM, Para Ord P14 45ACP.

Rifle: FN FAL 50.61, 50.63 HK-41, HK-91, SIG AMT.

Im assuming that your talking about Laws arent an issue kind of senario.

Tony how about a poll a real good one
A poll would be good:) You should make one.

I was going with Cali-legal options. My thinking being one needs to acquire the rifle during legally while all is well.

Ironballs
08-13-2006, 8:40 PM
fal or garand would be decent b/c stripper clip loading... but my preference is for the m1a... socom16 to to be exact...

All those wheel guns would work for you,... (had both 686 and gp100, both fantastic)... but a Glock 21 or 20 would go a long way in a shtf situ imho

the su16 is so light, handy, powerful, reliable and easy, and suited for urban, it should not be overlooked

rorschach
08-13-2006, 11:45 PM
Would you really want to shoot an HK41?? I mean, shouldnt that be pampered in a climate controlled safe?? I've been holding out for one for a while now, but it seems like whenever I do find a nice one, it's not a shooter, or it's been restored, and the owner wants like 6 or 7 grand.

You cant go wrong with an FAL or a Garand. If SHTF, me personally, would pop my little mag catch doohicky out of my PTR91K and slap in the 20 rounders man!!

As far as pistols go, jeez I dunno. The one closest to me?? Ideally, a 1911, perhaps a Kimber. Maybe a Browning Hi-Power or Glock G17? HK USP45?? I really cant answer that, I have too many pistols and I love them all!! It wont be the Smith 500 though.

grammaton76
08-13-2006, 11:48 PM
PTR-91 with the telescoping stock. Perfectly legal when you've got a mag pinned, and the mag lock is pretty easy to remove in SHTF. I happen to already have 20rd mags for it - I can't pin any of them in place though or I'm creating an AW, so I'm presently stuck loading 5rds through the ejection port until I get a housing to butcher up for gripless use.

Now, one other option I would seriously consider would be pulling the Sporting Conversion kit off of my M4gery and loading up with 77gr Nosler-tipped bullets, which will easily fit into my numerous USGI mags. The whole point of that aggressive 1:7 twist on an M4 profile barrel, is to stabilize heavy bullets. And for concealability, ergonomics, weight issues, and ammo availability, that M4gery will beat the PTR.

JPglee1
08-13-2006, 11:58 PM
, so I'm presently stuck loading 5rds through the ejection port until I get a housing to butcher up for gripless use.
Dude I found a place that has stripped lowers for $15, and complete SEF lowers (push pin of course) for $99.00....

J

anotherone
08-14-2006, 5:24 AM
Well as much as I'd like to say I'd depend on my Garand of M-14 if SHTF that just isn't the case. If SHTF I'm pullin out my allen wrench and dropping the mag on my cali AR-15s.

GJJ
08-14-2006, 5:30 AM
If SHTF I'm pullin out my allen wrench and dropping the mag on my cali AR-15s.

... Gasp. DOJ is going to get mad at you...

grammaton76
08-14-2006, 1:55 PM
Dude I found a place that has stripped lowers for $15, and complete SEF lowers (push pin of course) for $99.00....

Hmm, where's this place at? I've been meaning to get more serious about looking for it lately, and I guess now is as good a time as any...

NorCal MedTac
08-14-2006, 2:12 PM
A poll would be good:) You should make one.

How do you make a poll?

I'd go with my scout and my kimber tac custom 2.

grammaton76
08-14-2006, 2:22 PM
How do you make a poll?

Post a new thread, then look in the options down below where it talks about creating a new poll. It's a multi step process, but fairly apparent once you get it going. By the way, if you end up needing more options on your poll, you can still change the options before you finally post it.

TonyNorCal
08-14-2006, 2:22 PM
How do you make a poll?

When you go to post a new thread scroll all the way to the bottom...under 'additional options'

The last choice is to include a poll.

Click that and then hit submit...it will take you to a screen to create the poll. You can also then adjust the number of choices before posting it in finality.

rorschach
08-14-2006, 2:45 PM
Hmm, where's this place at? I've been meaning to get more serious about looking for it lately, and I guess now is as good a time as any...

I think he's referring to http://www.robertrtg.com

I get a lot of HK stuff from Robert, he's a standup guy.

JPglee1
08-14-2006, 2:52 PM
I think he's referring to http://www.robertrtg.com

I get a lot of HK stuff from Robert, he's a standup guy.

Thats the place :D

J

chiefcrash
08-14-2006, 3:53 PM
i'm sure someone will shoot me for saying this, but:

A Ruger PC4 carbine and a Ruger P-91. They both use the same ammo AND the same mags. Compact and easy to cary

The SoCal Gunner
08-14-2006, 4:00 PM
Depends on the situation. If I am baracading myself in my home a 12 guage would be the way to go with any of my pistols nearby with which I possess standard capacity magazines.

magmaster
08-14-2006, 4:40 PM
A good pump action 12 guage shotgun with some slugs and 00 buck shot should suit most of your SHTF needs. Slugs are easily good out to 100 yards and will take down almost anything that walks. 00 buck for the close in work. And thats a perfect CA legal weapon. Next would be an SKS for pure reliability and good firepower inside of 300 yards.

