PDA

View Full Version : Min. Barrel Length?

tacticalcity
08-13-2006, 6:46 PM
I know SB23 says an M4gery has to be over 30" total (tip of barrel to the end of the stock). Is there another law, maybe federal that says how long the barrel must be?

With a 16" Barrel and an A2 stock it measures 35.5". Putting a 14.5" barrel would still make it over 30".

Am I missing something? If so, please tell me which law it is so I can cite it if asked.

SemiAutoSam
08-13-2006, 6:51 PM
With a 14.5 inch barrel you would be committing a felony.
A 16 inch barrel is the minimum leagth according to both federal law and state law.

Using a 14.5 inch barrel unless the barrel had a perm attached flash hider that brings the total leanth to at least 16 inches long would be considered a SBR (short barreled rifle) aka NFA WEAPON

blacklisted
08-13-2006, 6:52 PM
I know SB23 says an M4gery has to be over 30" total (tip of barrel to the end of the stock). Is there another law, maybe federal that says how long the barrel must be?

With a 16" Barrel and an A2 stock it measures 35.5". Putting a 14.5" barrel would still make it over 30".

Am I missing something? If so, please tell me which law it is so I can cite it if asked.

Barrel length must be over 16", or it is a short-barreled rifle. You can have a 14.5" barrel, BUT IT MUST have a muzzle attachment permanently attached to bring the overall length of the barrel to 16" or greater.

VeryCoolCat
08-13-2006, 6:55 PM

Federal law says 16" barrel length for rifles.
CA State Law says 30" overall

Federal law says 26" for shotguns.
Same for Californa

tacticalcity
08-13-2006, 7:03 PM
Ok, just asking. Definately don't want to break the law.

Do you buy chance know the name of bill, or have a link?

I think myself and others would benifit from reading the exact text of law.

SemiAutoSam
08-13-2006, 7:07 PM
Its just federal law and state law the california doj's website would have the state law and the BATF website would have the federal.

Here is federal law or at least part of it GCA68
http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/gca.htm

blacklisted
08-13-2006, 7:09 PM

All you really need to know for barrel length is federal law, and that is governed by the National Firearms Act (NFA). California law also defines short barreled rifle.

Mssr. Eleganté
08-13-2006, 11:36 PM

As others have said, for the Federal law just check out the National Firearms Act of 1934. Below is the text of the relevant section. Keep in mind that the law was originally written to tax and register all firearms. After pro-gun groups protested, the law was "watered down" to only tax and register machine guns, short barrelled rifles and shotguns, and destructive devices. The Congressman who wrote the law lamented that it had become nothing more than a "machinegun registration act". So the below definiton of "firearm" only applies to the tax and registration provisions of this act.

Title 26
Chapter 53
Subchapter B
Part I
Section 5845(a)

For the purpose of this chapter --

...Firearm. -- The term "firearm" means (1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length

bwiese
08-13-2006, 11:54 PM
Clarifying the above:

In CA semiauto centerfire rifles must have overall length 30" or longer.

Others can be 26" min length. PC 12276.1 lists generic descriptions of assault weapons in CA, where
this 30" min length for semiauto centerfire rifles is codified.

Federally, any long gun must be 26" or longer.

Federally and CA, rifle barrels must be 16" or longer. Shotgun barrels must be 18" or longer.

If barrel is shorter, a muzzle device bringing barrel to legal min. length muze be permanently attached; BATF standard is pinned & welded or 1200 deg silver soldered.

BATF standard is that barrel length is measured to bolt face.

grammaton76
08-14-2006, 12:24 AM
In CA semiauto centerfire rifles must have overall length 30" or longer.

Ooo - that's only applying to semi-autos?

Very nice! So then, my underfolding Yugo AK with a brand-new barrel with NO gas port (thus, impossible for it to be semi) can be 26" OAL? That'd be the coolest thing ever! I might still have to perma-lengthen it to reach 26" (won't know until I start taking measurements), but it can still be 4" shorter than it would've been otherwise.

bwiese
08-14-2006, 4:14 AM
Ooo - that's only applying to semi-autos?

Yes. Anything else can be 26" overall. But semiauto centerfire rifles under 30" are considered assault weapons.

my underfolding Yugo AK with a brand-new barrel with NO gas port (thus, impossible for it to be semi) can be 26" OAL?

Good man! Yes, your rifle is not a semiauto. It'll be a manual-cycled rifle, and can have a pistol grip and detachable magazine and folder stock. Leave the gas system out (incl piston).