E__WOK
08-14-2006, 7:36 PM
http://www.gilbertindoorrange.com/Gilberts/Firearm_pics/Guns%20for%20Sale/BAR.jpg

C.G.
08-14-2006, 7:52 PM
http://www.gilbertindoorrange.com/Gilberts/Firearm_pics/Guns%20for%20Sale/BAR.jpg

I considered that one while back, but I was told the mags are not easy to get.

Tzvia
08-14-2006, 7:56 PM
Well, if it were a riot type issue, (not that we've ever had riots here in L.A.) I would take a shotgun like my Remington 11. Wood and Blued steel have a comforting feel, one must keep their cool in a stressfull environment. My Browning HP with it's preban mags. My Smith -KISS- K frame 65, 357 which is always ready here (about 3 ft from me right now.) And my 1907 vintage Winchester 30-30 Saddle ring carbine (something about wood and blued steel again.) I could also make a case for my Saginaw S'G' M1 carbine; light, compact and handy at short distance. I don't need the power of even my M1 Garand; we are talking me to the front or back door/porch distances. Worst case would be down to street level from my house if I saw someone with an incendary device who was about to burn my house down with me in it. If they are blocks away, it's not self defense, long range rifles are not needed.

rick_in_lb
08-14-2006, 9:13 PM
i'm sure someone will shoot me for saying this, but:

A Ruger PC4 carbine and a Ruger P-91. They both use the same ammo AND the same mags. Compact and easy to cary

Actually I have the PC4 and will purchase a P-91 or equiv. pistol for this reason!
PC4 works great and maybe I will pick up another if the price is right:D

anotherone
08-15-2006, 1:36 AM
I considered that one while back, but I was told the mags are not easy to get.

River City Gun Exchange in Sacramento has a semi-auto BAR in stock right now. They told me that if someone were to be able to purchase it, they'd be happy to supply the 10 round mags. I assume they'd just "permenantly" alter 20 rounders to hold just 10 rounds. Wow... I got to use the latest gun control buzz word... "Permenant":rolleyes: !

rorschach
08-15-2006, 1:49 AM
BAR = LBS.

Quite nostalgic, takes 30-06 detatchable mags, and I'd love to own one someday, but hardly my choice in a SHTF rifle.

Maddog5150
08-15-2006, 2:10 AM
I would say a good mini30. Its afforadable, light, has detachable mags, has good stopping power and ammo is cheap so its easy to stock up on.

As for a handgun I would say a good 4-6 inch revolver like a 686.

wuhungsix
08-15-2006, 2:19 AM
River City Gun Exchange in Sacramento has a semi-auto BAR in stock right now. They told me that if someone were to be able to purchase it, they'd be happy to supply the 10 round mags. I assume they'd just "permenantly" alter 20 rounders to hold just 10 rounds. Wow... I got to use the latest gun control buzz word... "Permenant":rolleyes: !

I saw that BAR last week. Did you get a chance to look at the price tag? I wanted to but feared a for my health.:o

Rob454
08-15-2006, 8:13 PM
I would take my 12 ga shotgun with buck and slug ammo. ( I woudl prefer a Saiga shotgun but a pump action will work.
For sidearm I would use my 44 magnum.
Thats for close up stuff.

Anything past that I woudl use a 30 -06 or my SKS
44 for side arm.

the 44 woudl be for psychological gain. My gain his loss.

Personally I think that a shotgun would be perfect. Most fighting is done withing shotgun range not 3-600 Yards away. Most people cant even shoot that far accurately. And lets face it its dark youre sneaking up on someone and he just ratchets a shotgun. You know he is there and even if he is blind as a freaking bat he will most likely hit you with some of the shot. That is if its not a semi auto shotgun and he just sprays the whole area turning you into a steaming pile of red meat.

ivanimal
08-15-2006, 9:08 PM
I stand by the Mini 14 and a 357 Ruger Security Six. I have shot those two guns so many times I could hardly tell where they end and I begin. Its all about what I feel comfortable with isn't it?:D

Okami
08-15-2006, 10:55 PM
I stand by the Mini 14 and a 357 Ruger Security Six. I have shot those two guns so many times I could hardly tell where they end and I begin. Its all about what I feel comfortable with isn't it?:D
+1 It'll be a Witness in .45 and Garand for me.:cool:

oaklander
08-15-2006, 11:10 PM
M1 Carbine.

Still popular in South America for crowd control.

Also - easy to shoot and easy to show someone how to use.

For sheer firepower - Mauser with Turk ammo. The bullet is almost four times heavier than M193 ball ammo, and the early Turk has been chrono'd at way over 3000 FPS.

Mudvayne540ld
08-15-2006, 11:13 PM
I stand by the Mini 14... +1 I would also use my Mini-14 and the 870.
The only handgun I have is a rusty old Grendal(not the outside, just all the internals). Never fired it, but my dad was gunna destroy it, so I took it. Makes a good wall hanger.